The best homemade shrimp cocktail sauce ever - The Best Easy Shrimp Cocktail Recipe is delicious, easy, and transforms any dinner into a special event!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Easy Homemade Cocktail Sauce
The best homemade shrimp cocktail sauce ever - based off one of my favorite seafood cocktail sauces - this shrimp cocktail sauce and shrimp recipe is so easy, delicious, and one of the most delicious appetizers you can make for a fancy night at home!
If you always order shrimp cocktail when eating out, this recipe is going to become your new favorite.
Shrimp cocktail is the perfect appetizer for a party, its easy to whip up, and homemade shrimp cocktail sauce is so easy to make, and tastes about a million times better than the stuff from a jar!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do.
Tips For The Best Cocktail Sauce
I love a slightly chunky cocktail sauce - so I try to not overblend, so it's not too runny.
If you keep your cocktail sauce in a tight jar in a cool dry place (I keep mine in the fridge) it will keep for up to a month - but I like to make it fresh for the best flavors.
Use freshly grated horseradish: Freshly grated horseradish will give your cocktail sauce a more vibrant flavor compared to store-bought horseradish.
Use high-quality ketchup: The quality of your ketchup will impact the flavor of your cocktail sauce, so it's best to use a high-quality ketchup brand.
Use fresh lemon juice: Fresh lemon juice will give your cocktail sauce a tangy, bright flavor that complements the other ingredients.
Let it sit: Letting your cocktail sauce sit in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving will allow the flavors to meld together and intensify.
Adjust the seasonings to your taste: Everyone has their own preference when it comes to the level of spiciness and sweetness in their cocktail sauce. Experiment with different amounts of horseradish, hot sauce, and sugar to find the perfect balance for your taste buds.
Use the right dipping vessel: Cocktail sauce is typically served with shrimp or seafood, so it's important to choose a dipping vessel that is easy to use with your fingers and doesn't tip over easily. Cocktail glasses or small bowls with a wide base work well.
Shrimp cocktail sauce is a classic sauce served alongside boiled, poached, or grilled shrimp. It is typically a cold sauce made with a base of ketchup and horseradish, and often includes additional ingredients such as lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
To make shrimp cocktail sauce, combine ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt in a bowl and mix well. Adjust the seasoning to taste and chill until ready to serve.
Yes, shrimp cocktail sauce can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Shrimp cocktail sauce can last for up to a week when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Some variations of shrimp cocktail sauce include adding ingredients such as garlic, Dijon mustard, honey, or cilantro to give it a unique twist. Some people also like to use a combination of ketchup and cocktail sauce for added flavor.
Easy Seafood Dinner Recipe Ideas You'll Love:
If you love how easy and impressive this shrimp cocktail sauce recipe is, you'll love my other easy seafood dishes that are guaranteed to impress for date night!
Most of these recipes are one pot seafood dishes, and all are ready in under 30 minutes with minimal work and cleanup for a perfect seafood dinner.
- 10 Minute Perfect Broiled Lobster Tails Recipe
- 10 Minute Perfect Broiled Lobster Tails Recipe
- Tuscan Shrimp Linguine
- One Pot Creamy Shrimp Florentine Skillet
The Best Easy Shrimp Cocktail Sauce Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Tangy, spicy, delicious cocktail sauce that is easy to make and perfect for shrimp cocktail.
- 32 Shrimp, 21 to 25 count tiger shrimp
- For the brine:
- ¼ cup salt, kosher
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups ice
- For the cocktail sauce:
- 1 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup prepared chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Few grinds fresh black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, kosher
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Old Bay seasoning
- Rinse shrimp under cold water, and remove shells (keep the tail on) and clean out any vein if needed.
- Place cleaned shrimp into a bowl with brine and refrigerate mixture for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While shrimp are brining, place tomatoes, chili sauce, horseradish, sugar, pepper, and salt in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate cocktail sauce until ready to serve.
- Place a baking sheet or broiler pan under oven broiler and preheat for 5 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from brine and drain thoroughly.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water and dry on paper towels. In a large bowl, toss shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning, if desired.
- Place shrimp onto a sizzling sheet pan and return to broiler immediately.
- After 2 minutes, turn the shrimp with a pair of tongs.
- Return the shrimp to broiler for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a cold cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate immediately.
- Once shrimp have chilled, arrange with cocktail sauce in a martini glass or as desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 35Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 20mgSodium 1160mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 2g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.