One Pot Creamy Lemon Italian Chicken Mushroom and Asparagus Skillet
This One Pan Creamy Lemon Italian Chicken and Asparagus Skillet is a rich and flavorful dish full of hearty creamy chicken flavors – perfect over pasta, rice, vegetables, or straight out of the pan! A rich and creamy Italian chicken and vegetables one pot dinner in under 30 minutes!
If you’re looking for a creamy, rich, and delicious chicken thigh recipe – look no further. This one pot creamy lemon chicken asparagus and mushroom skillet is a complete keto or paleo diet meal in one pan that everyone in the family will love!
This rich and delicious creamy lemon chicken is great over pasta as well – simply ladle over fettuccine, spaghetti, or linguine for a delicious dinner the whole family loves. Orzo, cous cous, and rice are also fabulous options to serve with or under this dish for a creamy lemon chicken and vegetables dinner!
This creamy Italian chicken recipe is bursting with flavor from just one pan – and the best part is that this recipe is both keto and paleo diet friendly so you can still enjoy it on a low carb diet!
When you’re eating creamy lemon Italian keto chicken with veggies, who even feels like you’re on a diet?
Tips to Perfect One Pot Creamy Italian Chicken and Asparagus:
-Let the chicken thighs crisp and brown, regardless of listed cook time. All stoves are different, and one woman’s medium-high is another woman’s low. You want crisp, delicious chicken to really make this dish stand out – and getting lovely browned chicken is a major part of that. High heat to help crisp chicken thighs (they won’t be completely cooked when you pull them from the pan, but will finish cooking when put back in the sauce) is ESSENTIAL. Nobody wants flabby chicken.
-Unravel your chicken thighs. If you want fooproof crispy chicken thighs with NO weird texture or extra fat, simply unroll them! If you’re using bone-in chicken thighs, you might have to remove the bones for this, but if you roll the chicken thigh out so it lays almost flat, the fat will render evenly and help your chicken thigh crisp up a lot better, giving it an even, delicious flavor. It can look a little funny since you don’t often see chicken thighs displayed that way, but it TASTES amazing.
-Turn heat OFF when adding cream. This is the easiest way to make sure your cream sauce doesn’t break – turn off heat while adding cream to pan! Then, whisk that vigorously and slowly add heat back. Works like a charm!
Creamy Lemon Italian Chicken Thigh and Vegetables Skillet Ingredient Swap Ideas:
If you love the idea of this dish, but you’re not totally on board with some of the ingredients, here are some of my favorite swaps!
-Instead of chicken thighs, use small chicken breasts. Cooking time will vary, but the same process will be used to cook the chicken breasts. When the outside is lovely crisp and golden brown, remove from pan to make sauce. When sauce is made, add chicken back to pan, and cook until it’s reached 165 degrees internal temperature. Thinner chicken breasts work better here – so if you have very fat chicken breasts, simply “butterfly” them and cut them in half, to make two chicken breasts who aren’t so thick they will take forever to reach 165 degrees internally.
-Swap mushrooms or asparagus for other veggies. The sky is the limit here – some of my favorite swaps include broccoli, bell peppers (cut into 1″ bites), snap peas, english peas, cauliflower,
-Serve over cauliflower rice for a creamy keto chicken power bowl that will fuel your whole day.
Other One Pot Chicken Dinners You’ll Love:
If you love this One Pot Creamy Italian Chicken and Asparagus be sure to check out my other one pot chicken dinners! Be sure to click to watch me make some of the popular dishes to see just how easy they are to make!
To Make This One Pot Creamy Italian Chicken and Asparagus Recipe, You’ll Need:
One Pot Creamy Lemon Italian Chicken Mushroom and Asparagus Skillet Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on facebook and pinterest!
This One Pan Creamy Lemon Italian Chicken and Asparagus Skillet is a rich and flavorful dish full of hearty creamy chicken flavors - perfect over pasta, rice, vegetables, or straight out of the pan! A rich and creamy Italian chicken and vegetables one pot dinner in under 30 minutes!
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- PINCH of salt, very small amount - but if using low sodium stock or unsalted butter, ok to use a little more salt
- 4 chicken thighs, bones removed (skinless or with skin OK)
- 6-10 cloves garlic, sliced in half or finely diced (I like big chunks of garlic but realize most don't)
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, stems removed and wiped clean
- 1 bunch asparagus stalks, woody ends trimmed off and discarded (optional- cut into 2-3" bits)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 1 pinch to 1 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on your desired spicy level
- ½ cup diced cilantro, optional
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Heat a heavy pan on medium high until very hot.
- Add butter, swirl around pan, and let melt.
- When butter is foamy and melted, add chicken thighs.
- Very lightly salt chicken thighs (ONE pinch for all things - don't overdo it!)
- Cook chicken thighs 5 minutes on each side, until lovely golden brown.
- When chicken thighs are well browned, remove from pan.
- Add garlic to pan, stir well.
- Add mushrooms and asparagus to pan, stirring occasionally to keep mushrooms and garlic from burning.
- When vegetables are browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain excess fat from pan, but don't clean out.
- Return heat to high and add stock and lemon juice to pan (watch out for steam), and scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Turn heat to medium high.
- Add second half of butter to pan, let melt.
- Turn heat off, and slowly add cream and parmesan cheese, whisking vigorously as you add it.
- Return heat to medium high.
- Add chicken thighs back to pan, let sauce reduce another 5-8 minutes, flipping chicken occasionally, until thick and chicken thighs are 165 internal temp.
- Before chicken is all the way to 165, add vegetables back into pan and mix well to ensure it is evenly coated with sauce.
- Top with red pepper flakes and fresh diced parsley if desired.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately!
Amount Per Serving Calories 415 Saturated Fat 18g Cholesterol 152mg Sodium 268mg Carbohydrates 5g Sugar 1g Protein 16g