If you love Starbucks signature sweet and spicy pumpkin bread check out this simple delicious copycat recipe, only your wallet will be able to tell the difference.
Here at Sweet C’s we know we have lots of types of readers – some who want lots of information about the recipes they are making, some who want just certain tips, and some who want to get straight to the recipe. While our posts are longer and broken up into many sections, we do this to provide you with enough information to feel empowered to make a great dish every time you step in the kitchen, no matter your comfort level cooking.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Easy Pumpkin Loaf Bread
I am a sucker for a slice of pumpkin bread and have always been partial to Starbucks pumpkin bread with its strong spices and pumpkin seeds on the top, yum! After years of making pumpkin bread I have finally figured out how they make their signature fall treat.
For years I was trying to just use pumpkin spice but have found that using pumpkin pie spice mix that has been elevated with extra spices gives you that strong pumpkin and spice dynamic that makes this fall bread a classic.
How to Make Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Bread
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- White sugar – I use white sugar to sweeten the pumpkin bread since it gives the bread a pure sweetness without any added flavors.
- Light brown sugar – light brown sugar gives the bread a slight molasses flavor that blends perfectly with the spices in this pumpkin bread.
- Vegetable oil – you can use any oil for this recipe to add fat that will help the bread come together. Avoid any type of oil that has a distinct flavor of its own such as olive oil since you want the pumpkin bread to taste like the pumpkin and spices.
- Eggs – eggs will give the pumpkin bread richness and structure because of their high protein content. I always use farm fresh eggs since they have a darker, richer yoke.
- Pureed pumpkin – pumpkin puree adds an earthy, nutty, sweet flavor and moisture to the pumpkin bread. I use canned pumpkin puree for this recipe but you can use fresh, see tip #1 below for more info.
- Water – I use water to thin the pumpkin puree so the end result is a light rich pumpkin bread.
- Flour – use all purpose flour in this pumpkin bread to bring the dough together and give it a good structure. If you use bread flour, the end result will be chewier and more like a conventional yeasted sandwich bread.
- Baking soda – baking soda will give the bread a good rise since it doesn’t have yeast. You want to make sure you don’t add too much baking soda or your pumpkin bread will have a bitter taste.
- Salt – I use fine grain sea salt in my pumpkin bread. It distributes evenly throughout the bread and draws out the flavor of the ingredients, especially the pumpkin puree.
- Cloves – cloves are the flower buds from a tree found in the forests in Indonesia. It has a very strong woody fruity flavor so use sparingly.
- Pumpkin pie spice – similar to the English Commonwealth mixed spice, pumpkin pie spice is a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice. If you don’t have any pumpkin pie spice on hand, see tip #2 below to make your own.
- Cinnamon – cinnamon is the bark of the Cinnamomum tree commonly found in tropical regions of the world and is one of the oldest known spices dating back to the Chinese in 3000 BC. It has a sweet, warm, earthy flavor that pairs well with pumpkin. I use extra cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to enhance the pumpkin pie spice mixture.
- Nutmeg – nutmeg is the kernel of the seed from Nutmeg trees found in the tropical islands of the East Indies. It has a warm, sweet, very strong flavor.
- Pepitas – pepitas are roasted pumpkin seeds without the shells. These will be available at most supermarkets in the baking department but the other nuts.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Step 1 – In a large bowl mix the sugars, eggs, oil and pureed pumpkin. Once it has come together add the water and whisk until homogeneous. In another smaller bowl, sift together all the remaining dry ingredients.
- Step 2 – Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until combined, don’t overmix since that will make the pumpkin bread tough.
- Step 3 – Separate the mix into 2 greased loaf pans and sprinkle with the chopped pepitas.
- Step 4 – Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Let it cool to retain moisture.
- Step 5 – Slice and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Bread:
You will love these tips and tricks for your copycat Starbucks pumpkin bread.
Fresh vs. Canned Pumpkin. Fresh pumpkin has a different flavor (more like butternut squash) than canned pumpkin. If you want to use fresh puree you can cut a pumpkin in half, clean out the seeds, then place it on a roasting pan with the flesh down and bake it at 375 degrees until a knife inserted into the outer skin inserts easily (about an hour). Then scoop out the inside and mash it to make a puree.
Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice. To make your own pumpkin pie spice, mix 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cloves, 2 tsp ground ginger, and ½ tsp ground nutmeg in a glass jar and shake to combine. It will keep for up to 4 years at room temperature.
If you have leftovers you can wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and leave them at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Yes! If you want to freeze it, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap after it has completely cooled and freeze for up to 4 months. I often will bake a bunch of loaves of pumpkin bread before Thanksgiving, freeze them, then wrap them in ribbon and give them out as gifts for Christmas.
I love these loaf pans because I can see how done my pumpkin bread is and they come with a lid for easy leftover storage!
What to Serve With Pumpkin Bread
If you enjoyed this delicious copycat starbucks pumpkin bread you will also love, Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins loaded with creamy flavor, fun and delicious Pumpkin Magic Bars, try a similar Pumpkin Loaf Bread, a simple, budget-friendly Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe our delicious, easy Pumpkin Hand Pies and our Pumpkin Pie Punch! Or our deliciously Easy Spider Decorated Cookies!
Try this bread with some of our other breakfast favorites:
Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Bread Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Delicious moist and spicy pumpkin bread with crunchy pumpkin seeds baked to perfection just like the Starbucks pumpkin loaf!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15 oz) can pure pureed pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-4 tablespoons Pepitas (green pumpkin seeds), chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 2 loaf pans or line with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together both sugars, eggs, oil, and pureed pumpkin. Add water and mix until well combined
- In another bowl, sift or whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves, pumpkin pie spice and ground nutmeg.
- Pour flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir together. Stir just enough to mix everything together but don't over mix.
- Immediately pour batter evenly into the 2 loaf pans and sprinkle with chopped pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds) over the top.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the pumpkin bread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 393Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 47mgSodium 379mgCarbohydrates 59gFiber 1gSugar 37gProtein 5g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.