Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe
Nov 25, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe – Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe – creamy, rich baked spaghetti casserole with leftover turkey, peas, and lots of shredded cheese!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
This casserole is the BEST way to use up turkey from Thanksgiving – it is creamy, rich, delicious and cheesy – who can ask for more?
We’re making this dish with simple, everyday ingredients that you already have on hand.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
How To Make Turkey Tetrazzini
Turkey tetrazzini is a delicious, easy casserole – first you need to brown your onions and make a roux, then quickly make a sauce to bake with spaghetti and turkey!
- Onions: They are the foundation of flavor, adding a sweet and earthy depth. Onions become more mellow and sweeter as they cook, infusing the dish with a savory base note.
- Flour: This is used to make the roux, which is essential for thickening the sauce. It helps create a creamy consistency in the Tetrazzini.
- Butter: Used alongside flour for the roux, butter adds richness and depth to the sauce. It also provides a velvety texture.
- Cream and Milk: These dairy components add creaminess to the Tetrazzini. Cream contributes to the rich and luxurious texture of the sauce, while milk balances it out without making it too heavy.
- Turkey: The star of the dish, leftover turkey adds protein and makes the dish hearty. It also brings a subtle, savory flavor that pairs well with the creamy sauce.
- Peas: These add a pop of color and a sweet, slightly earthy flavor. Peas also provide a nice textural contrast in the dish.
- Noodles: Typically, spaghetti or similar noodles are used. They act as a carrier for the sauce and other ingredients, absorbing flavors and adding substance to the dish.
- Stock (Chicken or Turkey): This liquid adds more depth and richness to the sauce. It complements the turkey and brings all the elements of the dish together with its savory flavor.
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 casserole dish well, set aside. In a large pot with boiling water, boil pasta to al dente. You want it to be pliable, but still very crunchy. Drain pasta water when al dente, and add pasta to greased baking dish.
- Make sauce. In large nonstick pan, melt butter. Add onions, sauté until light brown, about five minutes. Add flour, and stir, cooking until fragrant and light brown, another five minutes, to create a roux. Stir in cream cheese, stock, herbs, and melt cream cheese. Stir to thicken, then remove from heat.
- Assemble casserole. Add turkey and peas to noodles. Pour soup and cream cheese over noodles. Top with shredded cheese and grated parmesan.
- Bake. Bake 35-40 minutes, until top is browned and casserole is bubbling hot.
- Let cool. Serve and enjoy!
Tips To Perfect Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini and FAQs
This casserole is delicious when made according to directions, but there are a couple tips and tricks to make it even better!
Cook pasta al dente. Don’t overcook spaghetti before baking casserole – it will turn your meal to mush!
Melt cream cheese. Let your cream cheese melt into the soup and sauce before stirring into casserole.
Don’t worry about lumps. If your sauce is lumpy, don’t fret – it will bake to smooth.
Shred the Turkey: Shred or cut the leftover turkey into bite-sized pieces. This helps the turkey distribute more evenly throughout the dish and absorb the flavors of the sauce.
Pasta Choice: Use spaghetti or any long pasta. Cook it al dente as it will continue to cook in the oven.
Creamy Sauce: Make a rich and creamy sauce using butter, flour, and broth (turkey or chicken broth works well). You can also add a bit of leftover gravy for extra flavor.
Add Dairy Gradually: Add milk or cream slowly to the roux (butter and flour mixture) to prevent lumps. Stir continuously for a smooth texture.
Cheese Matters: Use a good quality Parmesan or a blend of cheeses like cheddar or mozzarella for a gooey, cheesy texture.
Sauté Vegetables: If adding vegetables like mushrooms, onions, or peas, sauté them first to bring out their flavors.
Season Well: Don’t forget to season your sauce with salt, pepper, and perhaps a bit of garlic powder or nutmeg to enhance the flavors.
Breadcrumb Topping: For a crunchy topping, mix breadcrumbs with a bit of melted butter and sprinkle over the top before baking.
Don’t Overbake: Bake just until the dish is bubbly and the topping is golden brown to avoid drying it out.
Add Freshness: After baking, garnish with fresh parsley or thyme for a pop of color and freshness.
Leftover Pasta: If you have leftover cooked pasta, use it and reduce the baking time since the pasta is already cooked.
Rest Before Serving: Let the Tetrazzini rest for a few minutes after taking it out of the oven. This helps it set and makes it easier to serve.
Turkey tetrazzini is done cooking when the top and sides have browned and it is hot and bubbly.
Turkey tetrazzini can be stored up to four days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Yes, I would recommend you add about 1/2 cup of extra stock to your sauce and cover tightly when freezing. Let it defrost before you bake it. It will take longer to bake since it is starting off cold. The texture may also be affected, particularly of the noodles.
Typically, it bakes for about 25-30 minutes at 375°F (190°C), or until bubbly and golden.
Absolutely. Chicken is a great substitute and works just as well.
Yes, mushrooms, peas, and onions are common additions. Feel free to include your favorites.
Parmesan is a classic choice, but you can also use mozzarella, cheddar, or a mix for different flavors and textures.
Yes, you can assemble it and refrigerate overnight. You might need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time if it’s going straight from the fridge to the oven.
Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through. If using the oven, cover with foil to prevent drying out.
What To Serve With Turkey Tetrazzini
We love to serve this recipe with Roasted Garlic Parmesan Asparagus, The Best Keto Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, Garlic Chinese Style Green Beans, The Best French Onion Soup Ever, Crispy Roasted Potatoes.
For more easy side dishes, visit our side dish index – The Best Easy Side Dishes.
Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 4 oz butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound leftover cooked turkey , chopped or shredded
- 1 pound spaghetti (I prefer using egg noodle spaghetti)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley , for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 casserole dish well, set aside.
- In a large pot with boiling water, boil pasta to al dente. You want it to be pliable, but still very crunchy.
- Drain pasta water when al dente, and add pasta to greased baking dish.
- In large nonstick pan, melt butter.
- Add onions, sauté until light brown, about five minutes.
- Add flour, and stir, cooking until fragrant and light brown, another five minutes, to create a roux.
- Stir in cream cheese, milk, cream, cream of chicken soup, stock, herbs, and melt cream cheese.
- Stir to thicken, then remove from heat.
- Add turkey and peas to noodles.
- Pour soup and cream cheese mixture over noodles. Top with shredded cheese and grated parmesan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until top is browned and casserole is bubbling hot.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 590Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 154mgSodium 1208mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 33g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.