Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe - easy sticky sweet sesame chicken like takeout, made fresh from home.
This sesame chicken is sweet and sticky, light and tender, with a great crispy batter the whole family will love.
If you like sweeter, chicken breast versions of sesame chicken from places like Panda Express, you're going to love this quick and easy sesame chicken dinner!
Be sure to check out our Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken Copycat Recipe, and our too for a from-scratch takeout style dinner at home.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
A note on authenticity: This recipe isn't authentic as far as actual Chinese food is concerned - the sticky, sweet, breaded chicken is more of an Americanized concept (especially as we're making it here with chicken breast and honey in the sauce, more like you'd find at Panda Express than an authentic Chinese restaurant). Authentic Chinese food is rich, delicious, and full of color, vegetables, spices, and amazing flavor. This dish is a from-scratch at home way to make the popular American-style takeout dish, and not a replacement for authentic Chinese food!
Here at Sweet C's, we have lots of types of readers - those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
What Chicken To Use For Sesame Chicken
Traditionally, sesame chicken is made with chicken thighs.
For this recipe, we're using chicken tender strip meat - pre-sliced into long, thin tenders and then cut into chunks, as the prepared chicken breasts save time so you can get dinner on the table fast!
For a more traditional take on sesame chicken, you can swap out chicken thighs for this recipe.
Remove bones and skin, and cut chicken thighs into 1-2" chunks, then continue with recipe as we have outlined below.
How To Make Sesame Chicken
To make Sesame Chicken, you'll first dip chicken in an egg mixture, cornstarch and breading, and cook to golden brown on high heat.
You'll then make a delicious sticky-sweet sauce in a bowl, whisk it vigorously, and coat the chicken in it.
When is Sesame Chicken Fully Cooked
Chicken breasts and thighs are filly cooked at 165 degrees F internal temperature.
Sesame Chicken Sauce With Honey
Sesame chicken can have an artificial, sickly sweet flavor from store-bought sauces, but we really love this recipe for it's subtle sweetness thanks to the addition of honey.
We love this sticky sweet sauce that comes together quickly so you can coat it over the chicken - it's delicious over broccoli, fish, shrimp, and asparagus, too!
We add cornstarch to thicken the sauce a bit - but if you'd like a thinner sauce you can omit the corn starch.
What To Serve With Sesame Chicken
We love serving this sesame chicken with our Chinese style green beans and rice - but we're sharing some of our other favorite easy side dishes below:
You can find our entire side dish recipe archives here.
Other Easy Chicken Recipes You'll Love
If you love this easy sesame chicken recipe, be sure to check out our other delicious easy favorites made with chicken breasts:
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Huli Huli Chicken Kabobs
- Slow Cooker Olive Chicken Recipe
- Keto Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip
- The Best Easy Baked Garlic Lemon Chicken Breasts Recipe
- The Best Air Fried Chicken Breasts Recipe
- The Best Easy Baked Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Easy Bacon Chicken Ranch Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Sesame chicken lasts four days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Sesame chicken sauce lasts five days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Chicken is cooked when it reaches 165 degrees internal temperature.
Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
- For the chicken:
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder
- 2 pounds of chicken tender strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon of ginger paste or finely minced ginger
- ¼ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- Heat a deep cast iron pan over medium heat with 1 inch of oil to about 265 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the meantime, whisk the flour, water, egg, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, ginger powder and paprika together in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken to the batter and once the oil is hot, lightly drain 6-8 pieces from the batter and fry in the oil for 3-4 minutes or until light and golden.
- Drain the chicken from the oil on a plate with a paper towel and repeat the cooking process with the remaining chicken.
- To make the sauce, heat the sesame oil in a saucepan over medium heat - then add the ginger and cool for 30 seconds then add the remaining sauce ingredients and stir and cook until the sauce becomes thick, about 5 minutes.
- Lay the chicken out on a cooling rack and brush the sauce overtop.
- Garnish with freshly chopped green onions and sesame seeds then serve.
This chicken can be stored without the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat the chicken in a 365-degree oven for 5 minutes or until light and crispy.
The sauce can be stored separately in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving Calories 687Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 101mgSodium 2066mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 2gSugar 16gProtein 33g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.