Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken and Potatoes
Feb 21, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chicken and potatoes loaded with fresh lemon, garlic, thyme, oregano, and olive oil, this Lemon and Garlic Baked Chicken and Potatoes dinner is tender and distinctively delicious.
Made in one pot, it’s a quick and easy weeknight dinner solution!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
One Pot Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
This lemon chicken and potatoes recipe is an all in one, no fuss recipe. You toss the potatoes with half of the dressing, then toss the chicken with the rest, and spread everything on a baking sheet.
Not only is this a one pan recipe undeniably easy, but it’s also brimming with rich, savory flavors.
How To Make Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken and Potatoes
Making a one pot dinner is so easy with the right recipe. For this baked chicken and potatoes recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chicken– I use boneless skinless chicken breasts. Cut your chicken into 2” chunks for best results.
- Potatoes– I used roaster potatoes, parboiled and cut into 2” chunks. You could also use regular russet potatoes and do the same.
- Lemon juice and zest– Use a vegetable peeler or knife to cut the zest off of the skin of the lemon. Then, squeeze the lemon to get the juice from it to use for this recipe. Fresh is always best.
- Garlic– Fresh garlic cloves finely minced add the best flavor, but you could also buy pre-made minced garlic and use 2-3 tablespoons.
- Shallot– Shallots have a delicate, sweet flavor making them the perfect onion for this dish. Be sure to mince it finely.
- Olive oil– Oil helps the herbs and spices to stick to your meat and potatoes. You can use vegetable oil, canola oil, or even butter if you prefer.
- Spices and herbs– In addition to the main ingredients, you’ll also need thyme, oregano, basil, celtic sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and red pepper flakes for seasoning.
Gather all your ingredients, cut your chicken, and let’s get started with the simplest sheet pan dinner you’ve ever had!
- First, preheat your oven to 350?. Then set a casserole dish, foil lined baking sheet, or oven-safe nonstick pan to the side.
- Parboil your potatoes by placing them in a large pot of boiling water. Cook until just soft when poked with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes well, and then cut them into 2” chunks like you did the chicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the raw chicken, potatoes, lemon juice, zest, herbs, and seasonings.
- Add your olive oil, and toss everything together to evenly coat the chicken and potatoes in the oil, spices and herbs.
- Transfer the seasoned mixture to your prepared casserole dish, foil lined baking sheet, or oven-safe nonstick pan.
- Cook the chicken for 20-minutes or until it’s fully cooked and potatoes are soft.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Baked Chicken and Potatoes and FAQs:
- Top the lemon garlic baked chicken and potatoes with parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, or mozzarella for additional flavor!
- Parboiling your potatoes is optional. But, if you don’t parboil potatoes, they may not be fully softened when the chicken is done.
- If you don’t parboil the potatoes, Dice the potatoes very small or they won’t be tender by the time the chicken is cooked through.
- Check the chicken with a meat thermometer. Chicken should have an internal temperature of 165?.
- Broil the chicken for the last few minutes for more color if it hasn’t browned already.
Before you cook your chicken and potatoes together, you may want to parboil the potatoes to ensure their tenderness. After that, you will cook both the chicken and the potatoes in the oven at 350?.
If you choose to parboil your potatoes, this step will take about 8-12 minutes. While they are cooking, you can cut your chicken and finish the rest of the preparation. Then, you will need 20-minutes to bake the chicken and potatoes. So, the entire process should take about 35-40 minutes depending on how long the preparation takes you.
If you have any leftovers, you can store the chicken and potatoes together in an airtight container for 3-5 days in your refrigerator. Place individual servings on a plate and warm them up in the microwave to reheat.
For this recipe, you don’t have to marinate the chicken. However, I find that marinating chicken for 10-15 minutes allows the herbs and spices to penetrate, adding more flavor and moisture to your finished dish.
What To Serve With Lemon Garlic Chicken and Potatoes
This chicken and potatoes is a complete meal all on its own, but if you want to add an additional side or two, add a veggie, salad, or bread with it. Air Fryer Corn on the Cob, Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots, and Oven Roasted Parmesan Asparagus all make delicious additions to this sheet pan recipe. Of course, you can’t go wrong with some Easy Butter Soft Dinner Rolls on the side.
This dinner also pairs perfectly with one of our easy salad recipes:
Lemon Garlic Chicken and Potatoes
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large (or 4 small) chicken breasts, cut into 2” chunks
- 1 pound roaster potatoes, parboiled, then cut into 2” chunks
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- ½ - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Parboil potatoes - boil whole in a large pot of water until just soft when poked with a fork. Drain well, then cut potatoes into chunks to add to recipe. This step is optional - but if you don’t parboil potatoes, they may not fully cook to soft when chicken is done.
- In a large bowl, combine raw chicken, potatoes, herbs, and seasonings.
- Add olive oil, and toss to evenly coat chicken and potatoes in butter and herbs.
- Add mixture to casserole dish, foil lined baking sheet, or oven-safe nonstick pan.
- Cook 20 minutes, until chicken is 165 degrees internally and potatoes are soft.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 224Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 579mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 4gSugar 10gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.