One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet– this easy, delicious, veggie packed beef taco skillet meal is quick and great for a budget- as well as a low carb diet! Easy cheesy beef taco skillet dinner that is perfect for burrito bowls, salads, skillet tacos, and more with tons of hidden vegetables that kids will eat!
Low Carb Taco Skillet With Cheese
Nothing gets our family to gather around a table faster than two things- tacos and cheese.
Mention either one, and my family is ready for a feast!
For us, quick, hearty, and secretly-packed-with-veggies meals are our go to options- and this One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet is one that doesn’t disappoint! This recipe is the perfect beef taco skillet dinner that is packed with vegetables, beef taco flavor, and tons of ooey, gooey melted cheese for a low carb taco skillet that is great for keto dieters and fans of low carb tacos.
We are often trying out low-carb diets, which can be a bit tricky to stay happy and satisfied on – but these cheesy taco skillets are packed with meaty, hearty flavor that work well to keep us motivated!
Just take me to the cheesy beef taco skillet recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, i think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy cheesy taco skillet recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
I first got the idea for taco skillets from Melissa at Number 2 Pencil- she is the queen of one pot meals!
Her One Pan Chicken Burrito Bowls kind of spurred on this take- because how good do these look?
I don’t have them in the recipe video for these skillets, but adding sliced mushrooms is another awesome addition to this taco skillet that we’ve been adding lately and really, really enjoying!
It’s a sort of one pot taco burrito bowl that is low carb – for a low carb keto taco skillet that will work on a number of special diets!
I mean, just check out this profile!!!
Under 13 carbs and 350 calories per serving! Plus you’re getting tons of vegetables in each serving- perfect for a hearty, healthy dinner!
And thanks to a heaping dose of cheese, it doesn’t taste like diet food at all.
This One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet recipe is incredibly low carb- but you can also reduce the calories by using ground chicken or turkey meat, and using a skim cheese like mozzarella (though I am a proponent of full fat, gooey cheese!).
I also have an incredibly hearty and delicious meaty version of this – that is COMPLETELY vegan!
I know that sounds hard, but it is so good – and deceptively simple!
One Pot Beef Taco Skillet Vegetable Swap Ideas
- 8 oz sliced or chopped cremini mushrooms help to boost the meaty skillet flavor and are a great low carb, low calorie option!
- Fresh roasted green chiles make an exceptional addition for a spicy, smoky kick!
- Canned ro-tel diced tomatoes with spices are a great extra flavorful addition instead of plain diced tomatoes. Alternatively, cherry tomatoes or fresh hothouse or roma tomatoes, diced, give a ton of fresh flavor!
- Diced beet greens or arugula are lovely, slightly peppery substitutes to kale or spinach.
- Fresh shredded carrots mixed with pickled jalapenos makes an awesome topper when the skillet is done – similar to fresh carrot and jalapeno salsa from a mexican restaurant.
- Turnips, squash, sweet potatoes, and other root veggies, when shredded or diced into small bites, make an awesome addition if you’re not watching starches or carbs!
- Red pepper – I love red pepper strips in skillet tacos – the red pepper brings a delicious tangy and smoky-sweet flavor
Tips to Make The Perfect Skillet Taco Burrito Bowls
I like to serve this meal over a bed of lettuce or greens- like a Chipotle Burrito Bowl- but you can also add it over rice or dump it in a taco or burrito, too!
- For this recipe, you want to cook as high enough as you can without burning anything.
- Since there are so many variations to stovetops, pan choices, and how much moisture is in your veggies and meat, this will vary per person. Keep the pan hot, without burning – on whatever setting that represents on your stove.
- Don’t drain off excess liquid from the breakdown of the vegetables.
- When you add the taco seasonings, this will help to create a deliciously rich and meaty sauce that packs a huge punch of flavor!
- Don’t rush the cooktime on the vegetables.
- Getting a nicely browned veggie is crucial for flavor development!
- If making in a slow cooker, pre-brown the meat, or check on it frequently while meat is browning – or you’ll have a giant lump of meat not too unlike clumps of oddly shaped meatloaf, and less like tacos.
- Forget low carb – this taco bowl dinner also makes a mean pasta salad – simply dump over macaroni for a delicious cheesy macaroni taco skillet!
Other Easy One Pot Recipes You’ll Love
If you love this easy cheesy skillet, be sure to check out some of my other favorite everyday extravagant recipes that are done in no time! Click the videos to watch me make each recipe, and click the link below to get each printable recipe so you can make them at home too!
And if you’re looking for an even easier and healthier version, check out this Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowl recipe!
One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet Recipe
If you love this One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Or you can sign up for my totally free email newsletter to get my favorite easy meals delivered straight to your inbox, daily and be sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram – or join the Sweet C’s Facebook group where you can share your favorite recipes, lifestyle tips, travel – and just fun stuff!
Please click to watch my video of this recipe below:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 12 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1-2 large zucchinis diced
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 3 cups baby kale/spinach mixture this sounds like a lot- it cooks down to a small amount, optional
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and jack cheese
- green onions to garnish
In a large pan, lightly brown ground beef and crumble well.
Drain excess fat.
Add vegetables, and cook until browned.
Add canned tomatoes, taco seasoning, and any water needed for taco seasoning to evenly coat mixture (up to 1 tbsp- the liquid from the tomatoes will help)
Add greens and let fully wilt.
Cover with shredded cheese, and let cheese melt - about five minutes (sometimes it helps to cover the pan with a lid to melt the cheese faster.)
When cheese is melted, serve over a bed of lettuce, rice, or in a taco or burrito!
Garnish with green onions if desired.