Cheesy baked squash casserole with Cheez-It crackers is a delicious and unique twist on a classic casserole!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Baked Squash Casserole With Cheez Its
The recipe involves a mixture of yellow squash, onions, and cheese, baked into a pie with a Cheez-It cracker crust. The Cheez-It crackers add a crunchy and flavorful texture to the dish, while the combination of squash, onions, and cheese creates a rich and savory flavor profile. This hearty and comforting dish is perfect for a cozy dinner or a holiday gathering.
How to Bake Cheesy Squash Pie
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Yellow Squash: The yellow squash provides a slightly sweet and nutty flavor that is perfect for this casserole. It also adds a tender texture to the dish.
- Onion: The onion adds a slightly pungent and savory flavor to the casserole. It also helps to balance out the sweetness of the squash.
- Cheddar Cheese: The cheddar cheese provides a rich and savory flavor to the casserole. It also adds a creamy texture and helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Parmesan Cheese: The parmesan cheese adds a nutty and salty flavor to the casserole. It also helps to enhance the overall cheesiness of the dish.
- Sour Cream: The sour cream adds a tangy and slightly acidic flavor to the casserole. It also adds a creamy texture to the dish.
- Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise provides a rich and creamy flavor to the casserole. It also helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Garlic Powder: The garlic powder adds a savory and slightly pungent flavor to the casserole. It also helps to enhance the other flavors in the dish.
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper are essential for seasoning the casserole and bringing out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Cheez-It Crackers: The Cheez-It crackers provide a crunchy and salty flavor to the casserole. They also add a unique and interesting texture to the dish.
- Unsalted Butter: The melted butter is used to help bind the crushed Cheez-It crackers together and create a crispy crust on top of the casserole. It also adds a rich and buttery flavor to the dish.
Once you've gathered your ingredients, you will use the following process:
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place grated squash in cheesecloth, and wring out any excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine the sliced squash and onion with the cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a separate bowl, mix together the crushed Cheez-It crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the squash mixture.
- Bake. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the squash is tender.
- Cool. Let the casserole cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Tips and Tricks to a Perfect Squash Pie & FAQs
Grate squash: To ensure that the squash cooks evenly, slice it as thinly as possible - we find using a cheese grater produces the best results. You can also use a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife to achieve thin slices.
Use a mixture of cheeses: A combination of cheddar and parmesan cheese creates a nice balance of flavors in this casserole. You can also experiment with other types of cheese, like mozzarella or goat cheese, to add different flavors.
Use fresh squash: Use fresh, firm yellow squash that is free of bruises or soft spots. Overripe or soft squash can make the casserole watery and affect the texture.
Pre-bake the crust: Pre-baking the Cheez-It cracker crust for a few minutes before adding the filling will help it hold its shape and prevent it from getting too soggy.
Season the squash mixture well: Be sure to season the squash mixture with enough salt, pepper, and garlic powder to enhance the flavor of the dish.
Don't overcook the casserole: Cook the casserole until the squash is tender and the top is golden brown. Overcooking the casserole can cause the squash to become mushy and the cheese to become overly melted.
Let the casserole cool before serving: Letting the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving will help it to set and make it easier to slice.
Squeeze out liquid: for best results, add squash to cheesecloth and squeeze well to remove extra water so your casserole isn't runny and wet.
Yes, you can use other types of squash, like zucchini or pattypan squash, in this recipe.
Yes, you can make the casserole ahead of time and bake it later. Cover the dish with foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before baking.
Yes, you can use different types of cheese to suit your tastes. Consider using a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack, or adding some crumbled feta cheese for extra flavor.
Yes, you can omit the Cheez-It crackers or use a different type of cracker or bread crumbs for the topping.
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Yes, you can freeze this casserole for up to 2-3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it in the oven.
What to Serve With Cheesy Squash Pie
Grilled Meats: Grilled chicken or steak would provide a hearty and flavorful main course to balance out the richness of the casserole.
Salad: A fresh and crisp salad with a simple vinaigrette would provide a refreshing contrast to the creamy and cheesy casserole.
Garlic Bread: Garlic bread would provide a savory and crunchy contrast to the creamy and cheesy casserole.
Rice or Quinoa: A fragrant rice or quinoa dish would provide a hearty and filling complement to the casserole.
Green Beans: Steamed or roasted green beans would provide a fresh and nutritious side dish to balance out the richness of the casserole.
Cheesy Baked Squash Pie Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Click here to view the web story for this recipe!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Cheesy Squash Casserole
Cheesy baked casserole with summer squash topped with crunchy cheese crackers.
- 3 medium yellow squash, grated
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups crushed Cheez-It crackers
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place grated squash in cheesecloth, and wring out any excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced squash and onion with the cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the crushed Cheez-It crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the squash mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the squash is tender.
- Let the casserole cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Baker's Joy Cooking Spray 4oz Can (Pack of 3) (Non Stick Baking Spray with Flour)
DOWAN Baking Dish, Casserole Dishes for Oven, Lasagna Pan Deep,135 oz Large Ceramic Baking Pan with Handles, 9x13 Baking Dish for Cooking, White
Organic Unbleached Cotton Cheesecloth for Straining, GOTS Certified, Fine Reusable Strainer – Large 18 Sq.ft.
Amount Per Serving Calories 403Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 39mgSodium 525mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 9g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
We eat yellow squash all the time. So happy to find a new way to cook it. Can’t wait. Looks delish