Nothing says extra fun more than jumbo funfetti cookies full of sprinkles and a light, chewy texture!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Easy Jumbo Sprinkle-Packed Funfetti Cookies
Anytime of the year or the day is a great time for a cookie and this one is a crowd pleaser for young and old.
Most people think of Funfetti as Pillsbury’s kid birthday party box cake mix but funfetti describes any white cake with rainbow sprinkles. In this case we are taking it one step further to create giant sprinkle filled cookies!
How to Make Jumbo Funfetti Cookies
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- All Purpose Flour – flour is important as the base of any baking recipe because of the gluten and protein content and in this case we combine all purpose and cake flour to get a soft chewy texture. All purpose flour is higher in protein therefore has better structure so our cookies will hold together.
- Cake Flour – cake flour has a very low protein content which will result in a softer chewier cookie which is what we want in this case.
- Cornstarch – cornstarch is a carbohydrate extract which will help thicken the batter and make a denser cookie. We want a light but also dense cookie in this case.
- Baking Soda – this “leavener” will help make our cookie lighter and give it a nice rise.
- Baking Powder – baking powder is also a “leavener” and will react with the baking soda and the acids in the recipe to create carbon dioxide. Basically, it makes bubbles which bake in the oven and lighten up the cookies as they bake.
- Salt – salt is a must in every recipe. It enhances and brings the flavor out of any recipe.
- Unsalted Butter – Butter is fat and therefore gives these cookies a richness only butter can. It is very important to use unsalted butter whenever baking. Different butter companies add different amounts of salt to their butter and it’s important especially when making sweet recipes to control the amount of salt. No one wants an overly salty sprinkle cookie…
- Granulated Sugar – It’s a cookie so we will be using sugar to sweeten it. There are a lot of different types of sugar but the important thing here is to use a type of granulated sugar. We will use white sugar for this recipe. If you substitute honey or maple syrup the consistency will be off so please stick to a granulated sugar.
- Eggs – Eggs are an important way of adding structure to your cookies. Their high protein content helps give the cookies a nice shape while also adding flavor and richness.
- Egg Yolks – Egg yolks add a lot of richness to the cookies as well as keep them chewy. If you struggle with separating eggs try doing it over a separate bowl and after cracking the egg, pass the egg between the 2 shells until the white falls into the prepared bowl below.
- Almond Extract or Cake Batter Extract – These extracts are what will make your jumbo funfetti cookies taste Funfetti-e. They are very strong so be careful not to use more than the amount listed. You should be able to find either of these in your regular grocery store in the baking section, often next to the spices.
- Rainbow Sprinkles – Who doesn’t love a little color? You can of course use regular sprinkles but rainbow sprinkles are part of what makes these funfetti cookies.
One you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Mix. Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and set aside. Then use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to cream the butter and sugar together. This is a very important step so take you time and be sure you cream them for at least 2 minutes. Add the eggs and the extracts to the mixer and mix until combined. Put the mixer on a slower speed and add the dry ingredients slowly so that everything combines well. Add half of the rainbow sprinkles and mix until combined. Make the dough into large balls (remember these are jumbo) and roll them in the remaining sprinkles. Place them on a baking sheet that has been lined with a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper to prevent them from sticking.
- Bake. Bake the cookies at 400 degrees for 9 to 11 minutes. If you bake multiple batches, be sure to watch each one. The later batches may cook a little faster. You will know they are done when the tops are no longer doughy, they will be light in color. Make sure you let them rest on the baking tray for at least 15 minutes. This helps them finish cooking.
- Enjoy! Enjoy eating them!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Funfetti Cookies
Make them smaller. If you do not want to make these cookies “jumbo” size you can make them smaller just adjust the baking time accordingly. They will still need to rest for 15 minutes on the baking tray after they are taken out of the oven regardless of size.
Keep up to a week! These cookies store well in an airtight container and will stay soft for up to a week. They also freeze well and will retain a soft texture.
Yes, the texture will be a little bit different though. Cake flour makes the cookies light and airy because of its low protein content. All Purpose flour has more of a medium protein content so is an ok alternative, do not use bread flour or any other flour though since it has a very high protein content.
Technically you can use any extract in this recipe. Using vanilla extract will make this taste less like what you would expect of “Funfetti” since the distinguishing taste is cake batter/almond extract. It will still taste good though so go for it.
Store cookies in an airtight container up to one week, or freeze for up to four months.
What to Serve With Funfetti Cookies
For more of our favorite cookie recipes, find our recent favorites below:
Easy Jumbo Funfetti Cookies Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Delicious, soft, chewy funfetti cookies loaded with sprinkles that are are extra big!
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups Cake Flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp almond extract or cake batter extract
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles, divided in half
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Whisk the flour, cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer and paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, egg yolks and almond extract and blend until well mixed. Use a rubber spatula to get anything stuck off the sides.
- Turn the mixer on a low setting and gradually add in the flour mixture. About a ½ cup at a time. Add about ¼ to ½ cup of rainbow sprinkles. Mix until well incorporated.
- Using your hands, grab the dough to form a ball about an inch thick. Roll the ball into the rainbow sprinkles. Place on the cookie sheet.
- Repeat until the dough is gone.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Let them rest on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Fancy Sprinkles Edible Glitter Sprinkle Mix for Baking, Cake and Cookie Decorating, Classic Rainbow Jimmies in White, Pink, and Blue, 4oz.
Silpat Perfect Cookie Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
KitchenAid KSM150PSPT Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Pistachio
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Set of 2, Aluminized Steel
Amount Per Serving Calories 485Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 119mgSodium 372mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 1gSugar 29gProtein 7g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.