These delicious Nutella fruit tarts are crispy baked puff pastry topped with fresh fruit drizzled with chocolate hazelnut spread. These tarts are a simple scrumptious crowd-pleasing dessert or sweet appetizer.
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Best Simple Nutella Fruit Tarts
These sweet, sumptuous fruit tarts topped with Nutella are one of my go-to last minute desserts. I always keep some puff pastry in the freezer and usually have some kind of cookie and fruit so whipping these up is a simple! While these tarts are sweet they are not overpowering and you can adjust the amount of Nutella you add to your liking.
While these are a simple bake, these tarts present well and my family and guests are always surprised and delighted by them. I use strawberries and raspberries in this recipe, but you can use apple, apricot, or even tropical fruits with similar results. The trick to this recipe is the crispy crunchy crushed cookie bits. When you add the cookie dust under the fruit it soaks up the fruit's moisture as it cooks which gives your tart a crispy bottom.
How to make Nutella Fruit Tarts
First assemble the following ingredients:
- Puff Pastry - puff pastry has layers of cold butter in-between the pastry which gives it that flakey texture that we want. Your pastry will likely come frozen so be sure to set it in the fridge ahead of time so it is malleable.
- Egg - egg is used as an egg wash to make the sides of the pastry nice and shiny brown.
- Biscuit cookies - and hard biscuit like cookie such as Lotus or Ginger Snaps will work, these will be crushed and go under the fruit to soak up their juices as they bake.
- Strawberries and Raspberries - I love soft juicy sweet strawberries and raspberries for these tarts but you can use apples, pears, or even tropical fruit.
- Granulated sugar - the only sweetener for these tarts is the fruit, a sprinkle of sugar helps accentuate the sweetness.
- Lemon - acidic sharp lemon helps give the fruit a nice coating and flavor. I just squeeze half a lemon lightly over the fruit.
- Unsalted butter - unsalted butter adds a richness to the tarts and helps the pastry crisp.
- Nutella - Nutella is a creamy chocolate hazelnut spread and drizzles well across the top adding a touch of sweetness.
- Powdered sugar - I dust the tarts with powdered sugar to just add a little sweetness and give the tarts a fancy finish.
Once you have assembled the ingredients, use this method:
Prepare Pastry. Cut the chilled puff pastry into six equal pieces. Brush the outer half inch with egg wash and pinch the corners together to form little "boats." Set them aside on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a baking mat.
Assemble Tarts. Sprinkle the center of the tarts with crushed cookies. Arrange the strawberries and raspberries on top of the cookie dust. Sprinkle a little sugar on the fruit then squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice on the fruit too. Top with a cube of unsalted butter.
Bake. Bake at 400 degrees in the center of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Garnish. Pour the nutella into a plastic bag or piping bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and drizzle the nutella onto the tarts with it. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to finish and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Nutella Fruit Tarts
Keep cool. It is important to keep the puff pastry cold. If you have to pause assembly, be sure to store the pastry in the refrigerator until you resume.
Add some jam. If you want your tarts a little sweeter, I recommend adding a small spoonful of your favorite jam or fruit preserves over the fruit before baking. If you use strawberries, you can stick to strawberry jam or add any extra fruit flavor you want to taste.
Choose Fresh and Ripe Fruits: Select fresh, ripe, and seasonal fruits for your tarts. Berries, kiwi, mango, and banana slices are excellent choices. The sweetness and freshness of the fruits will enhance the overall flavor.
Use Quality Nutella: Opt for high-quality Nutella or a similar hazelnut spread. This will ensure a rich and creamy filling that complements the fruits and cookies.
Prep the Tart Shells: Whether you're using pre-cut puff pastry squares or cutting your own, ensure they are baked or prepared according to the instructions and allowed to cool completely before filling.
Spread Nutella Evenly: When filling the tart shells with Nutella, spread it evenly to create a smooth base. Use an offset spatula for precise spreading.
Layer the Fruits Creatively: Arrange the fruit slices in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Consider creating patterns or using a variety of colors to make the tarts visually appealing.
Add a Citrus Zest Garnish: Grate a small amount of citrus zest (e.g., orange or lemon) over the fruit for a fresh and zesty aroma that complements the sweet Nutella.
