Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Aug 08, 2023, Updated Aug 18, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Rich indulgent slow cooker loaded baked potato soup is bursting with bacon and cheesy flavor. This soup is loaded with all your favorite potato toppings for the ultimate comfort food.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Simple Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
I love a good loaded baked potato. My family is particularly fond of crispy bacon, melted rich cheese, and fresh green onions on top! This soup is the savory satisfying soup version of a classic loaded baked potato. The sour cream, heavy cream, and cheese add richness and creaminess to the soup. The bacon and onion are the backbone and add the salty and sweet elements to balance out the perfect bowl of soup.
I designed this recipe to be made primarily in the slow cooker which allows you to load everything up and let is cook during the day, making dinnertime effortless. This is also one of my children’s favorite recipes which makes dinnertime less stressful all around. With each spoonful this indulgent soup caresses your palate and delights with a harmonious blend of textures and tastes that sing in perfect harmony. Enjoy!
How to make Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
First you will need to assemble the following ingredients:
- Potatoes – I always use Russett potatoes for this soup just like you would use for loaded baked potatoes. Be sure to scrub them and peel them.
- Onion – cooked onion will add a savory sweetness that will balance the dairy well.
- Chicken Broth – chicken broth enhances the potatoes well and makes it richer. I like to use Orrington Farms broth.
- Salt and Pepper – be careful when seasoning with salt and pepper. You absolutly need them for flavor and spice but taste as you season so you dont over salt the soup.
- Bacon – this crispy, smoky, salty addition to the soup is critical to get that classic flavor, add more as you like!
- Unsalted Butter – butter adds a wonderful fat and is necessary to make the roux with the flour that will give the soup its thickness.
- Flour – flour when cooked off in the butter makes a wonderful roux that will thicken the soup.
- Heavy cream – heavy cream will give the potatoes the rich and creamy flavor and texture they need for the soup.
- Soup cream – sour cream adds a tangy luscious flavor to the soup.
- Cheddar cheese – I prefer to use sharp cheddar cheese for a nice sharp hit. You can use mild if you prefer.
- Scallions – scallions are the perfect fresh bite for this slow cooker soup.
Once you have assembled the ingredients, use this method:
Load up the cooker. Add the potatoes, onion, chicken broth, bacon, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker.
Cook. Set the slow cooker to low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
Roux. In the last 10 minutes of cooking melt the butter in the saucepan. Sprinkle the flour and whisk 2 minutes to cook off the flour flavor. Add the heavy cream to the pan and stir smooth. Add some milk if you want to thin it. When its thick add the sour cream and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
Combine. Add the roux to the slow cooker then using an immersion blender (or working in batches in an upright blender) blend the soup till smooth or partially smooth depending on your preference.
Taste. Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings, add salt, as needed. Top with the scallions, extra bacon, and extra cheese as you desire and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Add a touch of heat. One of my favorite additions to this soup is just a small touch of hot sauce. This will add a savory flair that cuts through the dairy very well.
Use Bacon Grease. I like to keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge. For this soup I add some to the butter when making the roux for a stronger bacon flavor.
This soup will likely need to be thinned with a few spoons of water as you reheat it. You can reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Yes! This soup freezes very well. Be sure to put in a freezer gallon bag, label it and freeze for 3-4 months.
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 4 cups of peeled, cubed potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled bacon plus more to garnish if desired
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (garnish)
- Scallions (garnish)
- Add the potatoes, onion, chicken broth, bacon, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Set it on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- In the last 10 minutes of the slow cooker’s cooking time, melt the butter in a saucepan on the stovetop at medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes to cook off the floury taste.
- Add the heavy cream to the pan and stir almost continuously until the mixture has thickened and would coat a spoon. Add milk or water to thin if needed. Add the sour cream and stir to combine, remove from heat.
- Add the roux from the saucepan into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Using an immersion blender or working in batches in an upright blender, blend the soup till partly smooth. You can make it totally smooth if you prefer.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings as needed. Top with shredded cheese, bacon, and scallions when serving. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
REDMOND Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Gluten Free Fine, 26 Ounce Pouch (1 Pack)
Immersion Hand Blender, UTALENT 5-in-1 8-Speed Stick Blender with 500ml Food Grinder, BPA-Free, 600ml Container,Milk Frother,Egg Whisk,Puree Infant Food, Smoothies, Sauces and Soups - White
Zulay Premium 12 Inch Stainless Steel Ladle with Comfortable Grip - Soup Ladle with Long Handle and Ample Bowl Capacity Perfect for Stirring, Serving Soups and More - Heavy-Duty Metal Ladle
Crock-Pot 6 Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel (SCCPVL610-S-A)
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 376Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 84mgSodium 907mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 8g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.