Delicious and creamy chicken tetrazzini with peas and parmesan. It’s perfect for a cozy night in, and will definitely leave you feeling satisfied. Plus, it’s pretty easy to make, so you won’t have to spend hours in the kitchen.
Here at Sweet C’s we know we have lots of types of readers – some who want lots of information about the recipes they are making, some who want just certain tips, and some who want to get straight to the recipe. While our posts are longer and broken up into many sections, we do this to provide you with enough information to feel empowered to make a great dish every time you step in the kitchen, no matter your comfort level cooking.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Creamy Baked Chicken Noodle Casserole
this dish is a creamy, hearty, and crazy easy dinner that uses rotisserie chicken and cream of chicken soup to cut the prep time – so you can get a down-home style dinner, quick.
If you love ultra-comforting, cheesy, rich, and delicious chicken casseroles – this baked tetrazzini is for you!
While Chicken Tettrazini might sound Italian, it is an American dish – named for Italian singer Luisa Tetrazzini, also known as the Florentine Nightingale. Some people trace the dish’s history to San Fransisco, and some people say it was from the Knickerboker Hotel in New York – but either way, it was made for fans of the opera in America, and doesn’t have Italian roots!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do.
How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini
To make this dish, you’ll need:
- Butter – butter brings a rich, hearty flavor, helps to prep the pan to make it nonstick, and adds a perfect fat ratio to our sauce to thicken it.
- Onion – onion adds a vegetal, earthy, and pungent flavor to dishes to add complexity and a bit of heat.
- Flour – flour helps to thicken the sauce and set our casserole.
- Cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup – a can of cream of chicken soup or a can of cream of mushroom soup gives a rich, flavorful, thick, and creamy base to casseroles and helps them set up while saving time.
- Cream cheese – cream cheese brings a tart, sour, rich, and cheesy flavor to tetrazzini that is addictive and irresistible!
- Chicken stock or broth – to bake this dish, we need additional liquid to prevent our noodles from drying out – while you could use water, adding stock provides more rich, salty, addictive flavor.
- Milk – milk provides a slightly sweet, delicious base for our creamy sauce.
- Cream – cream is thick, buttery in flavor, and has the perfect fat content to make this sauce perfect.
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder – garlic powder adds an addictive pungent earthy flavor that rounds out a dish and helps rich, cheesy dishes taste a bit more balanced.
- Frozen peas – frozen peas are a classic addition to chicken tetrazzini.
- Rotisserie chicken, shredded – for this recipe, you’ll need about 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken meat, so we’re using a rotisserie chicken and shredding it. You can also use baked chicken breasts, or any leftover chicken you might have.
- Egg noodle spaghetti – you can use whatever pasta you love, but we love the hearty flavor of egg noodles when making tetrazzini.
- Shredded mozzarella or swiss cheese – shredded cheese takes this casserole over the top – we mix in cheese throughout the pasta and chicken, so you get a ton in every bite.
- Grated Parmesan cheese – grated parmesan cheese acts as a salty, crunchy topping that browns and gives a light crispy bite that is the best part!
- Fresh chopped parsley , for garnish
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we’re going to follow this method:
- Prep & preheat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 casserole dish well, set aside.
- Boil pasta. Boil pasta to very al dente. Pasta should be pliable, but still quite crunchy.
- Make the sauce. Make a roux with butter and flour, then make sauce. Stir in cream cheese, milk, cream, soup, stock, herbs, and melt cream cheese. Stir to thicken, then remove from heat.
- Add chicken and peas. Add shredded rotisserie chicken and peas to noodles.
- Add sauce. Pour soup and cream cheese mixture over noodles. Top with shredded cheese and grated parmesan.
- Bake. Bake 35-40 minutes, until top is browned and casserole is bubbling hot.
- Serve – and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Make Chicken Tetrazzini
Use al dente noodles. If your noodles are cooked over al dente, they may turn to mush when baked.
Bake until hot and bubbly. You’ll know this recipe is done when the sides brown and bubble. The crunch on the top is the best part – let the top brown!
Chicken tetrazzini can be stored up to four days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I love the flavor of egg noodles in tetrazzini, but you can use any pasta you love.
If you have leftover baked chicken you can use it instead of a rotisserie chicken, simply swap it out for 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken meat.
Broccoli, asparagus, bell peppers are all delicious in this recipe in addition to or in place of the frozen peas.
What to Serve With Chicken Tetrazzini
Chicken tettrazini is creamy, hearty, and rich – so it pairs best with a lighter side dish. I like to serve with Texas toast, some deliciously easy garlic knots, a fun and bright dragonfruit salad, or an easy drink like a Pimms Cup cocktail.
Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Creamy hearty baked chicken noodle casserole with peas and tons of parmesan cheese!
- 4 oz butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz butter, melted
- ½ cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 pound shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 pound egg noodle spaghetti
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella or swiss cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley , for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 casserole dish well, set aside.
- In a large pot with boiling water, boil pasta to al dente. You want it to be pliable, but still very crunchy.
- Drain pasta water when al dente, and add pasta to greased baking dish.
- In large nonstick pan, melt butter.
- Add onions, sauté until light brown, about five minutes.
- Add flour, and stir, cooking until fragrant and light brown, another five minutes, to create a roux.
- Stir in cream cheese, milk, cream, soup, stock, herbs, and melt cream cheese.
- Stir to thicken, then remove from heat.
- Add shredded rotisserie chicken and peas to noodles.
- Pour soup and cream cheese mixture over noodles. Top with shredded cheese and grated parmesan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until top is browned and casserole is bubbling hot.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Amount Per Serving Calories 534Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 151mgSodium 899mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 23g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.