Skillet Chicken with Mushroom and Onion Sauce– a quick and easy one pot skillet dinner perfect for busy weeknights when you crave something fresh and comforting.
There are busy weeknights when I can’t seem to pull together a well-planned out meal and I find myself staring at a fridge, trying to cobble something together with the ingredients on hand. One evening, my husband and I had a random craving for Chicken Marsala- only to realize we didn’t have any marsala. Or wine (which in this house is really a rare occurrence, but I digress.) We had all the other parts to make a delicious chicken dish though- and decided to wing it, and come up with our own new recipe.
This delicious, easy Skillet Chicken with Mushroom and Onion Sauce recipe is what I came up with- and my husband and I both agreed we might actually like it even more than our go-to chicken marsala recipe!
This dinner takes only one pot- so it’s easy to clean up, and easy to make. There is minimal work- just a little stirring, and watching that it doesn’t burn or stick- and it is a great way to use up ingredients you have sitting around before they go off. We seem to always have some mushrooms and chicken in the fridge, so this was a no-brainer!
This dish is easy enough for busy weeknights, but also makes for an impressive dinner party main. Simply double (or triple) the dish to make as much as you need! If you’re making a bigger batch, the only thing to change up in the cooking method is to be sure you don’t overcrowd the pan so the chicken can get a great sear. Simply brown the chicken in batches- but once the chicken is browned, it can all cook in the same pot.
I hope you love this as much as we did!
- 2 tbsp olive oil , or ghee
- 1 lb chicken , breasts
- 1 onion
- 12-15 cremini mushrooms, or 12oz any mushrooms you have on hand
- 1 cup chicken stock , or wine
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 2-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a heavy skillet, heat ghee or olive oil on medium until shimmery.
- Add chicken to skillet and brown (we're just getting a nice sear here- not cook the chicken through).
- Remove chicken, set aside on a plate with a paper towel.
- Add onion to pan, cook until slightly browned.
- Add mushrooms to pan and continue cooking until they are slightly browned.
- Add garlic, thyme, stir to incorporate.
- Add chicken stock and add chicken back to pan.
- Cook, uncovered, until sauce has thickened and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 175 degrees.
- Remove from stove and let the chicken rest and carryover cook to 180 degrees, about 5 minutes.
- Plate and serve!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 293 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 71mg Sodium: 178mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 32g