This recipe for Taco Stuffed Potatoes combines your favorite flavors from tacos and baked potatoes for a rich, hearty meal the whole family loves- with lots of hidden veggies!
While at the recent #breckblogretreat in Breckenridge Colorado, we got to eat a ton of delicious food. One night, my friends Katrina from In Katrina’s Kitchen and Erin from Dinners Dishes and Desserts treated us to a make your own stuffed potato night and displayed tons and tons of toppings for baked potatoes- giving me the idea to take it a step further and come up with a recipe for stuffed baked potatoes my family would love that were also loaded with tons of hidden veggies.
These potatoes are decadent and delicious- and so easy to make- and you’d never know there is a whole eggplant and a zucchini hidden inside the taco meat mixture! I love to “hide” veggies in my meals- it provides more nutrients for my kids (who are OK about trying new vegetables but aren’t lining up for broccoli or anything), and it helps stretch the filling for a huge batch.
At our retreat, Erin and Katrina set out the potato fixin’s as a make your own bar- but I’m making them ahead of time here to save time. I like my cheese to be bubbly and melted, so it works for me to have them assembled when serving- but you could serve them as a stuff your own potato bar, too.
These were a HUGE hit with my family- I know they will be for yours, too!
Delicious and easy taco stuffed potatoes are a filling, hearty meal with lots of hidden veggies!
- 6 washed potatoes, stabbed with a knife a few times to vent steam
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large eggplant, skinned and diced into small bits
- 1 large zucchini, diced finely
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato, diced, as garnish
- green onions, diced, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake potatoes 40 minutes, or until soft.
- While potatoes are baking, brown ground beef in a very large pan.
- Add in vegetables.
- Cook vegetables and meat until veggies are soft and browned.
- Add in spices- if there isn't enough liquid from cooking off the vegetables, add up to 3 tbsp of water to help spices mix with meat and veggies.
- When potatoes are soft, cut in half.
- Mash potato up a little bit with a fork- keeping potato skin intact (this makes a little room inside the potato so you can add filling.)
- Add taco meat and veggie filling.
- Top with cheese.
- Place back in oven to melt cheese, about 5 minutes.
- Top with green onions and tomatoes, and serve!
Amount Per ServingCalories 227 Saturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 33mg Sodium 97mg Carbohydrates 27g Fiber 5g Sugar 4g Protein 13g