Cheesy BBQ Beef & Biscuit Casserole
Jun 21, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy BBQ Beef and Biscuit Casserole with Grands biscuits is a hearty quick bar-be-que casserole classic the whole family will love! Great bbq casserole to bring to potlucks and parties!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
BBQ Beef & Biscuit Bake
While my parents were out recently, I made my dad one of the first meals I ever learned to make- and one of his favorites- our Cheesy BBQ Beef & Biscuit Casserole. Besides being incredibly delicious, it is SO easy to make- less than 30 minutes total and only 5 ingredients! Also be sure to check out this delicious Cheesy Little Smokies BBQ Biscuit Bake – a tasty, quick spinoff from this delicious recipe that your family is going to love!!!
My mom has been making a version of this for a long time, and I never really wrote down the recipe- it’s something we just kind of simplified and adjusted on the fly over time. I really, really like this mix though now that I have taken the time to write it all down. You can add your own twist on it, but this super simple recipe is our tried and true hit. This is an awesome recipe for a Superbowl Party- except you’ll need to make double because trust me – it will go FAST!
No worries though, it is so easy and quick to make you’ll have no problem making more. One note- I am suggesting KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce or something similar. This is fairly important because you want a sweet and thick sauce- so if you use another similar brand that is fine- but if you use something a little more vinegar-y or mustard-y you may want to add a tablespoon of brown sugar at a time until it tastes right.
How to Make Cheesy BBQ Beef Bake
To make this recipe, we will use the following ingredients:
- Flaky Biscuits: These serve as the base of the dish, providing a fluffy, slightly sweet and buttery contrast to the savory components. They soak up the BBQ sauce and take on some of its flavors.
- Ground Beef: This is the main protein of the dish, contributing a hearty, savory, and robust flavor. It absorbs the BBQ sauce and spices, which enhance its taste.
- KC Masterpiece or other sweet BBQ Sauce: BBQ sauce adds a tangy, sweet, and smoky flavor to the dish. It coats the ground beef and gives the dish its distinctive BBQ taste.
- Yellow Mustard: Mustard contributes a tangy and slightly spicy kick, which complements the sweetness of the BBQ sauce.
- Garlic Salt: This ingredient enhances the overall flavor of the dish with its savory, slightly spicy, and aromatic qualities.
- Cumin: Cumin adds a warm, earthy flavor and aroma. It pairs well with the flavors of the beef and BBQ sauce.
- Chili Powder: This gives the dish a hint of heat and complexity, elevating the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Cheese adds a rich, creamy, and slightly tangy flavor. As it melts, it helps bind the ingredients together and contributes a pleasingly gooey texture.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use this process:
- Brown beef and par-bake biscuits. In a very well greased casserole dish, lay out biscuits. In a large pan, brown ground beef. While beef cooks, smoosh biscuits to make a layer across the bottom of the pan. Bake until very slightly browned, about 5 minutes, and set aside until beef is ready.
- Mix BBQ beef mix. When ground beef is cooked, drain fat well. Add BBQ sauce and mustard, stir well and taste- add more of either to taste. Pour beef mixture into biscuit base. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Bake. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve. Let cool, slice, and enjoy !
Tips to a Perfect Cheesy BBQ Beef and Biscuit Casserole:
Drain the fat: I don’t always drain the fat off ground beef (lazy, I know)- but you HAVE to in this recipe or it will get soggy and look like an oil slick!
Pre bake: Give the biscuit layer a little pre-bake time for the best results. I pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes before adding the meat and cheese- this prevents your biscuit base from being gooey.
Make in a slow cooker: You can also cook the beef and bbq sauce in a slow cooker for about 2 hours and then spoon into a partially pre-baked biscuit base to save space, or make this a one pot dinner by topping the meat with grands in the slow cooker.
Make it upside down: Reduce pans and mess- add the biscuits on top and pop in the oven for an upside-down one pot recipe!
This depends on your personal preference. A sweet BBQ sauce is typically used to balance out the savory flavors in the dish, but you can choose a spicy, smoky, or tangy one based on your liking.
Yes, you can substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef. These will give a lighter flavor to the dish, which some people may prefer.
If canned biscuits are not available, you can make your own biscuit dough or use a mix. Another alternative would be to use crescent roll dough.
Yes, adding vegetables such as bell peppers, onions, or zucchini can increase the nutritional value and add more flavor and texture.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, use a conventional oven or toaster oven to help keep the biscuits crispy.
Yes, you can prepare the ground beef mixture in advance and refrigerate it. When you’re ready to bake, you can add the biscuit dough and cheese and bake as directed.
It’s better to freeze the ground beef mixture separately and add fresh biscuits and cheese when you’re ready to bake. The biscuits might not retain a good texture when frozen and reheated.
Yes, while sharp cheddar is recommended for its flavor, you can substitute it with any cheese that melts well like mozzarella, monterey jack, or Colby.
What to Serve With BBQ Beef and Biscuit Bake
Coleslaw: The crispness of the cabbage and carrots, coupled with the tangy dressing, can provide a refreshing contrast to the hearty beef bake.
Green Salad: A simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing can cut through the richness of the dish and provide a fresh counterpoint.
Corn on the Cob: This classic BBQ side dish would complement the flavors in the BBQ Beef Bake quite nicely.
Steamed Green Beans: A side of lightly seasoned green beans can provide a light, healthy contrast to the richness of the cheesy BBQ beef.
Grilled Vegetables: Grilled veggies like zucchini, bell peppers, or asparagus can add a smoky flavor that pairs well with the BBQ theme.
Pickles: Pickled cucumbers, jalapenos, or other veggies can add a tart and crunchy contrast that can balance out the sweet and rich flavors of the beef bake.
Fruit Salad: A fresh fruit salad can offer a sweet and tangy counterbalance to the rich, savory flavors of the bake.
To see more of our favorite BBQ and cookout sides, check our recent favorites:
Cheesy BBQ Beef and Biscuit Casserole Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 can flaky biscuits, 8 per pack
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup kc masterpiece, or other sweet BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a very well greased casserole dish, lay out biscuits.
- In a large pan, brown ground beef.
- While beef cooks, smoosh biscuits to make a layer across the bottom of the pan.
- Bake until very slightly browned, about 5 minutes, and set aside until beef is ready.
- When ground beef is cooked, drain fat well.
- Add BBQ sauce and mustard, stir well and taste- add more of either to taste.
- Pour beef mixture into biscuit base.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Enjoy !
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 668Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 157mgSodium 1403mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 46g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.