One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet– this easy, delicious, veggie packed meal is quick and great for a budget- as well as a low carb diet!
Updated 1/29/2016- check out the easy to follow video and new photos from this reader favorite!
Nothing gets our family to gather around a table faster than two things- tacos and cheese.
Mention either one, and we’re ready for a feast!
For us, quick, hearty, and secretly-packed-with-veggies meals are our go to options- and this Cheesy Taco Skillet is one that doesn’t disappoint!
I first got the idea for taco skillets from Melissa at Number 2 Pencil- she is the queen of one pot meals! Her One Pan Chicken Burrito Bowls kind of spurred on this take- because how good do these look?
I mean, just check out this profile!!! Under 13 carbs and 350 calories per serving! Plus you’re getting tons of vegetables in each serving- perfect for a hearty, healthy dinner!
And thanks to a heaping dose of cheese, it doesn’t taste like diet food at all.
This recipe is incredibly low carb- but you can also reduce the calories by using ground chicken or turkey meat, and using a skim cheese like mozzarella (though I am a proponent of full fat, gooey cheese!).
I left the baby kale mix I used unchopped so you can see it in the photos- but if you have picky eater kids, be sure to chop it up. They will never knew what hit them! You could also swap it out for spinach, or just leave it out.
I also love to chop up zucchini and browning it with my beef- it browns really nicely and takes on the meaty flavor – without adding many calories!
I like to serve this meal over a bed of lettuce or greens- like a Chipotle Burrito Bowl- but you can also add it over rice or dump it in a taco or burrito, too!
And if you’re looking for an even easier and healthier version, check out this Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowl recipe!
I’m adding this new video that shows just how easy this delicious dish is! If you like this video, be sure to follow my youtube channel and give it a thumbs up!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1-2 large zucchinis, diced
- taco seasoning
- 3 cups baby kale/spinach mixture (this sounds like a lot- it cooks down to a small amount), optional
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar and jack cheese
- green onions, to garnish
- In a large pan, lightly brown ground beef and crumble well.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add onions and peppers, and cook until browned.
- Add canned tomatoes, taco seasoning, and any water needed for taco seasoning to evenly coat mixture (up to 1 tbsp- the liquid from the tomatoes will help)
- Add greens and let fully wilt.
- Mix well.
- Cover with shredded cheese and let cheese melt.
- When cheese is melted, serve over a bed of lettuce, rice, or in a taco or burrito!
And if you like this cheesy taco skillet, you’ll LOVE this Cheesy Chicken Green Chile Taco Skillet!
For other delicious, easy, and quick one pot dinner ideas, check out:
This amazingly creamy and delicious Sausage and Ravioli Skillet:
Quick and easy one pot risotto: