Perfect crispy air fryer potato chips are the perfect healthier alternative to fried chips while satisfying your craving. These chips are so easy and delicious that you’ll use my method to make these hot and crispy potato chips at home all the time!
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Crispy Potato Chips From the Air Fryer
Making delicious crispy potato chips in an air fryer is easy if you follow my method. There’s nothing better than fresh and hot chips straight from the air fryer. That satistying crispy “snap” is so delicious.
It’s not hard, but it’s also not just as simple as slicing up a potato and putting it straight in the air fryer. I’ve tried all the different methods, and this is the best way to make mouthwatering crispy potato chips that will give you that satisfying crunch. When I got my air fyer I wanted to know how to make chips, but was intimidated by the process.
Using the air fryer as opposed to a deep fat fryer means you can get all that deliciousness with this healthier alternative.
How to Make Air Fryer Potato Chips
Gather the ingredients for Air Fryer Potato Chips –
Potatoes – Although you can use several type of potatoes for air fryer potato chips, the most common and classic by far is the Russet potato. Russet potatoes have low moisture content and the perfect starch for chips. I also have done this recipe with purple potatoes for something delicious and fancy!
Olive oil – Because this recipe air fries the chips at 350 degrees, either Extra Virgin Olive Oil (often shortened to EVOO) or Light Olive Oil will work for these. If you love the flavor of a stronger olive oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil will give it more flavor.
Sea salt – Sea salt (unlike table salt) is generally made by evaporating sea water and keeps that delicious salty flavor. Celtic sea salt plays particularly well with potatoes. I prefer to use a finer grain sea salt with these chips so they stick better and give a more uniform flavor across the chip.
Parsley – Although minced parsley is optional in this recipe, I urge you to try it with the parsley at least once. It’s such a great herb to offset the chips, it really pulls the whole thing together.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will follow this process:
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees. The crispiest chips come when you place them in when the basket is hot.
- Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut your potatoes into very thin slices. It’s up to you if you want to peel the potatoes or cut them skin-on, I sometimes enjoy the flavor and authenticity of a little bit of potato skin.
- Add the potato slices to a large bowl with ice water and soak for about 15 minutes. This will help to remove any excess starch.
- After draining the potato slices resoack in another bowl of ice water for another 15 minutes to remove any remaining starch.
- Drain for a second time, and lay them out on paper towels. Carefully pat them dry to remove any excess moisture. This will ensure that the olive oil can adhere to the chips.
- Using a basting brush, lightly brush each chip with olive oil.
- Working in small batches, place a single layer of chips in the air fyer basket – careful, the basket is very hot!
- Air fry the chips until they are golden brown, about 12 – 15 minutes. Flip and stir at least every 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the hot chips with finely minced parsley.
Tips and Tricks to Making Perfect Air Fryer Potato Chips
Make ahead of time. If you’re making these chips ahead of time, cook them just a teensy bit rare and give them a quick 2 – 3 minutes in the air fryer to crisp right before serving.
Use purple potatoes. Entertaining? Try this recipe using purple potatoes to make it look especially fancy and special.
Add seasonings. Try dusting these chips with other seasonings to mix it up! I love to do a sprinkling of Old Bay or even a Cajun herb mix to try something new.
Although many people prefer the distinctive taste of olive oil, if you’re allergic or it’s just not for you, you can use vegetable oil or even an avocado oil made for high heat.
These chips can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for five days, just pop them back in the air fryer for 2 – 3 minutes to reheat and crisp.
Are air fryer chips healthy?
These air fryer chips are a healthier alternative to deep fried chips. They have a lower fat content, and have all the vitamins and minerals of a baked potato but with the “good fat” of olive oil. They’re a great way to satisfy the chip craving in a healthier way.
What to Serve With Air Fryer Potato Chips
If you love these easy potato chips, try them with some of our easy dips and spreads!
For more great dip recipes, check out recent favorites:
Air Fryer Potato Chips Recipe
If you love this easy recipe, please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Crispy, crunchy, salty air fried russet potatoes with a fraction of the fat of deep fried chips!
- 2 large potatoes
- ¼ cup Olive oil or flavored olive oil
- 2 teaspoons celtic sea salt
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut potatoes into very thin slices.
- Add potatoes to a large bowl and cover with icy cold water. Soak for 15 minutes and then drain. Add new ice water to potatoes and soak another 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, then place on paper towels and carefully pat dry. Be sure to remove any water from the potatoes so olive oil can stick.
- Lightly brush potatoes with olive oil with a silicone brush (you can also use olive oil spray or cooking spray, but we liked the flavor from brushing olive oil best); and then generously sprinkle with salt.
- In batches, place potato slices in a single layer into preheated air-fryer basket - be careful as basket will be very hot!
- Cook chips until crisp and golden brown, about 12-15 minutes, stirring and turning every 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with minced parsley or Italian herbs if desired.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 289Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1073mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.