This One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Green Chile Skillet is creamy, spicy and perfect for burrito bowls, salads, casseroles, or just over a big bowl of rice!
It’s hard to come up with delicious, easy dinners that taste indulgent and creamy but aren’t too loaded with calories. I love delicious, creamy, rich dishes- but let’s face it, they aren’t super healthy. This lightened up skillet is under 300 calories per serving (make sure you portion correctly, there are only four servings in the dish) to make a perfect addition to rice, a salad “burrito bowl” style, or even a taco/burrito!
This skillet is a perfect easy meal that also makes great leftovers- it can be repurposed into a base for torilla soup the next day! Just add stock and some more diced tomatoes for a deliciously comforting meal.
Be sure to measure out your cheese if you’re looking for the right calories- and find a good part-skim cheese (I use Oaxaca from Cacique- in your grocer’s refrigerated deli or hispanic goods section) because it is part skim, but melts like a charm for perfect, thick, stretchy cheese! It’s delicious and perfect for a decadent meal that won’t break your calorie budget.
- 3 chicken breasts, diced into 1" cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 8 oz can diced tomatoes with green chili
- 1 jar green chile sauce (I use Hatch 505 Green Chile)
- ½ package cacique oaxhaca
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pan, heat 1 tsp of olive oil on medium high heat until shimmery.
- Brown chicken, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion and pepper, brown- another 8 minutes.
- Add green chili sauce and cheese.
- Stir well to incorporate cheese, let fully melt- about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and plate over salad, add to tacos, or pile over rice.