The super simple delicious garlic herb green bean recipe is a go to any night of the week. This mouthwatering side dish only has 5 ingredients and cooks quick and clean on your stovetop.
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Crispy Garlic and Herb Infused Green Beans
In the early summer my garden is heavy with green beans. I think bush beans like to be picked since they are always so prolific in spite of my kids and the deer sharing the harvest with me. My kids will eat them raw but I like to cook them on the stovetop so that the outside softens but they retain a bite in the center.
Green beans make a great side dish since they are so diverse and can be paired with almost anything. These are made even richer by the addition of garlic and herbs which help elevate this simple side and create something memorable.
How To Make Garlic and Herb Green Beans
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Oil - I prefer to use olive oil but you can use any oil for this recipe. See tip 2 below for other options.
- Green beans - whether you use French green beans, string beans, or snap beans, the most important thing is that you get fresh green beans if you want to have that great green bean flavor. The brighter in color they are, the fresher they are.
- Garlic - you want to press your garlic with the side of your knife before dicing it to release the strong garlic flavor, make sure the garlic is fresh.
- Italian Seasoning - italian seasoning is a mix of basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, rosemary, and sage. If you don't have the blended “Italian Seasoning” you can use a mixture of whatever of the above ingredients you have.
- Salt - this is a must have for any recipe. Use small grain sea salt for optimal flavor and even distribution in this dish.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Prep- Put a large nonstick skillet on the stove over medium heat. Put the oil in the pan and wait for it to warm up. You always let the oil come to medium heat so the green beans don't get oily while waiting for the heat to cook them.
- Sear & steam - Add the garlic, green beans, Italian seasoning, and salt and stir everything in the skillet to combine well. Cover the skillet with the lid to trap the heat and turn the temperature on the stove down to prevent the green beans from burning. Let them cook in the steam for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Test for doneness - The green beans will be done when the outside is soft but they still have a snap when bit. I use a fork to test for doneness, they should have just a little resistance before cutting in half.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Garlic and Herb Green Beans:
This recipe is very straightforward but here are some tips to help you elevate it.
Crisp up at the end. If you want the green beans to be slightly crispy you can remove the lid about halfway into cooking and let the moisture escape into the air and continue to cook the beans at a higher temperature for a few more minutes until they are as crispy as you like.
Oil substitutes or omission. You can substitute the oil with butter or margarine for a saltier richer taste or you can skip the oil and add ½ cup of water or broth to the skillet and let them cook in that.
Use frozen green beans. If you want to use frozen green beans then make sure you thaw them on the countertop for at least 30 minutes.
How to trim green beans. To trim the fresh green beans, clip the edges off with kitchen shears, or you may need to de-string the bean. To remove the string, snap each end off and grab the string and pull it off. If the beans are super long, you can break them in half to make eating easier.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Yes, in place of Italian seasoning you can add garam masala, taco seasoning or any other spice mix of your choice.
What to Serve With Garlic and Herb Green Beans
If you like these garlic herb green beans you will love Garlic Chinese Style Green Beans Garlic Chinese Style Green Beans - Sweet Cs Designs Best Air Fried Mushrooms The Best Air Fried Mushrooms Recipe - Sweet Cs Designs 10 Minute Broccolini 10 Minute Broccolini (sweetcsdesigns.com) Air Fryer Tri Tip Steak Air Fryer Tri Tip Steak Recipe - Sweet Cs Designs The Best Easy Baked Chicken Thighs The Best Easy Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe - Sweet Cs Designs Crunchy Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Crunchy Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks - Sweet Cs Designs
Garlic and Herb Green Beans Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Fresh, crispy green beans sautéed with garlic and herbs.
- ¼ cup oil, (vegetable, olive or avocado)
- 1 pound fresh Green Beans, washed and trimmed*
- 4 small cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Over medium heat, in a nonstick skillet, heat the oil; add the green beans, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt. Stir to combine well.
- Cover the green beans with a lid and bring the temperature down to low. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 0mgSodium 542mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 2g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.