Paella Kebabs are a deliciously easy grilled twist on a rich and delicious classic!
I loooooooove paella. There is something about saffron and a slightly smoky paprika with chicken, seafood, and sausage cooked in rice that calls to me – and it’s so pretty to watch it being made.
I have long wanted to visit Spain and spend as much time as I can eating everything in sight – and would die to head to Valencia where Paella was first made, and take in as much as the delicious saffron spiked dish as I could handle!
There is something so rich and lovely about foods from the south of Spain – the influence of Roman and Middle Eastern cuisine are intoxicating and rich, full of smoky, spicy, and earthy flavors that dance across fish, chicken, sausage, and rice.
I’m totally drooling just writing all this – and checking the prices on flights to Spain 🙂
While I love paella, its a touch of a pain (we don’t have a pan big enough to make it right), and it’s not really an option for a grilling night. Until now, that is!
These delicious paella kebabs have tons of rich flavor, and are great served over rice. They are a bit lighter flavor than actual paella (since we’re using a basic yellow Spanish rice- I prefer the Goya brand rice)
These kebabs are so delicious and simple, I know you’ll love them as much as we do!
These are great, because you can prep them ahead of a party or dinner – then just toss on the grill and cook up some rice when it’s time to eat – no hurrying and stirring forever like an authentic paella (which is amazing, but not always something I have time for!)
- 1 lbs chicken , sliced into very small, thin pieces
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 sausage, links spicy, andoille, longizana, chorizo, cut into 1" rounds
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes
- 1 package yellow spanish rice
- for the seasoning marinade:
- 1-2 pinches saffron
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings mix OR 1 tsp oregano + 1 tsp thyme + 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- If grilling, soak wood skewers in water (no need to soak if using metal skewers.)
- Place chicken and shrimp in a bowl.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine seasoning marinade ingredients.
- Pour over chicken and shrimp, let marinate 1 hour.
- Prepare yellow rice according to package directions, top with sun dried tomatoes and green onions.
- If baking, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add chicken, sausage, and shrimp to kebab skewers.
- Grill or bake 10-15 minutes, until chicken is opaque and cooked through, and shrimp is opaque and bright pink.
- Serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1537 Saturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 1484mg Sodium: 4141mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 8g Protein: 182g