Cheesy BBQ Beef and Biscuit Casserole with Grands biscuits is a hearty quick bar-be-que casserole classic the whole family will love! Great bbq casserole to bring to potlucks and parties!
While my parents were out recently, I made my dad one of the first meals I ever learned to make- and one of his favorites- our Cheesy BBQ Beef & Biscuit Casserole.
Besides being incredibly delicious, it is SO easy to make- less than 30 minutes total and only 5 ingredients!
Update March 2016– Check out this delicious Cheesy Little Smokies BBQ Biscuit Bake – a tasty, quick spinoff from this delicious recipe that your family is going to love!!!
My mom has been making a version of this for a long time, and I never really wrote down the recipe- it’s something we just kind of simplified and adjusted on the fly over time.
I really, really like this mix though now that I have taken the time to write it all down. You can add your own twist on it, but this super simple recipe is our tried and true hit.
This is an awesome recipe for a Superbowl Party- except you’ll need to make double because trust me – it will go FAST!
No worries though, it is so easy and quick to make you’ll have no problem making more.
One note- I am suggesting KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. This is fairly important because you want a sweet and thick sauce- so if you use another similar brand that is fine- but if you use something a little more vinegar-y or mustard-y you may want to add a tablespoon of brown sugar at a time until it tastes right.
Also, I don’t always drain the fat off ground beef (lazy, I know)- but you HAVE to in this recipe or it will get soggy and look like an oil slick.
-Give the biscuit layer a little pre-bake time for the best results. I pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes before adding the meat and cheese- this prevents your biscuit base from being gooey.
-You can also cook the beef and bbq sauce in a slow cooker for about 2 hours and then spoon into a partially pre-baked biscuit base to save space, or make this a one pot dinner by topping the meat with grands in the slow cooker.
-Reduce pans and mess- add the biscuits on top and pop in the oven for an upside-down one pot recipe!
- 1 can flaky biscuits (8 per pack)
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 cup kc masterpiece (or other sweet) BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 1½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a very well greased casserole dish, lay out biscuits.
- In a large pan, brown ground beef.
- While beef cooks, smoosh biscuits to make a layer across the bottom of the pan.
- Bake until very slightly browned, about 5 minutes, and set aside until beef is ready.
- When ground beef is cooked, drain fat well.
- Add BBQ sauce and mustard, stir well and taste- add more of either to taste.
- Pour beef mixture into biscuit base.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Enjoy !