Roasted Golden Beets
Aug 22, 2022, Updated Feb 28, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These quick and easy roasted golden beets are baked in Italian spices and lemon which give them a light, acidic, earthy flavor that will make a beet-liever out of anyone!
Quick and Easy Roasted Golden Beets
These beets have a light flavor that is earthy without being overwhelming – with a slightly nutty, lightly sweet flavor when roasted. They are delicious as a side on their own, or over salads, in wraps, or casseroles!
If you love beets but dont want to look like you have murdered someone after handling them golden beets are for you! They have a milder beet flavor and the color isn’t so extreme. This recipe is quick, easy, and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients for a fantastic result.
How to make Roasted Golden Beets
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Golden beets – golden beets have a milder flavor that traditional red beets. They have a sweet earthy flavor that is a perfect base for roasting. They are dense like regular beets but soften nicely when roasted.
- Olive oil – olive oil adds fat and richness to this recipe and also helps keep the beets from sticking to the sheet pan. Use high quality dark olive oil if you can since it has a better deep briny flavor.
- Oregano – it’s best to use fresh herbs whenever possible. Fresh oregano has the flavor in both the leaves themselves and the oils in the leaves which makes for a light fresh strong flavor.
- Sea salt – salt is an absolute must in every recipe and here it helps draw the flavor out of the golden beets, enhancing their subtle sweet flavor.
- Pepper – pepper brings an earthy, spicy kick to dishes that isn’t overpowering, and helps to add dimension and depth to dishes.
- Lemon – lemon brings acid to the party here which will elevate the earthy flavor of the beets. It helps to juice a lemon at room temperature to get the most juice or roll it on the counter a few times before slicing and juicing.
- Lemon zest – zest is lemon’s secret powerhouse. Lemon zest will give the roasted beets a fresh flare when they have cooled from the oven.
- Chives – chives are a great way to bring an onion and garlic like taste without cooking. They bring a brightness to the beets and a fresh element that you don’t want to miss.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Prep. Line a baking tray with tin foil to make cleanup easier later. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, and spices together then coat the beets.
- Roast. Lay the beets out on the baking tray and roast them in the oven. Halfway through the roasting flip the beets on the baking sheet and bake until soft in the center and crispy on the outside.
- Season. After the beets are cooled, top them with the zest of the lemon and sprinkle with diced chives.
Tips and Tricks To Perfect Golden Beets
Making roast golden beets is relatively quick and easy but here are a few tips to make it even more so.
Use fresh beets. The most important ingredient is the beets themselves so it’s very important to buy fresh beets. You can tell how fresh they are by the greens. The less wilted the leaves, the fresher the beets.
Add cheese. Adding a soft cheese gives the beets a richer flavor. My favorite cheese to use with this recipe is Boursin. It’s a soft cheese that can be found at most grocery stores in the cheese section. Crumbling about 3 tablespoons over the beets after they are cooked will add extra richness.
Yes, regular beets will have a slightly different flavor (a stronger beet flavor) than golden beets but they can be substituted. I recommend wearing gloves when peeling and cutting regular red beets or you will look like you have blood stained hands for days.
Yes, beets lend themselves to a wide variety of spices so feel free to mix it up based on whatever cuisine you are making to go with it.
Golden beets are less staining than red beets – but to prevent staining, we recommend using nitrile gloves when peeling raw beets.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to five days or frozen for up to four months.
What to Serve With Golden Roasted Beets
Golden Roasted Beets Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 bunch golden beets (3 beets), peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- zest of 1 lemon
- Chives, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Mix together the olive oil, oregano leaves, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Set aside
- Add the cubed beets to a medium sized bowl. Pour the olive oil mixture over the beets. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the beets to the baking sheet. Bake about 30 minutes flipping the beets about halfway through. Bake until the beets are crispy.
- Once cool, zest the lemon on the beets and top with chives for extra flavor.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Maldon Salt, Sea Salt Flakes, 8.5 oz (240 g), Kosher, Natural, Handcrafted, Gourmet, Pyramid Crystals
A Taste of Portugal Organic Olive Oil | Extra Virgin Olive Oil | Light and Fruity Portuguese Olive Oil | 32 OZ Tin
WESTMARK CLASSIC VEGETABLE PEELER
Top Rated Zulay Premium Quality Metal Lemon Lime Squeezer - Manual Citrus Press Juicer
Reynolds Kitchens Cookie Baking Sheets, Pre-Cut Parchment Paper, 25 Sheets (Pack of 4), 100 Total Sheets
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Set of 2, Aluminized Steel
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 42Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 123mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.