Rich, spicy, salty, and delicious – with a classic flavor that will make you feel just like you’re dining in Greece – this cheese dip is made from blended roasted red peppers, red pepper flakes, feta cheese, red wine vinegar, and olive oil!
Tirokafteri is a cheese-based Greek dish with lots of regional variations across Greece and is delicious as a dip, or a spread for sandwiches, flatbreads, and wraps. Tirokafteri usually combines feta or other soft white cheeses, olive oil, and some variation of red peppers, olives, lemon juice, garlic, yogurt, or oregano.
This recipe is based off a spicy version I ate on the Plaka in Athens.
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Spicy Greek Feta Cheese Dip
I love spicy feta – it’s long been one of my favorite appetizers at Greek restaurants, for the irresistible spicy, creamy flavor!
When visiting Athens for my first time, my husband, who lived in Greece for a while, took me straight to the Plaka for mezze – Greek appetizers, similar to tapas. I had to order my favorite spicy feta – and lapped up every bit with pita, spooned it onto souvlaki, and even dipped dolmades into it!
This cheese dip is amazing with slices of bread, pita, and vegetables – but it’s also delicious spooned over pasta or rice, tucked into a sandwich or wrap, or served over meats.
This dip takes only a few minutes to make, since you’re just blending to your liking – and can be made thick or a bit thin, according to your preference. You can add a bit of garlic or oregano, olives, make it more or less spicy, or change up the flavors however you like – this is totally customizable.
How to Make Tirokafteri
To make this creamy cheese dip, you need the following ingredients:
- Feta cheese – feta cheese is a salty Greek cheese with a briny flavor, and is usually a combination of sheep and goat’s milk. It is salty and tangy, with a bit of a lemony flavor.
- Roasted red peppers – Roasted red peppers are sweet and earthy, with a slightly smoky flavor that is lovely against the briny cheese flavor. You can use whole roasted peppers or strips.
- Red wine vinegar – red wine vinegar is tart, bright, and acidic to cut through the rich cheese.
- Olive oil – olive oil is briny, adds fat and structure to the dip, and a rich flavor that is addictive and delicious!
- Red pepper flakes – red pepper flakes are spicy, and added to increase a kick to tis dip with an earthy, vegetal flavor. You can add more or less, depending on your preference.
- Garlic – garlic is pungent and a bit hot, with an addictive vegetal flavor that is a staple in Mediterranean cuisine.
Once you’ve gathered the ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Add red peppers, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and red pepper flakes to food processor or blender and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add feta to blender or food processor. If you’d like a bit of lumpy feta texture to the dip, pulse dip until combined, so feta isn’t fully blended. If you want it to be smooth, blend for 1 minute on high until fully incorporated. (This is a personal preference, I like mine a bit thicker with little lumps, but love this dip any way it’s made!)
Tips to Perfect Whipped Feta & FAQs
Blend to your preference. If you want your dip perfectly smooth, blend longer. For some salty, rich chunks of feta, pulse while blending.
Make it as spicy as you like. Add more red pepper flakes as desired to make extra spicy – or reduce red pepper to make it less spicy.
Add more olive oil and vinegar to thin. If you’d like a bit of a runnier dip, add a drizzle more vinegar and olive oil. I love a dip that has more of a light, almost pub cheese style consistency – but it is delicious a bit thinner too.
Leftover spicy feta dip can be stored in an airtight container like a jar for up to four days in the refrigerator.
You can use crumbled or block style feta for this recipe, whichever you have on hand and love the flavor of.
You can use either – they have the same flavor, one has just been pre-chopped. Use what you have on hand.
What to Serve With Whipped Feta
Whipped feta is delicious with breads like pita, baguettes, and even chips – as well as celery, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli to dip in.
If you haven’t had your fill of feta, try our Baked Olives and Feta, too!
For more Greek food recipes, try our recent favorites here:
Spicy Whipped Feta Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Delicious Greek spicy feta cheese dip with roasted red peppers, garlic, red wine vinegar, and olive oil!
- 10 oz feta cheese
- 1 cup roasted red pepper strips, or 2 roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- In a blender or food processor, add garlic, red peppers, red pepper flakes, olive oil. Blend to smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add in feta and blend or pulse until mixed - some people prefer it to be very smooth, some prefer a bit chunky. Blend to your preference.
- Serve with olives, sliced bread, pita, carrots, celery, or spread on sandwiches, in wraps, or on grilled meats!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Terra Creta | Certified PDO Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3Ltr | Award Winning | Single Origin & Single Estate Kolymvari | 100% Pure Greek Olive Oil | Cold Extracted | Certified Kosher
Mirrogo Small Dipping Bowls, 3 Oz Soy Sauce Bowls, Small Bowls for Side Dishes, Porcelain Condiment Bowls for dessert,Sushi,Sauce,Appetizer,ketchup and Snack 6 Pack (Flower)
Mezzetta Sweet Pepper Roasted Deli Sliced 16.0 OZ(Pack of 2)
Gaea Olives - Green - Pitted - with Oregano and Lemon - Snack Pack - 2.3 oz - case of 8
Cuisinart DLC-2ABC Mini Prep Plus Food Processor Brushed Chrome and Nickel
Vitamix A3500 Ascent Series Smart Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Low-Profile Container Bundle with The Vitamix Cookbook - 250 Delicious Whole Food Recipes (Brushed Stainless)
Magic Bullet Blender, Small, Silver, 11 Piece Set
Serving Sizeabout 1 cup + 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving Calories 241Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 63mgSodium 651mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 11g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.