This deliciously easy Slow Cooker Sausage Hashbrown and Egg Breakfast Casserole is the perfect way to start your day! It is simple, easy, and requires absolutely zero waking up early!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Simple Slow Cooker Sausage and Hashbrown Egg Casserole
I love big, rich breakfasts but I don't love waking up early to *make* big, rich breakfasts.
One morning I knew we'd have a hectic Saturday and wanted to try out a slow cooker egg casserole recipe that was made in a crockpot. I know.... eggs and a slow cooker? I shuddered a bit and figured it was worth a shot.
And man, was it ever! This Slow Cooker Sausage Hashbrown and Egg Breakfast Casserole will make anyone look like a domestic goddess who has a healthy relationship with mornings.
How to make Slow Cooker Sausage Hashbrown Egg Casserole
To make Slow Cooker Sausage Hashbrown Egg Casserole you'll need:
- Frozen hash browns or country potatoes - Potatoes make this breakfast hearty and help the eggs have something to hold their shape.
- Salt and pepper - salt and pepper are essential to have a well seasoned tasty breakfast dish. Season each piece to taste when serving.
- Basil and oregano - basil and oregano are both great flavor powerhouses and will give this casserole an aromatic flavor direction.
- Sausage crumbles - sausage is high in fat and gives this breakfast a higher protein content and a rich flavor.
- Eggs - eggs are the binder here. Use high quality eggs for the best flavor and texture.
- Mozzarella cheese - mozzarella is high in fat and flavor and also helps to bind the breakfast slow cooker casserole. As a plus it adds a rich delicious cheese flavor.
Once you assemble all the ingredients, make the slow cooker sausage and hashbrown egg casserole using the following method:
Prep. Grease the bottom of the slow cooker well with cooking spray. Add the potatoes/hash browns and seasonings and toss.
Layer. Add the sausage on top of the potatoes, spread the cheese over the sausage. In a small bowl mix the eggs, milk, and hot sauce until frothy. Pour the eggs over and top and cover with the lid.
Cook. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours or until eggs are puffy and firm. Remove the lid and let casserole sit for about 15 minutes to set before enjoying!
Tips and Tricks
Check out these tips and tricks for mastering this recipe.
Tip 1 - Do NOT skip the seasoning step, or season out of order - YOU NEED TO SEASON THE POTATOES, WELL. You might want to sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the top of the dish, according to your tastes, but don't skip seasoning the potatoes well. Add salt, pepper, herbs, and toss them so its coated well. Do this before you add all the other ingredients- or you will end up with bland, flavorless potatoes. Trust me on this one!
Tip 2 - You can also cook on high. Halve the cook time by switching your slow cooker to high, it makes the sides very brown and crunchy. I have the instructions set to low because that is how I like my casserole- but cooking on high for 3-4 hours works too, I just prefer how it turns out on low better.
You don't need to add the sausage to make this casserole. If you leave it out the result will be less rich since you lose the fat from the meat. You can add some sautéed vegetables of your choice.
You can use any cheese for this recipe. I prefer a cheese that will melt easily so the casserole comes together easier.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Check out these other Sweet C's favorites!
If you are a fellow breakfast lover, check out my other favorite recipes!
Serve this casserole alongside, Easy Apple Banana Cake Bread, Peach Blueberry Dutch Baby Oven Pancakes, 2-Ingredient Easy Mulling Spiced Donuts, Poblano Egg Breakfast Tacos, or Cheesy Chorizo Egg and Potato Skillet
Slow Cooker Sausage Hashbrown and Egg Breakfast Casserole
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Slow cooker sausage and hashbrown breakfast casserole is an easy, delicious meal with sausage, hashbrowns, and eggs that cook perfectly in a slow cooker! Perfect for brunch parties.
- 32 oz bag frozen hash browns or country potatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
- 1 lb cooked sausage crumbles
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce of your choice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- (Optional) diced tomatoes and basil to garnish
- Grease bottom of slow cooker
- Add potatoes or hash browns to bottom of cooker
- Add seasonings and toss with potatoes
- Layer sausage on top of potatoes
- Top with cheese
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, milk, and hot sauce until frothy.
- Pour eggs over the casserole and add lid
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until eggs are puffy and firm! Let casserole rest about 15 minutes uncovered before enjoying.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Reynolds Kitchens Slow Cooker Liners, Regular (Fits 3-8 Quarts), 4 Count (Pack of 12), 48 Total
Huy Fong Foods Sriracha Sauce, 28 oz. (Pack of 2)
OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Balloon Whisk,Black
Ninja MC1001 Foodi PossibleCooker PRO 8.5 Quart Multi-Cooker, with 8-in-1 Slow Cooker, Pressure Cooker, Dutch Oven & More, Glass Lid & Integrated Spoon, Nonstick, Oven Safe Pot to 500°F, Sea Salt Grey
Amount Per Serving Calories 450Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 323mgSodium 1146mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 5gSugar 4gProtein 24g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Sweet C's Favorites
If you love this recipe, please check out some of our top posts!
These tried and true reader favorites are well loved for their family friendly flavor that everyone loves!