Blackberry Cobbler is the perfect treat for a hot summer’s day. It’s perfectly sweet and tart with a crisp golden cobblestone topping. Top it off with a scoop of ice cream and the whole family will be in heaven.
Easy Blackberry Cobbler
When fruit is in season, you may have more than what you know what to do with, and blackberries are among the best to whip into a delicious dessert. Plump and juicy with the perfect mixture of sweet and tart, blackberries are amazing on their own, but are truly their best when baked into this easy blackberry cobbler.
Traditionally speaking, this cobbler is a baked fruit dish that is topped with a biscuit-like topping. When it’s baked, it has a perfectly crisp cobbled look similar to a cobblestone street. Topped with some ice cream, it becomes the ultimate summertime dessert.
How To Make Blackberry Cobbler
Made with simple ingredients, you may not even have to write a shopping list for this easy blackberry cobbler. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Blackberries- You’ll want to use fresh blackberries for the perfect flavor and texture.
- Sugar- Use your measuring cup to scoop and back the sugar. Level it off with a butter knife to ensure you get just the right amount of sweetness.
- Lemon juice- You can use a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice or simply use lemon juice from concentrate.
- Cinnamon- Cinnamon and sugar add the perfect touch to this recipe.
- Flour- When measuring flour, use a spoon to scoop it into the measuring cup, and then level it off with a butter knife. You don’t want to pack the flour.
- Baking powder- Baking powder helps the topping to rise giving it that classic cobbled look.
- Butter- Leave the butter in the fridge until you are ready to use it. You want to have cold butter cut into chunks for this recipe to work.
- Milk- I use whole milk, but if you have to, you could use 2% as well.
- Egg- Make sure your eggs are still good by placing them in a bowl of water. If they float, throw them out.
- Salt- You’ll also need a bit of salt to complement the rest of the flavors.
Get on your baker’s hat and follow the steps below.
- First, preheat your oven to 350?. Then, lightly grease an 8x8 pan.
- Rinse your blackberries and place them in the 8x8 pan. Add ½ cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and mix well. Set to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ¼ cup of sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cold butter chunks to the flour mixture and mix well with a fork or by hand.
- Pour the milk and the egg into the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Place scoops of the dough mixture on top of the blackberries.
- Bake at 350? for 45-minutes.
- Allow the cobbler to cool for 15-minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Blackberry Cobbler and FAQs:
- The dough doesn’t not have to cover the blackberries completely. Nor does it need to be perfectly even. This is what gives your cobbler that cobblestone appearance.
- Do not use canned fruit or canned pie filling. This will result in a sickly sweet cobbler with a gummy filling.
- Add one to two tablespoons of cornstarch to the fruit to thicken it up if you choose.
You won’t have to cook anything in this cobbler until you are ready to bake it. Cobblers should be baked at 350? so that the topping cooks completely and becomes a crisp topping.
It will only take you 10-minutes to prepare this recipe, but you will need to bake it for 45-minutes. So the blackberry cobbler should be ready to devour in about 55-minutes.
No! In fact, you can substitute the berries for any berries of your choice. Raspberries or blueberries would be just as delicious. Peaches are great for a delicious peach cobbler.
Cobbler is delicious both warm or room temperature. You could even eat it cold from the refrigerator. I prefer to eat it warm, topped with ice cream.
You can store any leftovers in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in your refrigerator. Cobbler is good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. I would not recommend freezing your cobbler as the topping will become soggy and change the overall texture of the dessert.
Other Cobblers To Try
I love a good cobbler and it’s a great way to use up your fresh fruit before it goes bad. Topped with ice cream or whipped cream, cobblers make the perfect summertime treat. If you love cobblers as much as I do, you’ll want to try my Easy Blueberry Peach Cobbler or my deliciously Easy Peach Cobbler.
Easy Blackberry Cobbler Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
A versatile sweet and warm summer pie alternative for berry lovers! Can be enjoyed in the morning with tea and coffee or served after dinner as dessert.
- 4 cups of blackberries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and chunked
- ⅓ cup of whole milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Rinse blackberries and put them in an 8x8 pan with ½ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, ¼ cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Either by hand or with two forks, add the cold butter chunks and mix well.
- Pour in the milk and egg and mix just until combined.
- Place the in flat cobblestones on top of the blackberries. It does not need to cover them completely. dough in pan and flatten, it does not have to be perfectly even.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
- Allow cobbler to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with ice cream, or on its own!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Amount Per Serving Calories 183Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 43mgSodium 178mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 4gSugar 23gProtein 2g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.