Cheesy, easy, and so delicious- this Chicken Green Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato is the ultimate low-carb comfort food dish!
Eating low carb and still indulging in delicious comfort foods can be kind of a pain. We try to add as many unprocessed foods and vegetables as we can into our main dishes (it totally counts against the cravings for chips/candy/cookies/fudge… right??) but it can get repetitive fast.
I love stuffed potatoes- and I love sweet potatoes- so I decided to change things up with one of my favorite everyday meals (fajita-like mexican chicken stir fry) with some spicy green chili, gooey cheese, and some delicious sweet potatoes!
This meal is easy and delicious- and a great companion to my Cheesy Chicken Green Chile Skillet. You can make up a big batch and serve it over rice or a salad one night, and over these potatoes the next for a totally different taste!
For me, eating healthier is something that has to be easy, and I try to increase our veggie intake whenever I can. This is an awesome way to step up your veggies for the day, and tastes incredibly rich and indulgent!
- 4 Sweet Potatoes, washed and holes poked in
- 3 cups Cheesy Chicken Green Chile Skillet
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- green onion, cilantro, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Poke holes in your sweet potatoes to avoid having them explode in the oven .
- Bake 40 minutes, until very soft.
- Make or reheat Cheesy Chicken Green Chile Skillet (recipe below).
- When sweet potatoes are soft, remove and cut in half.
- Use a fork to mash the inside of the potato a bit.
- Top with chicken green chili.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, or cilantro to garnish.
- Serve Immediately.
- 3 chicken breasts, diced into 1" cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 8 oz can diced tomatoes with green chili
- 1 jar green chile sauce (I use Hatch 505 Green Chile)
- ½ package cacique oaxhaca
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pan, heat 1 tsp of olive oil on medium high heat until shimmery.
- Brown chicken, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion and pepper, brown- another 8 minutes.
- Add green chili sauce and cheese.
- Stir well to incorporate cheese, let fully melt- about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and plate over salad, add to tacos, or pile over rice