Crush Biscoff Cookies Tastefully: Crush the Biscoff cookies into fine crumbs using a food processor or by placing them in a resealable bag and gently crushing them with a rolling pin. Be careful not to over-crush; some texture is desirable.
Use a Sifter for Powdered Sugar: If you wish to dust the tarts with powdered sugar for a decorative finish, use a fine-mesh sifter to achieve a light and even dusting.
Add a Dollop of Whipped Cream: A small dollop of freshly whipped cream alongside each tart can enhance the overall indulgence and provide a delightful contrast to the Nutella and fruits.
Personalize Your Tarts: Customize your Nutella fruit tarts by experimenting with different fruits, nuts, or even a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce for added flair.
Serve with Coffee or Tea: Nutella fruit tarts make a lovely dessert when paired with a cup of coffee or tea, so consider offering them as a delightful after-dinner treat.
Leftover tarts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 day or in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I usually warm mine in the microwave when enjoying later.
Yes, in order to make this nut free make sure you use nut free cookies and replace the Nutella with melted chocolate chips since Nutella has hazelnuts in it.
Yes! If you use apples, make sure you slice them very thin so that they can soften in the short amount of time it takes for the pastry to cook.
What to Serve With Nutella Fruit Tarts
Whipped Cream: A dollop of freshly whipped cream on the side adds a delightful creaminess that complements the Nutella and fruit flavors.
Vanilla Ice Cream: A scoop of vanilla ice cream pairs wonderfully with the warm, flaky crust and Nutella filling. It creates a delightful hot-cold contrast.
Fresh Berries: Serve some additional fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries on the side to enhance the fruitiness of the tarts.
Mint Leaves: Garnish the tarts with fresh mint leaves for a burst of color and a refreshing herbal aroma.
Powdered Sugar: Lightly dusting the tarts with powdered sugar before serving adds an extra touch of sweetness and a visually appealing finish.
Chopped Nuts: Sprinkle some finely chopped nuts, such as toasted almonds or hazelnuts, on top for added crunch and flavor.
Chocolate Drizzle: If you want to enhance the chocolate flavor, drizzle some melted chocolate (dark or milk) over the tarts before serving.
Caramel Sauce: A drizzle of caramel sauce can add a rich, buttery sweetness to contrast with the Nutella and fruit.
Coffee or Espresso: For a delightful pairing, serve the tarts with a cup of coffee or espresso. The combination of coffee and Nutella is heavenly.
Fruit Salad: A small fruit salad on the side made with complementary fruits like kiwi, pineapple, and mango can provide a refreshing contrast to the rich tarts.
Tea: If you prefer tea, consider offering a selection of herbal or black teas to accompany the tarts.
Liqueurs: For adults, you can serve a sweet liqueur like Frangelico or Amaretto on the side for sipping and pairing with the tarts.
Try these other Sweet C's favorite desserts:
Nutella Fruit Tarts Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
These delicious tarts are topped with sweet fruit and drizzled with hazelnut chocolate spread, yum!
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, refrigerated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons biscuit cookies (such as Lotus or Ginger Snaps), crumbled
- 9 large strawberries, sliced
- 6 raspberries
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoon nutella
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, place rack in the center of the oven and line baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking sheet.
- Cut the chilled sheet of puff pastry into 6 equal pieces and place on the lined baking sheet for assembly.
- Using a pastry brush or your finger, brush the outer ½ inch of pastry all the way around each tart. Using your index finger and thumb gently press the corners together to form a fluted effect.
- Sprinkle the cookie crumbs into the center of each tart, top with the strawberries and raspberry on each tart, making a design if you wish.
- Top each tart with a sprinkle of sugar, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a cube of butter.
- Bake in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes until golden brown. Set on a wire rack to cool.
- Fill a plastic bag with the nutella. Cut the corner and drizzle nutella over the tarts.
- Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Piping Bags and Tips Set, 100Pcs 12 Inch Pastry Bags, Icing Bags Disposable for Cakes Decorating Kit Supplies with 1 Reusable Piping Bags, 1 Couplers, 4 Frosting Tips, 2 Bag Ties, 3 Cake Scraper
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Small
MMmat Silicone Baking Mats - Best German Silicone - Set of 2
USA Pan Bakeware Cookie Sheet, Large, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel,Silver
Amount Per Serving Calories 294Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 42mgSodium 127mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 2gSugar 30gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.