This is the best way to cook beautiful, colorful carrots from the farmers market- pan roasted butter carrots have a slightly caramelized, rich buttery flavor the whole family loves.
My daughter has never met a vegetable she doesn’t like.
She loves broccoli, peppers, spinach, cauliflower, celery- pretty much anything healthy, she’s game for.
My son, however, could practically survive on carbs alone.
He doesn’t really go for vegetables- it is always a huge struggle to get him to eat any.
Except for, oddly enough, carrots! He loves carrots, and they are my go-to when I’m trying to get him to up his veggie intake.
There are only so many ways you can make carrots, however, and I am running low on my carrot repetoire (though, I will say, I shred up carrots and “hide” them in just about any and everything I can…. I am quite sneaky like that) – so I wanted to start him on some cooked versions of his only favorite vegetable.
I’m not big into sweet carrots, and didn’t really want to try out sugary sides, so the sugary carrot sides were out from the start.
These pan roasted butter carrots are the perfect way to use up farmers market beauties- and don’t toss the leaves! They are great in salads, sauces, and other fun recipes (I have one coming soon!)
I hope you love serving them alongside roasts, chicken, casseroles, steaks, and more just like we do!
this can easily be done on the grill in a foil pouch. Simply finish off the carrots with a pat of butter right before they are done!!
Looking for the perfect pans? I use mineral pans for almost everything- they are heavy, like cast iron, but super smooth and naturally nonstick! They are a bit pricey, but are incredibly heavy, and super long lasting. I LOVE mine! And for an even more decadent flavor- use Ghee (clarified butter) instead of butter!
Pan Roasted Butter Carrots
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil, if cooking on stovetop
- 1 bunch organic carrots, tops removed
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (if roasting in oven.)
- In a heavy, cast iron pan, heat oil and 1tbsp butter until foamy (if cooking on stovetop.)
- Add carrots to pan.
- Cook on medium low until soft, about 6 minutes, then turn heat to medium high on stovetop- or 15 minutes, until soft if in the oven.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add butter to the top of the carrots, basting them as they get a slight char on the outside.
- When soft and slightly charred on each side, plate and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 265 Saturated Fat: 7.9g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 255mg Carbohydrates: 24.8g Fiber: 6.2g Protein: 2.2g
Looking for more healthy side dishes? Try some of my favorites: