This delicious twist on a favorite dish – a Cottage Cheese Lasagna – swaps cottage cheese for ricotta in a delicious, decadent, and amazing lasagna the whole family will love!
My Grandma was the sweetest lady. She would do anything for her kids and her grandkids- and now that my kids are getting older, I have really started to wish they could have met my amazing grandma who died when I was just 13. I tell my kids about her all the time- and we like to talk to her in heaven.
As my kids grow, I have tried to incorporate more and more of my mom and my grandma’s favorite recipes for them to enjoy. While there are quite a few family recipes my kids turn their nose up at, they can’t get enough of my sweet Grandma’s Date Nut Bread and this delicious, comforting Cottage Cheese Lasagna.
My Grandmother was about the furthest thing from Italian- her family is a very stereotypically large Irish Catholic family with some ancestry possibly extending back to Germany- which isn’t exactly a background you would equate to killer lasagnas. But man, her lasagnas were the absolute best! Tons of cheese and delicious layers of meat and vegetables- they were amazing.
I’ve been making lasagna (with cottage cheese) my whole life- which initially horrified my husband. I’ve turned him into a convert though- he really loves both ways now- but my kids are the ones who really flip for this lasagna. Even my picky son, who we battle with at almost every meal, shouts “yessss!! woo! ITS LASAGNA TIME!!!! oh yea, oh yea! “. So cute! And even more special that my son loves my grandma’s recipe.
- 1 lb italian sausage
- 1 lasagna noodles, package bake-ready
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, finely diced
- 1 eggplant, skinned and diced small
- 2 bell peppers, diced (optional)
- 1 large jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 large package mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a heavy pan, brown 1 lb italian sausage
- Add diced vegetables to pan and brown.
- Add sauce when vegetables and sausage has browned.
- Layer noodles, sauce/veggie/meat mix, cottage cheese and mozzarella in casserole dish.
- Layer four more times- and top with a final layer of noodles, sauce, and mozzarella.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes covered with foil, until sauce starts bubbling.
- Uncover and keep cooking until cheese is golden brown- about 30-40 minutes.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 238 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 42mg Sodium: 500mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 12g