Rocky Road Fudge
Dec 17, 2014, Updated Dec 07, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Calling all fans of the classic Rocky Road ice cream! This mouthwatering rocky road fudge is super simple with just 6 ingredients and is the perfect combination of nuts, marshmallow, and chocolate fudge.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Rocky Road Fudge
We’ve been furiously making some delicious, easy and festive treats in the lead up to Christmas. I have been pretty off my game this year since I just had a major surgery, but my mom has been staying with us to help with the kids and help get us ready for Christmas. It has been hard to balance recovering with trying to make things festive and fun for my two young kids who love the magic and wonder of Christmas- so making simple, easy and delicious treats this year has been our focus.
This rocky road fudge is full of ooey, gooey marshmallows, tons of rich chocolate flavor, and took under 10 minutes of active time to make. It is insanely delicious and perfect for gifts for teachers, friends, and neighbors!
How to make Rocky Road Fudge
First assemble the following ingredients:
- Milk chocolate chips – milk chocolate chips melt well and are higher in fat and sweetener which is what we want for this recipe.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – I use some milk chocolate chips and some semi-sweet chocolate chips to get the richness from the milk chocolate but also the bitterness from the semi-sweet. You can use all semi-sweet if you want a slightly more bitter fudge.
- Butter or Margarine – either one of these will work. They help all the ingredients to bind together while still being soft at room temperature. Use salted butter.
- Sweetened condensed milk – sweetened condensed milk has a very thick consistency but is a great way to sweeten this fudge evenly and help create the expected fudgy texture.
- Dry roasted peanuts or pecans – you can use any type of nut for this recipe. I prefer to add a mixture of peanuts and pecans. You can use lightly salted nuts or unsalted. Make sure the nuts you choose are cut into a peanut side and have been roasted.
- Miniature marshmallows – mini marshmallows are great for having little bits of marshmallow throughout the fudge. You can cut regular marshmallows to a smaller size for a similar effect.
Once you have assembled the ingredients use the following method:
Melt. Melt the chocolate chip, butter, and condensed milk in a pan on the stovetop. Remove from the heat and stir to combine.
Mix it up. Add the nuts and marshmallow to a large bowl, stir the chocolate mixture to coat the fillings.
Spread in pan and set. Line a 13 x 9 pan with wax paper and spread the mixture into the pan. Use a spatula to level it as much as you can. Allow it to chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours until it is firm.
Cut and serve. Cut the cooled fudge into squares and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to perfect Rocky Road Fudge
Check out these tips and tricks and frequently asked questions for amazing Rocky Road Fudge.
Fudge is a great gift. This fudge makes a great gift especially around the holidays. I love these festive cookie boxes for giving out fudge and other goodies.
Can I chill it in the freezer? If you chill it in the freezer that will cut down on your chilling time but be careful not to over freeze it since it will be hard to cut.
Fudge should be served at room temperature.
If you want to go light on the sweetness, you can use all semisweet chocolate chips or add some dark chocolate chips and add a dash of salt to the mix to counterbalance some of the condensed milk.
This fudge can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Yes! Because this fudge has condensed milk instead of regular liquid dairy it freezes very well. I recommend cutting before freezing and leaving some space between each piece, so it doesn’t come out a mess when you want some.
Try these other chocolate favorites next!
Rocky Road Fudge Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts or pecans
- 10 1/2 oz large bag miniature marshmallows
- Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with wax paper.
- In large heavy saucepan melt chocolate chips, margarine & condensed milk. Remove the sauce from the stove.
- In large bowl, mix together nuts & marshmallows, stir in chocolate mixture and spread in the baking pan.
- Allow to chill in the refrigerator 2-3 hours until firm.
- Remove from pan and paper, cut in squares, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Kraft Jet Puffed Mini Marshmallows, 10 oz (Pack of 3)
Bovado USA 2.5 Quart Glass Bowl for Storage, Mixing, Serving - Clear, Dishwasher, Freezer & Oven Safe Quality Glass, Easy-Clean, 2.5 QT
Reynolds Cut-rite Wax Paper, 60 Sq.ft. Total (60.5ft X 11.9in), Microwave Safe
USA Pan Bakeware Rectangular Cake Pan, 9 x 13 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Nutrition InformationYield 36 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 152Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 8mgSodium 29mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 14gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Sweet C’s Favorites
If you love this recipe, please check out some of our top posts!
These tried and true reader favorites are well loved for their family friendly flavor that everyone loves!