Creamy hamburger hash brown soup is full of hearty, meaty, and creamy flavor – super simple!
I love creamy, easy dutch oven soups in winter that are full of flavor – and this soup is the perfect dinner for an easy meal that cooks in just a couple hours with almost no work!
I came up with this recipe by accident. I wanted to make some loaded baked potato soup (my husband’s favorite), but we were all out of potatoes.
I had some hash browns in our freezer that I wanted to use up and figured that potato is potato, and decided to see if it would taste any good.
After a bit of tweaking to bring out a roasted hash brown flavor, I realized quickly that this soup was going to be a massive hit – and I am SO glad I tried out such a random substitution!
This soup has all the delicious flavor you love in baked potato soup, with a rich and buttery hash brown flavor.
Hot tip: It’s important to pre-cook the hash browns in the dutch oven, stirring them occasionally to crisp up the hash browns evenly – or to quickly brown them in a pan before adding to the dutch oven. I also add pre-browned ground beef – but it doesn’t have to be fully cooked.
I like to brown ground beef in big batches and then use it in tacos, spaghetti, and other dishes – so this works perfectly into an easy weekly meal plan!
You could even toss all the ingredients into a slow cooker as is, but the pre-browning steps really bring out a richer, more buttery flavor.
Creamy Slow Cooker Hash Brown and Hamburger Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 lb hash browns
- 1 lb beef, ground, browned
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 8 oz chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- fresh chives or cilantro, diced
- In a large dutch oven, add butter and hash browns and cook on medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to mix well and prevent burning.
- Add ground beef and onion, and mix into hashbrowns, cook 10-15 minutes, until onions have slightly browned and hashbrowns are a light caramel color.
- Add stock and garlic powder and and let simmer on low for one hour.
- Stir in cream, salt, and pepper into soup and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add to bowls and top with grated cheddar cheese, chives, or cilantro.
Amount Per ServingCalories 532 Saturated Fat 24g Cholesterol 147mg Sodium 336mg Carbohydrates 15g Fiber 1g Sugar 1g Protein 20g