Crispy, crunchy outside with a light and fluffy inside - garlic butter roasted potatoes are a decadent side dish that are deceptively easy to make but taste indulgent alongside hearty dinners.
Our method will how you just how easy roasting baby potatoes like fingerling, baby yukon gold, or baby dutch potatoes in a delicious garlic butter sauce that is loaded with flavor is - you'll crave this side dish again and again!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Garlic Roasted Baby Potatoes
Delicious roasted potatoes loaded with garlic and herb butter flavor are one of the most delectable and delicious side dishes for everyday dinner, or your next big holiday meal! We love serving roasted potatoes with Ribeye Roast, Air Fried Chicken Drumsticks, Baked Pork Tenderloin, Smoked Ribs, and more!
This recipe was inspired by our one pot pork loin and potatoes recipe - adapted as a tasty side dish without the pork loin, and with potatoes that are crispier on the outside and fluffy on the inside. These baby yukon gold or dutch potatoes are perfect alongside chicken thighs or pork chops - but are fancy enough for Christmas dinner with ham, turkey, or prime rib.
We hope you love this easy side dish as much as we do!
How to Roast Garlic Butter Potatoes
To make garlic butter roasted potatoes, you'll need:
- Celtic sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Since we're using few ingredients, it is critical to use fresh cracked pepper and high quality sea salt or Himalayan salt that packs a flavorful punch.
- Butter. Butter is a critical fat to help potatoes crisp and brown - it allows herbs to bind and stick to potatoes, and helps the potatoes to crisp and brown, adding to the crunchy, crisp texture. To make this recipe vegan, swap with olive oil.
- Garlic. Garlic has a pungent, addictive flavor that highlights the starchy, classic potato flavor.
- *OR Italian Herb Seasoning Blend
- Yukon gold potatoes. Yukon gold potatoes bake well and crisp beautifully, with a puffy center and crispy outside that is irresistible.
- Onion. Onion helps to flavor the potatoes, and helps to enhance the starchy potato flavor.
Once you've gathered the ingredients you'll need, we will follow this method:
- Prep. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet or roasting pan with parchment paper or prepare with cooking spray.Melt butter in pan and combine onion, herbs and garlic - heat 30 seconds and remove from heat. Wash potatoes well and cut in half, and pat dry. Arrange in baking sheet or roasting pan so potatoes aren't touching too much. Drizzle butter, onion, and herbs mixture over potatoes. Toss potatoes lightly to coat in herb butter.
- Bake. Roast 20-30 minutes, checking temperature after 20 minutes. When potatoes are slightly browned outside and are soft to the touch, they are done.
- Crisp more. To crisp before serving, pop under broiler for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through (optional).
- Serve. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Roasted Potatoes
Roasting potatoes is a simple and delicious way to prepare potatoes involving high temperature, dry heat. Roasting potatoes in the oven gives a slightly crispy outside and light, fluffy inside - making them the perfect side for any meal. We're taking these potatoes to the next level by tossing them in a garlic butter with tons of herb and onion flavor.
Tools you'll need. To make this recipe, you'll need a large roasting pan (without the rack) or baking sheet to spread the potatoes out on.
Cut in half. We made this recipe using yukon gold and red potatoes, cut in half - but you can use other types of potatoes using our tips below.
Know your potato. You can use lots of types of potatoes with this recipe - using our tips below:
- Fingerling potatoes. Wash fingerling potatoes well, and pat dry. You can leave whole or cut in half.
- Russet potatoes. Use 2 russet potatoes. Wash russet potatoes well and pat dry. Cut into 2" chunks.
- Blue potatoes. Use 10-15 small blue potatoes. Wash well and pat dry, and cut into 2" chunks.
Soak potatoes. While we're not calling for soaking potatoes in this recipe, because we're going for a softer potato side dish, you can get crispier, crunchier roasted potatoes by soaking in cold water for 1 hour before roasting. Be sure to rinse well after (to remove the starches that soak out) and pat dry thoroughly before roasting.
Potatoes are done when they are soft to the touch, not based entirely on time. Lightly press potato with a fork - if it gives, it is done.
You can crisp potatoes once cooked by popping under the broiler for 5 minutes. Stir partway through, and watch to be sure potatoes don't burn under the broiler.
If you don't like onions, you can increase garlic, use diced shallots, or skip onion entirely.
Other Potato Dishes You'll Love
When you're making a delicious holiday dinner or sunday supper, it's so important to make delicious, easy sides that are comforting your family and guests.
I love potato dishes - they are so easy and everyone loves them!
- The Best Easy Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
- Lemon Garlic Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
- The Best Homemade French Fries (flash-fry method)
- Maple Dijon Chicken and Potatoes Skillet Recipe
- Blue Cheese Steak Bites and Potatoes Skillet Dinner Recipe
- Perfect Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
You can also visit our side dish archives here.
Garlic Butter Roasted Potatoes Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Garlic Butter Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Garlic Butter Roasted Potatoes Recipe -delicious roasted potatoes tossed in garlic butter and roasted to perfection!
- 1 tablespoon celtic sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 4 tablespoon butter, sliced into 4-6 pats
- 2 tablespoon diced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme*
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley*
- ½ teaspoon dried sage*
- *OR 2 tablespoon Italian Herb Seasoning Blend
- 1 lb red and yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line baking sheet or roasting pan with parchment paper or prepare withh cooking spray.
- Melt butter in pan and combine onion, herbs and garlic - heat 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Wash potatoes well and cut in half. Pat dry.
- Arrange in baking sheet or roasting pan so potatoes aren't touching too much.
- Drizzle butter, onion, and herbs mixture over potatoes.
- Toss potatoes lightly to coat in herb butter.
- Roast 20-30 minutes, checking temperature after 20 minutes.
- When potatoes are slightly browned outside and are soft to the touch, they are done.
- To crisp before serving, pop under broiler for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Reynolds Wrap Heavy Duty Non-Stick Aluminum Foil - 95 Square Feet
Silicone Non-Slip Oven Mitts and Pot Holders 4pcs Sets, Extra Long Flexible Oven Gloves Oven Mittens Heat Resistant, Kitchen Counter Safe Trivet Mats - Grey
Spurtles Kitchen Tools As Seen On TV, 7Pcs Wooden Spurtle Set Spatula Set, Natural Premium Acacia Wooden Spoons for Cooking Heat Resistant Cooking Utensil for Nonstick Cookware, Salad, Mixing, Serving
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Set of 2, Aluminized Steel
Amount Per Serving Calories 245Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 31mgSodium 1947mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
You can find our web story for this post here.
This looks amazing, will have this on our dinner table tomorrow. Thanks for sharing
The Garlic Butter Roasted Potatoes Recipe was very tasty. I made it today for supper. Thanks for the receipt!