Lightly spicy, flavorful, and completely vegan, these Air Fryer Tofu Tacos are absolutely delicious! You won’t be disappointed with the flavor or texture of these tacos.
Easy Air Fryer Tofu Tacos
Delicious and filling, these tacos are made with crispy tofu and topped with thinly sliced cabbage, sweet peppers, avocado, and cilantro. They are packed with protein, fiber, and a ton of flavor.
Not sure about tofu? Tofu taco meat is actually the perfect substitute for ground beef when it comes to eating on a vegan diet. In fact, tofu is one of the most versatile ingredients and can take on the flavor of almost any dish. Marinated in Mexican-inspired flavors, you won’t be disappointed.
How To Make Air Fryer Tofu Tacos
Perfect for taco Tuesday, this recipe is quick and easy to make. Here’s what you will need to get started:
- Tofu– Make sure to get extra firm tofu. It holds its shape and absorbs the flavors better for this recipe.
- Cabbage– Make sure to slice the cabbage thin. You will be making this into a slaw topping.
- Apple cider vinegar and Limes– The apple cider and lime juice will be used to turn your cabbage into a flavorful slaw.
- Onion– I like to add onions to my toppings, but you can choose any toppings you prefer for your tofu tacos.
- Sweet peppers– Sweet peppers complement the spicy Mexican seasonings and add a nice crunch to your taco.
- Avocado– I love to top my tacos with chunks of avocado, but this is totally options.
- Cilantro– Cilantro makes a great garnish, but you could use parsley as well if you choose.
- Marinade Seasonings– For the marinade, you will need cumin, pepper, chili powder, paprika, and soy sauce.
- Cornstarch– This is needed to thicken up the marinade creating a thicker sauce so that it isn’t dripping in the air fryer.
- Tortilla bowls– You can use regular tortillas, but I like the bowls because they hold everything together nicely.
Once you have all of your ingredients, these air fryer tofu tacos are ready in about an hour.
- First, place your tofu on a paper towel between two plates.
- Then, gently place something weighted on top of the plate so the water squeezes from the tofu. Let it drain for about 30-minutes.
- While the tofu is draining, combine the sliced cabbage, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and juice from 1 lime into a bowl. Toss to coat the cabbage and set aside.
- Next, dice your tofu into ½ inch cubes and add them to a mixing bowl. Pour the soy sauce and juice from the other lime over the tofu. Toss to coat.
- Then, add the cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder to the tofu. Stir until the seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Let tofu marinate in this mixture for 15 minutes, then drain any excess liquid from the bowl.
- Preheat your air fryer to 370? for 5-minutes.
- Add the cornstarch to the tofu bowl. Toss the tofu to fully coat it with the cornstarch.
- Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Then, arrange the tofu in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook the tofu for 13-minutes, stopping halfway through to shake the basket.
- Finally, remove the tofu from the air fryer and set it aside in a bowl.
- Set your air fryer to 380? and preheat for 5 minutes. Then, place your tortilla bowls into the air fryer and toast them for 2-minutes.
- Dice the onion, chop the cilantro, and slice the avocados and sweet peppers into individual serving bowls for toppings.
- Remove the toasted tortilla bowls from the air fryer and put them on a serving platter.
- Add a layer of tofu to the bowl, top with slaw, avocados, onions, sweet peppers, and garnish with cilantro.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Tofu Tacos and FAQs:
- Make a taco station. Have the cooked tofu, toppings, and taco bowls set out for everyone to make their own taco just the way they like.
- Don’t skip pressing the water out of the tofu. This is required in order to be used in most recipes because it improves the texture of the tofu especially when being “fried.”
- If you can wait, press the tofu for up to an hour as this will make it even better.
For this recipe, we cooked the tofu at 370?. However, if you want the tofu slightly crispier on the outside, you could cook it at 400? for 9-12 minutes.
The longest part of this recipe is the prep work. You’ll spend about 45-minutes making the slaw, marinating the tofu, and cutting up your toppings. The cook time is much quicker and will only take about 15-minutes. Altogether, you should have a delicious Taco Tuesday meal on the table in about an hour.
If you are using tortilla bowls, you will be able to make about 6-taco bowls using the ingredients. However, you can easily double the recipe. Just make sure you cook the tofu in a single layer.
Only assemble the tacos you will eat. This is because you will want to store the tofu, veggies, and toppings in their own separate containers. Place each taco topping into an airtight container and put it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you want a taco, simply warm up the tofu and tortilla bowls in the microwave and assemble your tacos.
Tofu is a meat substitute. It is also known as bean curd. Bean curd is prepared by coagulating soy milk and pressing the curds into solid white blocks that have different softness. They can come in silken, soft, firm, extra firm, or super firm. For this recipe, you want to use extra firm tofu to get the right texture for taco meat.
What To Serve With Tofu Tacos
Tofu tacos can be served with anything you would serve regular tacos with. I like to serve them with Keto Tortilla Chips and Avocado Tomatillo Salsa for a quick and easy side. These tacos are also delicious with Mexican Risotto, Sriracha Cheese Grilled Corn, or Spicy Garlicky Beans.
Air Fryer Tofu Tacos Recipe
If you love this easy recipe, please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Air Fryer Tofu Tacos are deliciously healthy and the perfect weeknight dinner option.
- 1 lb tofu
- ½ head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 limes, divided and juiced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet peppers, sliced
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 avocado
- Place tofu onto a paper towel between two plates. Place weight onto the top plate to gently squeeze excess water from tofu. Allow moisture to drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare slaw. Combine sliced cabbage with apple cider vinegar, juice from 1 lime, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Dice tofu into ½” cubes and add to a bowl. Pour the soy sauce and juice from 1 lime over the tofu and toss to coat.
- Next add in the cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder and stir until tofu is evenly seasoned. Let tofu marinate in this mixture for 15 minutes, then drain any excess liquid from the bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370* for 5 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch to the tofu bowl and toss to coat.
- Next, lightly spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange tofu in the air fryer in a single layer and cook for 13 minutes. Stop halfway through and shake the basket to redistribute the tofu and evenly cook.
- Remove tofu from the air fryer and set aside in a bowl for the taco station.
- Set the air fryer to 380* and preheat for 5 minutes. Place the tortilla bowls into the air fryer and toast for 2 minutes
Prepare a taco station. Dice the red onion, chop the cilantro, and slice the avocados and sweet peppers into individual serving bowls.
- Arrange the bowls. Remove toasted burrito bowls from the air fryer and arrange on a serving platter. Add a layer of tofu to the bottom of the bowl. Top with slaw, sliced avocados, diced onions, sweet peppers, and garnish with chopped cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
imarku Chef Knife - Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch Chef's Knives High Carbon German Stainless Steel Sharp Paring Knife with Ergonomic Handle (Red Handle)
OXO Good Grips 9-Inch Tongs with Silicone Heads
COSORI Air Fryer Oven Combo 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker (Cookbook with 100 Recipes), One-Touch Screen with 11 Precise Presets and Shake Reminder, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Square Design Basket, Black
Instant Vortex Plus 10 Quart Air Fryer, Rotisserie and Convection Oven, Air Fry, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate and Warm, 1500W, Stainless Steel and Black
Ninja AF101 Air Fryer, 4 Qt, Black/gray
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 705mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 6gSugar 6gProtein 11g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.