Our French Fry Sauce recipe is a creamy, tangy, and slightly spicy concoction that will take your fry-feasting to new heights! This easy-to-make, versatile sauce combines a blend of mayonnaise, ketchup, and a few secret ingredients that will make your fries utterly irresistible.
Whether you’re hosting a party, enjoying a family dinner, or simply treating yourself to a late-night snack, this French Fry Sauce is sure to leave you reaching for just one more fry. Let’s dive into the recipe and add a flavorful twist to your fry experience!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Fry sauce, a condiment that’s often whipped up to accompany French fries, takes the fried potato experience to another level. This particular version, featuring ketchup, relish, BBQ sauce, and mayonnaise, results in a delightfully tangy, smoky, and creamy dip that’s simply irresistible.
Not only does it elevate your fries, but it also works as a delicious accompaniment to burgers, sandwiches, and a variety of fried foods!
How To Make French Fry Sauce
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup mayonnaise: Mayo is the base of the sauce, providing a creamy and smooth texture. It contributes a rich, slightly tangy flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients.
- 1/4 cup ketchup: Ketchup adds sweetness, a bit of tang, and a mild tomato flavor to the sauce. It also gives the sauce its characteristic pink or light red color.
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish (sweet or dill, depending on your preference): Pickle relish brings a punch of flavor, contributing sweetness or tanginess (depending on whether you use sweet or dill relish) and a bit of texture. It also adds an interesting complexity to the overall flavor profile of the sauce.
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder: Onion powder adds a savory depth of flavor that complements the other ingredients.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder: Garlic powder also adds a savory note to the sauce. It complements the onion powder and adds to the overall complexity of flavors.
- Salt and pepper to taste: Salt enhances the flavors of the other ingredients, while pepper adds a mild heat. Adjust these to your preference.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Prep. Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, onion powder, and garlic powder in a bowl. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Season. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Chill. For the best flavor, cover the bowl and refrigerate the sauce for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to blend together.
- Enjoy! Serve the sauce with French fries or any other dish that could use a tangy, creamy condiment.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Fry Sauce
Adjust to Taste: The best thing about homemade fry sauce is the ability to adjust it according to your preference. Start with the basic proportions, then taste and adjust. More mayo for creaminess, ketchup for sweetness and tang, BBQ sauce for smokiness, or relish for a bit of tart crunch.
Use High-Quality Ingredients: Since this sauce only contains a few ingredients, their quality will greatly affect the final result. Use good quality mayo, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and relish for the best flavor.
Rest Time: Allow the sauce to rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together for a more harmonious taste.
Experiment with Flavors: Feel free to add other ingredients to customize the sauce to your liking. Hot sauce can add some heat, garlic or onion powder can add depth, and a splash of vinegar can add acidity.
Consistency: The sauce should be creamy but not too thick, so it easily clings to your fries. If it’s too thick, thin it out with a little bit of water or more ketchup.
Fresh is Best: While it keeps well for several days in the fridge, fry sauce is best when fresh. The flavor and texture are at their peak right after it’s made and has rested a bit.
Serving: Serve the sauce at room temperature. If it’s too cold straight from the fridge, it might be too thick and not spread as well.
Double Dipping: If you’re serving a crowd and anticipate needing more sauce, it’s better to make more from the start rather than adding to a half-used bowl. This way, all your guests can dip freely without worrying about double-dipping etiquette.
French fry sauce is a popular condiment often used for dipping fries. While recipes can vary, a basic version is often a mix of mayonnaise and ketchup, with additional flavorings like vinegar, pickle juice, or spices.
The exact origin is somewhat disputed, but it’s popular in several regions. In the United States, it’s often associated with Utah, where a similar sauce is served at a popular local burger chain. However, variations of the sauce are also common in Europe. For example, Belgians and Dutch often enjoy their fries with a combination of mayo and ketchup.
Yes, French fry sauce can also be used as a condiment for other dishes like burgers, hot dogs, or even as a salad dressing. It can also be a great dipping sauce for other fried foods like chicken nuggets or onion rings.
Homemade French fry sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Always check it before using to make sure it hasn’t spoiled, especially if you added fresh ingredients like onions or pickles.
Traditional French fry sauce made with mayonnaise is not vegan, as mayo is made with eggs. However, you can make a vegan version by using vegan mayo.
Certainly! To make a spicy French fry sauce, you can add a dash of hot sauce or some finely chopped jalapeños.
Absolutely! While mayonnaise is a traditional component, you could also try making a version with a base of sour cream, yogurt, or a vegan mayo substitute.
What to Serve With Fry Sauce
Hot Dogs: Give your hot dogs a twist by spreading some French fry sauce on the bun.
Fried Foods: This sauce makes a great dip for other fried foods like chicken nuggets, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, or fried zucchini.
Grilled Foods: Grilled chicken, fish, or vegetables can also be served with French fry sauce on the side.
Roasted Vegetables: Roasted potatoes, carrots, or Brussels sprouts can be elevated with a side of this sauce.
Sandwiches and Wraps: It can be used as a spread to add more flavor to your sandwiches or wraps.
Fish and Chips: Traditional British fish and chips can be served with French fry sauce as a tangy alternative to tartare sauce.
Tacos and Quesadillas: A drizzle of French fry sauce can add a creamy and tangy element to these dishes.
Potato Wedges or Tater Tots: These are just other forms of potato that would pair well with the sauce.
French Fry Sauce Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
French fry sauce: a versatile, tangy condiment perfect for dipping fries, enhancing burgers, or jazzing up sandwiches. Homemade and delicious!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish (sweet or dill, depending on your preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, onion powder, and garlic powder in a bowl. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed.
- For the best flavor, cover the bowl and refrigerate the sauce for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to blend together.
- Serve the sauce with French fries or any other dish that could use a tangy, creamy condiment. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Amount Per Serving Calories 241Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 14mgSodium 328mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 0g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.