This creamy, rich, hearty stroganoff will ensure that you clean you bowl. This recipe is one of my favorites for a hearty family meal.
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
One Pot Creamy Stroganoff Fettuccini
While stroganoff is a dish many of us in the United States are familiar with it actually originated in Russia and is a dish that typically features sauteed pieces of beef with a mustard and sour cream sauce.
My one pot creamy stroganoff fettuccini is true to the classic with a few twists.
How to Make Creamy Beef Stroganoff Fettuccini
To make this recipe, you'll need:
- Ground Beef - I prefer to use 80/20 ground beef. It's important to have some fat in your beef so you get that rich taste. Traditionally you would use thinly sliced beef, but I find that ground beef spreads out more evenly throughout the dish and costs a lot less when you are feeding a family.
- Onion - although this ingredient is optional in the recipe, I highly recommend using it since onions have lots of natural sugars that come out when they are cooked, and it adds a nice complexity to the stroganoff sauce.
- Cremini mushrooms - cremini are actually the same type of mushroom as white mushrooms and portobello but are at a different stage of maturity. Creminis have a mild, earthy flavor and add a meaty texture to this dish.
- Cream cheese - this adds the creamy richness that you expect from a stroganoff sauce.
- Water - I use water to thin the cream cheese. You can swap the cream cheese and water for an equal amount of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt if you prefer.
- Whole milk / Heavy cream - Milk or cream are important for adding richness to the stroganoff. I usually use half heavy cream and half whole milk but you can choose which you want to use based on the consistency you like for your sauce.
- Salt - salt is essential in every recipe since it makes all of the ingredients come out of their shells and play together to make a cohesive dish.
- Pepper - pepper is salt’s hero sidekick. It also adds a nice little heat to this dish. You can add additional pepper if you want it to be spicy.
- Fettuccine - this is a thin flat pasta that I like to use because it coats well in the sauce and the ground beef and mushrooms are able to stick to it better than other thinner pastas. When cooking fettuccine make sure you salt your water (about ½ teaspoon per 8 quarts of water)
- Green onions / Cilantro - whatever herbs you choose to garnish with make sure they are fresh. I recommend you use green onions especially if you don't use an onion in the recipe.
- Parmesan - parmesan cheese has a nice salty tangy sharp bite and adds that to this recipe, plus it looks pretty on the top.
Once you've gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Step 1 - Brown the meat and veg. Brown the ground beef, drain the fat and then add the mushrooms and onion to the pan and let them cook until the mushrooms are starting to brown. Mushrooms will release a lot of moisture before they brown so make sure you let all that moisture cook off.
- Step 2 - Create sauce. Add the cream cheese, milk/cream, and water and let it reduce stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom. Season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 3 - Add pasta. Combine the sauce and pre-cooked fettuccine. Garnish with fresh grated parmesan and fresh herbs.
- Step 4 - Enjoy.
Tips and Tricks:
Tip 1 - Cut mushrooms small. I have kids and a husband who isn't so hot on mushrooms. If that is the case for you try dicing the mushrooms so that they can't pick them out. My husband and kids love this recipe and don't know it has mushrooms in it.
Tip 2 - Deglaze the pan with wine. One of my favorite ways to elevate a dish is to splash a few tablespoons of wine into the pan right after the mushrooms and onions are browned before I add any moisture. Always use a dry wine that you would drink. I deglaze the pan with white wine for dishes with chicken or fish and red wine for dishes with beef or pork.
Yes, this recipe can be made with ground turkey, I would recommend you add some additional fat though since turkey is so lean. You could add some bacon fat, butter, or more oil. Just remember the flavor won't be as rich since turkey is so lean.
Yes, you can substitute an equal amount of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to offset the cream cheese and water. The taste and consistency will vary slightly based on what dairy you use.
Side to Eat with your Stroganoff
Try these favorite salads:
Creamy Beef Stroganoff Fettuccine Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Delicious creamy stroganoff made with fettucine noodles and packed with beef and mushrooms.
- 1 lb beef, ground
- 1 onion, optional
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, diced
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup whole milk, or heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste if preferred
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4 cups fettuccine, cooked al dente
- fresh green onions or cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- grated parmesan, grated, to garnish
- In a large pan, brown ground beef on medium high.
- When mostly browned, drain fat.
- Add mushrooms and let cook down and release liquid, keep stirring so mushrooms don't burn and stick.
- Add milk/ heavy cream, cream cheese, and water and let cook until reduced, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When liquid has cooked down to a creamy sauce, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour over fettuccine, mix well.
- Garnish with green onions or cilantro and fresh grated parmesan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Extra Large Cutting Board, 17.6" Bamboo Cutting Boards for Kitchen with Juice Groove and Handles Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat Cheese board Heavy Duty Serving Tray, XL, Empune
WÜSTHOF Classic 7" Santoku Knife
Utopia Kitchen 12 Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet - Frying Pan - Safe Grill Cookware for indoor & Outdoor Use - Cast Iron Pan (Black)
P&P CHEF 4 Quart Stockpot with Lid, Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Cooking Soup Pasta Stock Pot for Gas/Induction/Electric Stoves, With Glass Cover & Two Handles, Heavy Duty & Dishwasher Safe
Amount Per Serving Calories 529Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 114mgSodium 997mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 30g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.