This herbed feta baked chickpea skillet with pepperoncini peppers is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that's perfect for a quick and healthy dinner.
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Spicy and Tangy Herbed Baked Chickpeas with Feta
This herbed chickpea and feta skillet with pepperoncini and red peppers is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that's perfect for a quick and healthy dinner. The combination of chickpeas, peppers, and feta cheese creates a savory and slightly tangy flavor that's sure to impress. This skillet is perfect for serving as a main dish or as a side, and it pairs well with crusty bread or a simple salad. Enjoy!
This skillet is hearty and healthy, made with chickpeas, peppers, and a blend of herbs and spices, this skillet has a savory and slightly tangy flavor that's sure to impress.
Baked chickpeas are a simple and healthy dish - and can be made in well under an hour. This skillet is perfect for serving as a main dish or as a side, and it pairs well with crusty bread or a simple salad.
Try this flavorful and satisfying herbed feta baked chickpea skillet with pepperoncini peppers for a delicious and nutritious meal today!
How to Make Herb Baked Feta Skillet
To make this recipe, you'll need:
Chickpeas: The chickpeas bring a nutty and slightly crunchy texture to the dish, as well as a mild and earthy flavor that complements the other ingredients.
Red peppers: The red peppers bring a sweet and slightly smoky flavor to the dish, as well as some bright and vibrant color.
Pepperoncini peppers: The pepperoncini peppers bring a slightly tangy and spicy flavor to the dish, as well as some texture and crunch.
Feta cheese: The feta cheese brings a creamy and salty flavor to the dish, as well as some crumbly texture that adds a nice contrast.
Olive oil: The olive oil helps to coat the chickpeas and peppers, and brings some richness and depth of flavor to the dish.
Garlic: The garlic brings a pungent and slightly sweet flavor to the dish, as well as some savory notes.
Onion: cooked onion gives this skillet a natural sweetness.
Oregano: The oregano brings a bright and zesty flavor to the dish, as well as some herbal and floral notes.
Thyme: The thyme brings a slightly earthy and minty flavor to the dish, as well as some depth and complexity.
Salt and pepper: Salt and pepper help to balance and enhance the flavors of the dish, and bring some seasoning and depth to the overall taste.
Once you've gathered your ingredients, you'll use the following process:
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Toast chickpeas. Add the chickpeas to the skillet and stir to coat them in the oil and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the chickpeas are slightly toasted and golden. Add the chopped red peppers and pepperoncini peppers to the skillet and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the peppers are slightly tender and the chickpeas are fully cooked. Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese over the top. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes until the cheese is slightly melted.
- Serve! Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle the chopped oregano and thyme over the top. Serve hot with crusty bread or a simple green salad.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Baked Herbed Chickpea Skillet:
Use canned chickpeas: Canned chickpeas are quick and easy to use, and they work well in this recipe. Be sure to rinse and drain the chickpeas before using them.
Toast the chickpeas: Toasting the chickpeas in the skillet before baking them helps to bring out their nutty and slightly crunchy texture.
Use fresh herbs: Fresh herbs like oregano and thyme add a bright and zesty flavor to the skillet. Be sure to chop the herbs finely before using them.
Add the feta cheese at the right time: Feta cheese can melt quickly and become too soft if added too soon. Be sure to add the feta cheese during the last few minutes of baking to ensure that it stays crumbly and adds a nice contrast of texture to the dish.
Adjust the level of spiciness: If you prefer a milder dish, you can use fewer pepperoncini peppers, or remove the seeds from the peppers before using them. If you prefer a spicier dish, you can add more peppers or use a spicier variety.
Serve with crusty bread: A slice of crusty bread is perfect for soaking up the flavorful sauce and adding some texture to the dish.
Yes, you can use dried chickpeas, but keep in mind that they will need to be soaked and cooked beforehand.
Yes, you can use a different type of cheese, such as goat cheese or Parmesan, but keep in mind that it may affect the overall flavor of the skillet.
Yes, you can prepare the skillet ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to two days. When ready to serve, simply reheat it in the oven until warmed through.
Yes, you can freeze the skillet for up to three months. Be sure to store it in an airtight container and allow it to cool completely before freezing.
Yes, you can add other vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or onions to the skillet, but keep in mind that it may affect the cooking time and the overall flavor of the dish.
Yes, you can use fresh pepperoncini peppers, but be sure to remove the seeds and stems before using them.
What to Serve With Herbed Chickpea with Feta Skillet
Crusty bread: Serve some crusty bread like our No Knead Bread alongside the skillet to mop up the flavorful sauce and add some texture to the meal.
Salad: A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette like our Salade de Chèvre Chaud pairs well with the rich and savory flavors of the skillet.
Grilled vegetables: Grilled vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers can add some smoky and slightly charred flavors to the meal.
Rice: A side of rice, like our Wild Rice Pilaf, is a great option for soaking up the delicious sauce and adding some bulk to the meal.
Roasted potatoes: Roasted potatoes seasoned with garlic and herbs complement the flavors of the skillet and add some texture and heartiness to the meal.
Hummus and pita: Serve some hummus and pita bread alongside the skillet for a Middle Eastern-inspired meal.
Tzatziki: A side of tzatziki, a Greek yogurt dip flavored with garlic and cucumber, adds some cool and refreshing flavors to the meal.
For some of our recent favorite salad recipes, check below:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad Recipe
- Chickpea Pomegranate Salad
- Kale Apple Salad
- Easy Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
- Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Salmon Ceasar Salad
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Israeli Salad
Herbed Chickpea with Feta Skillet
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Click here to view the web story for this recipe!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Herbed Feta Baked Chickpea Skillet
This herbed chickpea and feta skillet with pepperoncini and red peppers is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that's perfect for a quick and healthy dinner.
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- ½ cup of pepperoncini peppers, sliced
- ½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas to the skillet and stir to coat them in the oil and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the chickpeas are slightly toasted and golden.
- Add the chopped red peppers and pepperoncini peppers to the skillet and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the peppers are slightly tender and the chickpeas are fully cooked.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese over the top. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes until the cheese is slightly melted.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle the chopped oregano and thyme over the top. Serve hot with crusty bread or a simple green salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
California Olive Ranch, Global Blend Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1L
KITLAB Oil Dispenser Bottle, 17oz Olive Oil Dispenser Oil Sprayer, Clear Glass Refillable Oil and Vinegar Dispenser Bottle with Measuring Scale Pump for Kitchen, Cooking, Salads, Baking Frying, BBQ
Hiware Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board for Kitchen, Heavy Duty Wood Cutting Boards with Juice Groove, 100% Organic Bamboo, Pre Oiled, 18" x 12"
WÜSTHOF Classic 6” Chef’s Knife
Spurtles Kitchen Tools As Seen On TV, 7Pcs Wooden Spurtle Set Spatula Set, Natural Premium Acacia Wooden Spoons for Cooking Heat Resistant Cooking Utensil for Nonstick Cookware, Salad, Mixing, Serving
GreenPan Reserve Hard Anodized Healthy Ceramic Nonstick 10 Piece Cookware Pots and Pans Set, Gold Handle, PFAS-Free, Dishwasher Safe, Oven Safe, Black
Amount Per Serving Calories 335Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 17mgSodium 453mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 8gSugar 8gProtein 11g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Leave a Reply