Easy Vegan Lentil and Veggie Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Easy Low Carb Vegan Lentil and Veggie Stuffed Peppers are packed with protein and have a rich, meaty flavor in a quick and delicious baked vegan stuffed pepper recipe that will keep you full all day long!
These Lentil Stuffed Peppers are a delicious, slightly spicy dish that you'll crave year-round - and because it comes together so easily, incorporating this as a meatless monday staple will help break up the monotony!
Lentils are cheap, easy to prepare, and less draining on our bodies than prepared foods. So they are pretty much no-brainer for our family- especially during times like Lent when we eat very little fat or protein - and they taste great!
Lentils have a delicious, meaty flavor, without adding meat - and are very heart healthy and packed with fiber. They are a great lower calorie and low fat source of protein and perfect for fueling up when sticking to a vegan diet!
Tips To Perfect Easy Baked Lentil Stuffed Peppers
You're really only going to be actively cooking for about 15 minutes, including the prep- making this a great weekday meal.
It also makes delicious leftovers!
I sometimes think leftover lentils dry out a bit when reheating for lunch the next day, but the bell pepper base provides plenty of liquid to keep the dish together.
This is a great make-ahead dish that I like to have ready for my husband to take to work. It's far healthier than fast food, and incredibly inexpensive.
Easy Baked Lentil Stuffed Pepper Flavor Variations
I am preparing this as a taco-style flavor - but you could easily adjust the seasonings to make this dish fit a variety of tastes- try it as a curry, with coconut aminos for a soy-sauce like flavor, or even spaghetti sauce!
Lentils go well with a wide variety of flavors, so don't be afraid to try different things out.
If you eat meat-free, but eat dairy, these peppers are great with a little melted cheese. If there is a vegan cheese you like that melts well, you can top these peppers with that, too! The sky is the limit when it comes to flavor options for this dish.
Easy Baked Vegan Lentil Stuffed Pepper Recipe
- 3 bell peppers, halved and de-seeded
- 2 tbsp olive/sunflower/coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, quartered and then diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 package steamed, ready to cook lentils (17.63 ounces- find in your grocer's refrigerated salad section)
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- In a large pan on medium high heat, add onion and cook until soft.
- Add zucchini, diced bell pepper and continue to cook until soft and slightly browned.
- Add lentils and spices and continue to cook until vegetables are browned and spice mixture has completely mixed.
- You may need to add a little more oil or a little water if your veggies aren't giving off a lot of water. Don't drown it- just add a little bit at a time until you have a good consistency, like you would with taco seasoning.
- Add mixture to halved peppers and bake at 350 until peppers are soft, about 20 minutes.
- If you aren't following a vegan diet, you could add some sharp cheddar cheese as a delicious topping (my kids love anything with cheese- it's a good way to get them eating things they wouldn't otherwise.)