Bacon Balsamic Glazed Chicken Thighs
Apr 17, 2017, Updated Nov 08, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Bacon Balsamic Glazed Chicken thighs are an easy, delicious meal that is packed with smoky, sweet flavor!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Delicious Easy Bacon Balsamic Glazed Chicken Thighs
My husband and I are always trying out new diets and ways to eat better. We’ve done paleo, weight watchers, and loads of other diets and had a lot of mixed success. It’s never easy for us to lose weight, wine, booze, carbs, and cheese are faaar too important in our lives.
When you are on a diet delicious meals are a bit of a challenge if you want variety in your diet. Luckily, the other day while in a bit of a rut I discovered balsamic is okay – and decided to make some smoky, and slightly sweet chicken thighs to celebrate!
It’s much easier to stick to an eating plan if it feels indulgent – and you can’t get more indulgent than these delicious chicken thighs! Let’s face it – anything wrapped with bacon just doesn’t taste like diet food.
How to make Bacon Balsamic Glazed Chicken Thighs
First you will want to assemble the following ingredients:
- Garlic powder – garlic powder is a great way to get a hit of garlic. You can also use fresh pressed garlic.
- Italian seasoning – Italian seasoning if a mix of classic Italian seasonings, see tips and tricks section for a tip on how to make your own.
- Paprika – you can use smoked or Spanish paprika.
- Sea salt – sea salt will season the chicken, you can add more when you serve if you want.
- Chicken thighs – you want to use skinless boneless chicken thighs, they are very forgiving and don’t go dry easily.
- Bacon – bacon is rich and delicious and as its fat is rendering it adds flavor to the chicken. See tips and tricks section for other options.
- Balsamic vinegar – unlike other vinegars, balsamic has a sweet fruity flavor. Use high quality whenever possible.
- Sliced green onions – these are a great fresh garnish and are optional.
Once you have assembled the ingredients use the following method
Season Chicken. Mix the spices in a bowl and season the chicken generously with them. Wrap the seasoned chicken in bacon, fasten with a toothpick if necessary.
Sear. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat, add the bacon wrapped chicken and sear on 5 minutes on each side or until bacon is browned. Remove from the pan and place on a baking sheet, ideally on a wire rack.
Bake. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until chicken is at 165 degrees. While the chicken is cooking reduce the balsamic vinegar in a pan by half, about 5 minutes.
Finish. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, while its resting glaze it with the balsamic reduction and top with green onions. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Bacon Balsamic Glazed Chicken Thighs
You can use bone-in. While I’m using boneless, skinless thighs in this recipe, you could use bone-in thighs (simply cut out the bone or eat around it) since they are quite a bit less expensive. I do recommend removing the skin, since it would get flabby and soft under the bacon.
Make your own Italian Seasoning. To make your own mix 3 tbsp dried basil, oregano, and parsley with 1 tbsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp dry thyme. Store any extra in a jar for 3-6 months.
Mix up with BBQ. If you don’t want to use balsamic you can glaze the chicken with BBQ sauce, no need to reduce it.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Yes, you will want to cut the breasts in half so you can wrap them all the way in bacon. You will need to cut the cooking time down and be careful that they don’t overcook. Chicken thighs are much more forgiving.
Yes, but you won’t need to brown it as much as you would traditional bacon.
What to serve with Bacon Balsamic Glazed Chicken Thighs
You can enjoy this bacon balsamic glazed chicken with any of our favorites BBQ sides below:
Bacon Balsamic Glazed Chicken Thigh Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken thighs, skinless, boneless
- 1/2 lbs Bacon
- 1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
- Sliced green onions, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic powder, italian seasoning, paprika, and sea salt.
- Lay chicken thighs on a cutting board and season liberally with herb mixture.
- Wrap each piece of chicken tightly with bacon, fasten with a toothpick if necessary.
- Heat a cast iron pan (or other heavy skillet) on high until hot.
- Add chicken thighs to pan, making sure not to overcrowd.
- Sear on each side about 5 minutes so bacon is browned.
- Remove from pan and add to baking sheet (cooking on a wire rack above the baking sheet is ideal but not essential.)
- Bake until chicken reaches internal temp of 165 degrees, about 15 minutes.
- When chicken is cooked, remove and let rest at least 5 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, add balsamic to a small pan and heat on medium until reduced by more than half, and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over chicken, top with green onions if desired!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo Ambidextrous Backlit Professional Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Kitchen, Food Cooking, Grill, BBQ, Smoker, Candy, Home Brewing, Coffee, and Oil Deep Frying
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Small
Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with 2 Loop Handles - 17 Inch Ergonomic Frying Pan
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Baking Pan and Bakeable Nonstick and Cooling Rack Set, Metal
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 392Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 176mgSodium 1232mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 41g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.