Sep 27, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Grab your edible eyeballs and candy corn it’s time to decorate spooky cookies with the kids! These Frankenstein cookies are absolutely adorable and are a quick and easy way to bring some Halloween spirit into your home.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Easy Dipped Frankenstein Cookies
My kids love Halloween and they always help me make a bunch of spooky treats for our annual Halloween party. This cookie recipe is one that they can easily make since it uses a premade cookie base and has fun sprinkles and basic piping. My oldest always wants to do everything himself so he is in charge of Frankenstein cookies this year.
For those of you who don’t know, Frankenstein is a fictional creature from Mary Shelley’s novel Frankenstein. Frankenstein was actually the name of the scientist who made the man-like creature but has come to mean the creature itself. It’s ok if your cookies look a little rough and patched up since Frankenstein was a stitched together monster who was a little rough on the eyes. The most important thing is to have some fun creating these delicious man-like cookies!
How to Make Frankenstein Cookies
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Chocolate covered graham cracker cookies – these cookies are premade which will make your life so much easier and they taste delicious. If you want to substitute a different cookie make sure you choose one that is flat and ideally rectangular. You want the cookies to be recognizable as Frankenstein so the shape of the head matters.
- Green frosting – color is critical to give these cookies that Frankestein feel so make sure you use green frosting. I prefer to use pre-made frosting just to make things easy but you can use homemade and add a little liquid green food coloring.
- Chocolate frosting – you want both the color and the taste of this frosting, you can use pre-made or make your own.
- Candy eyeballs – you can find these online or in most stores in the fall and before Halloween. You can also make your own candy eyeballs, see tip #1 below.
- Purple sprinkles – I use purple sprinkles here because they contrast well with the green frosting and the color combination is very “Halloween-y.” You can use other colors but remember, if you use red sprinkles it will look like you are making Christmas Frankestein cookies.
- Candy corn – I use candy corn to make the bolts sticking out of Frankenstein’s neck. You can opt for another candy but make sure it’s something that can be stuck to the side of the cookie and will stay in place.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Prep – Prepare your work station. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to ensure the cookies won’t stick. We won’t be baking anything so a cooling rack will work as well. Set the cookies out on the parchment paper.
- Decorate – Decorate the cookies. Use a spatula or butter knife to cover each cookie with green frosting, don’t forget the top and sides. Spread the sprinkles on the top third of the cookie to create his hair, push the candy eyes in just below the hair. Use the chocolate frosting to pipe his scar and mouth. Feel free to make whatever silly or spooky faces you want. Cut the white tips off the candy corn and dip the cut side in a little green frosting so you can stick them to the sides of the Frankenstein for his bolts.
- Enjoy – Eat them right away or refrigerate them to help the frosting set.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Frankenstein Cookies:
These cookies are a delight to make with you kids. Here is some extra information to help you assemble with ease.
Make your own edible eyeballs. To make edible eyeballs you will need some white chocolate chips and some dark chocolate chips. Melt each in the microwave then put a larger dot of melted dark chocolate on a piece of parchment paper and refrigerate to set for about 5 minutes. Then use a toothpick to add a smaller amount of melted white chocolate to the center of the dark chocolate dots. Refrigerate again to set then they are ready for your Frankenstein cookies.
Use kitchen scissors or tweezers to place eyeballs. Getting the eyeballs in the right spot can be a little tricky and messy. Tweezers or the flat side of kitchen scissors will let you place the eyes more cleanly and precisely.
What tools do I need to make Frankenstein cookies?
- Baking Sheet
- Cookie Cooling Rack
- Offset spatula
- Parchment Paper
- Kitchen Tweezers
Place the cookies in an airtight container or on a platter wrapped with plastic wrap in a single layer, do not stack them or the frosting will stick to the other cookies. These will stay fresh for up to 3 days if wrapped tightly.
While you can use any icing for this recipe I recommend using royal icing since it will set without refrigeration and will give you a cleaner look for the pipped mouth and scars.
What to Serve With Frankenstein Cookies?
If you liked these Frankenstein cookies you will also love these Halloween favorites, Halloween Bark, Spooky Halloween Punch with gummy worms and eyes, Halloween Oreo Krispie Treats Halloween Oreo Rice Krispie Treats Fall Dessert for Kids (sweetcsdesigns.com) Pumpkin Spice Dump Muffins with Chocolate Chips and Hazelnuts Pumpkin Spice Dump Muffins with Chocolate Chips and Hazelnuts – Sweet Cs Designs Easy Baked Apples with Figs Easy Baked Apples With Figs Recipe – Sweet Cs Designs Instant Pot Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Instant Pot Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Recipe – Sweet Cs Designs
Frankenstein Cookies Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 10 chocolate covered graham cracker cookies
- 1 cup green frosting
- ½ cup chocolate frosting
- 20 candy eyeballs (assortment of small and large)
- 1 cup of purple sprinkles
- 10 pieces of candy corn
- First, cut the white tips off of all 10 candy corn pieces and set them aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a cookie cooling rack and place each of the cookies on top.
- Using a butter knife or offset spatula, spread about a tablespoon and a half of green icing over each of the cookies. Make sure to add some on top and some on both sides of the cookie, covering completely.
- Next sprinkle the purple sprinkles on to the top third of the cookie to create Frankenstein's hair.
- Next, place two candy eyes right below the hairline.
- Then place the chocolate frosting in a plastic baggie or piping bag and pipe on a smile and scar marks to each little Frankenstein.
- Lastly, dip the cut side of each candy corn in a little bit of green frosting and stick two pieces to each side of the cookie to create bolts.
- These can be eaten right away or you can put the decorated cookies in the refrigerator to help set the frosting. They can be a little messy but so fun for kids to decorate and eat!
- It might be easier to place the eyeballs and sprinkles on with the help of some kitchen scissors.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
1 Bottle Candy Eyeballs Eyes Cake Cupcake Toppers Cookie Decorations Edible Dessert Sprinkles for Halloween Christmas Cake Cupcakes Decoration
Piping Bags and Tips Set, Cake Decorating Supplies for Baking with Reusable Pastry Bags and Tips, Standard Converters, Silicone Rings, Cake Decorating Tools for Cookie Icing, Cake, Cupcake
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
Tangoowal 2 Pcs High Quality 12-Inch Fine Tweezer Tongs,Extra-Long Stainless Steel Tweezers Tongs
Icing Spatula, U-Taste Offset Spatula Set with 6", 8", 10" Blade, 18/0 Stainless Steel with PP Plastic Handle Angled Cake Decorating Frosting Spatula Set of 3 (Teal/Aqua Sky)
Nordic Ware 3 Piece Baker's Delight Set, 1 Pack, Aluminum
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 398Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 2mgSodium 117mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 1gSugar 51gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.