This Paleo Vegan “Meaty” Taco Skillet is a quick, easy, one-pot dinner your whole family will love! Perfect for #meatfreemonday!
Usually when I make vegan food, I get a lot of puzzled looks.
Look… I’m not someone who is known as a pinnacle of health.
Or a passionate animal lover.
Don’t get me wrong- it’s not like I don’t love animals (because… who doesn’t look at a cow and see an adorable face you just want to smush? Or a baby piggy and think… man… WHY do you have to be so tasty?? Chickens— not so much. I hate birds and am totally ok with eating them, but I digress) – I just won’t ever be someone who eats meat-free most of the time.
But I am trying to eat healthier and lighten things up – and often go vegan for my church’s fasting periods (I am Orthodox Christian- we fast from meat during Advent and Lent). When we are eating meat-free, I try to keep our meals focused on fresh, healthy, whole foods- and I try to skip soy, gluten, and unprocessed foods.
This can get a little tricky – since we still crave a meaty flavor, and still want all the protein packed from meat.
This taco skillet is a perfect middle ground! It is delicious and has a hearty beef-like taste – and is basically just vegetables (plus some nuts for an extra protein pack and a little bit more of a toothy bite.)
This is an easy, quick, one-pot meal that our family loves. You can eat it as-is, over a salad, in tacos, or in burritos!
It even looks meaty, doesn’t it?
Paleo Vegan Meaty Taco Skillet
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 eggplant, skin on, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- ½ cup walnuts, diced very fine
- 1 (8 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- ¼ cup water
- In a large pan, heat grapeseed oil until shimmery.
- Add bell pepper, and cook on medium high heat until slightly browned- about 4 minutes.
- Add eggplant and zucchini, cook until reduced by half- about 10 minutes.
- Add walnuts, diced tomatoes, stir well and stir in taco seasoning with water.
- Stir well to mix and be sure seasoning evenly coats mixture.
- Let water cook off - about 10 minutes.