The Best Mac and Cheese Ever – this is the most delicious, creamy and luxurious mac and cheese recipe ever – without any mustard seed in the sauce!
If I had to pick one food as my all-time comfort food, it would easily be mac and cheese.
Mac and cheese, when made right, is so luxurious, creamy, rich and full of cheesy flavor- and is one of the easiest, most simple recipes to make from scratch at home.
My only problem with a lot of mac and cheese recipes is that they rely on mustard seed to give a bit of a zip and tanginess in the sauce and color the dish – but I am allergic to mustard!
I had to come up with a good recipe that has a bit of variation in the cheese so I could skip the mustard, and I think this recipe is my all-time favorite. It is delicious, luxuriously creamy and thick, and so easy to make.
This is going to be your all-time favorite mac and cheese recipe ever – I hope you and your family love it as much as mine does! It is our go-to for deliciously easy dinners!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or cavatappi
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups table cream
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated (4 cups)
- 4 ounces Gruyere, grated (1 cup)
- 4 oz swiss cheese, grated (1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Boil macaroni in a large pot with well salted water.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cream, milk, and butter over low heat until butter is melted.
- Stir in flour and whisk until creamy smooth.
- Slowly stir in cheese, letting it melt in small batches as you add to mixture.
- When macaroni is al dente, drain water well and add to cheese sauce.
- Stir to evenly coat.
- Top with fresh grated pepper and parmesan cheese.