Tangy, spicy, smoky, and fresh- these habanero and tomatillo shrimp tacos are simple, full of delicious ingredients, and crazy healthy!
At the end of Lent, I basically just end up making lots of tacos.
They are simple, easy, and fresh- and after 40 days of coming up with delicious vegan (or vegan and shellfish) recipes I get really tired of coming up with unique twists on meals and just want comfort foods to get us to the magic day on the calendar we get to eat meat and cheese again.
This year, a few days before Pascha (Greek Easter), one of my good friends, who is studying to become an Orthodox Priest came over to help my mother in law on some woodworking projects for church- and he was giddy when I mentioned I was videoing a recipe and begged to get in on the action.
Brian is a great photographer (he was a part of the amazingly fun group my husband and I went to Tbilisi Georgia and Armenia with), and it’s always fun to talk about lenses and cameras with him- even though he’s a Nikon guy.
He’s also got a pretty food sense of food- what works and what doesn’t, and is a bit of a foodie- so it’s always fun to hang out and cook with him. I was so excited to come up with some tacos we’d all love- and these were a huge hit! He and my mother in law even went in for thirds (after a long day of drilling, sanding, and jigsaw work on a new Kouvuklion for church.)
My friend Brian was so excited, he insisted he be in some of my photos- but he just wanted his hands in the shot.
I think I need to have him come help cook more often, because this photo turned out to be one of my favorite shots ever!
Roasted Habanero & Tomatillo Shrimp Tacos
- 6 to matillos, cut into 1/4ths, with husk removed and rinsed well.
- 4 habanero peppers
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise then cut into small chunks
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 can black beans, preferably with lime
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined with shell and tail removed
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a large, heavy pan, heat tomatillos and habaneros until lightly scorched on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Remove tomatillos and peppers, and dice (habaneros might burn skin, use gloves).
- Add grapeseed oil to pan, and heat until shimmery.
- Add diced tomatillos and habaneros back to pan with diced onion.
- Let brown and reduce until sauce is a warm caramel color.
- Add peppers to pan, let brown and soften.
- Add spices and mix well.
- In hot griddle pan, add tortillas one by one to soften.
- Add shrimp to taco mix with beans, cook until shrimp is pink and opaque.
- Remove from heat, and fill warm tortillas wish taco mix.
- Garnish with shredded cabbage and diced green onion.
Amount Per ServingCalories 209 Cholesterol 142mg Sodium 474mg Carbohydrates 23g Fiber 5g Sugar 2g Protein 16g