Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are the most delicious easy mashed potatoes you have ever made! They cook right in your slow cooker to save space on busy Holiday dinners!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Simple Easy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
One of the hardest things to manage on Thanksgiving or other food-centric holidays is finding room on your stovetop to make everything. The kitchen is crowded, hot and crazy- but it doesn't need to be.Using your slow cooker, you can make these Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes without using up any precious stovetop space!
This slow cooker mashed potato recipe is fabulous because you can cook, mash, keep warm and serve straight out of your crockpot. These also create less dirty dishes and leave plenty of space for you to prep your other holiday favorites. Its a win-win-win.
How to make Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
First you want to assemble the following ingredients:
- Red potatoes - I halve these but leave the peel on. One reason I love red potatoes is that they don't need to be peeled which makes this recipe ever more simple. They also have a really creamy texture.
- Water - you need water to cook the potatoes in to soften them. For super rich mashed potatoes you can use half milk half water to soak the potatoes.
- Sea Salt - salt will bring the flavor of the potatoes forward so don't be shy. If you oversalt just add some more heavy cream to balance it out.
- Pepper - I like to use fresh ground pepper for a hit of heat.
- Heavy cream or Greek Yogurt - you want to use these to add a rich creaminess to the potatoes. If you use greek yogurt you will get thicker potatoes than heavy cream.
- Butter - use salted butter to add some fat to the potatoes that will make them smooth and creamy.
- Milk - you will need to use milk as necessary to thin the potatoes to get the texture you want.
- Garlic - you want a hit of this pungent spice. You can get that through using garlic powder or fresh garlic that has been sauteed in butter, I prefer the latter.
Once you have assembled the ingredients use the following method
Cook potatoes. Add the potatoes and water to the slow cooker and cook on high for about 2 hours or until they are soft to the touch. If you have a lot of water leftover drain it, leaving about ½ cup. Mash the potatoes or use a potato ricer for a smoother result.
Add the dairy. Stir in the heavy cream, butter, garlic, and milk to thin. Add the salt and pepper tasting while adding till you get the flavor you are looking for.
Keep warm. Keep the potatoes warm on low for up to 2 hours or until you are ready to serve. Adjust the consistency with milk as needed and stir occasionally.
Tips and Tricks for perfect Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
This recipe was my favorite after testing out other crockpot methods.
Use a liner. I like to use a liner when making these potatoes in the slow cooker. It makes cleanup super easy.
Try one of these variations
- Stir in heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and chives for a rich and cheesy mashed potato side nobody will be able to resist.
- Roasted garlic, rosemary, and sea salt give a lovely earthy kick to mashed potatoes.
- Bacon and cheddar stirred into mashed potatoes are absolutely heavenly!
- Horseradish and a dash of Worcestershire sauce give mashed potatoes a zesty kick.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze some leftovers, see below.
Yes! I freeze leftover potatoes in a gallon size bag. Don't forget to label them with the date and lay them flat in the freezer so they don't get frozen around something else. Reheat in a pot on the stovetop stirring continuously.
Yes, if you want to use Russet though be sure to peel them before adding them to the slow cooker.
Other Delicious Holiday Dishes You'll Love:
If you love this easy slow cooker mashed potatoes recipe, check out some of my other holiday dinner favorites including these favorite sides:
You might also love, Brown Bag Herb Roasted Turkey, Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts with Ghee, Pan Roasted Butter Carrots, Garlic Chinese Style Green Beans, The Best Oven Roasted Garlic Parmesan Asparagus, Slow Cooker Turkey in Gravy, Slow Cooker Orange Cranberry Ginger Glazed Ham, Khachapuri Georgian Cheese Bread, Easy No Knead Bread and Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes.
And finally, to clear up even more space in your kitchen, check out my Smoked Turkey and take it outside. It is the best way to make turkey, ever. It stays super moist and juicy and the smoked flavor is a fantastic twist on traditional turkey.
Click here to see all my mouthwatering slow cooker recipes!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Recipe
If you love this slow cooker mashed potato recipe as much as I do, please give it a five star review and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds red potatoes, halved (I leave the peel on, but feel free to remove if you prefer)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup tablespoon heavy cream or Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder or 5 garlic cloves diced and sauteed
- In crockpot, add 2 cups of water and potatoes.
- Cook on high for 1-2 hours or until potatoes are very soft to touch.
- Water should be almost evaporated, and potatoes will mash when gently touched. If you have a lot of water leftover, drain it off. If you have under ½ cup, go ahead and leave it. This will help keep your potatoes from over drying while waiting for dinner to be done- so you can make them ahead of time. For perfectly creamy potatoes use a potato ricer to cream the potatoes.
- Add cream, butter, garlic and mash well using hand mixer or mashing utensil, right there in the crockpot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep potatoes on low for up to 2 hours, or until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
KitchenAid Gourmet Stainless Steel Wire Masher, 10.24-Inch, Black
PriorityChef Large 15oz Potato Ricer, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Potato Masher and Ricer Kitchen Tool, Press and Mash Kitchen Gadget For Perfect Mashed Potatoes - Everytime
NEW OXO Good Grips Contoured Mess-Free Salt Grinder
Reynolds Kitchens Slow Cooker Liners, Regular (Fits 3-8 Quarts), 6 Count
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel
Amount Per Serving Calories 228Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 33mgSodium 341mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 6g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Sweet C's Favorites
If you love this recipe, please check out some of our top posts!
These tried and true reader favorites are well loved for their family friendly flavor that everyone loves!
Sweet C's Favorite Recipes
Favorite recipes from Sweet Cs Designs
The Best Ribeye Roast Recipe - easy and delicious boneless ribeye roast with a crunchy crust and tons of juicy ribeye flavor with almost no work - this recipe is perfect for even beginner cooks!
The Best Easy Air Fryer French Fries Recipe - delicious, crispy and crunchy french fries that taste just like your favorite restaurant - but a healthier french fry you can feel good about serving your family.
This is the Best Baked Garlic Pork Tenderloin recipe ever... incredibly easy, delicious, and bursting with Italian garlic butter flavors the whole family loves! An easy pork tenderloin dinner in under an hour - great for meal prep and makes amazing leftovers for a healthy, low carb keto or paleo diet eating plan, too!
One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet– this easy, delicious, veggie packed beef taco skillet meal is quick and great for a budget- as well as a low carb diet! Easy cheesy beef taco skillet dinner that is perfect for burrito bowls, salads, skillet tacos, and more with tons of hidden vegetables that kids will eat!
This 10 Minute Perfect Broiled Lobster Tails Recipe is the quickest, tastiest, and easiest way to cook lobster tails- get perfect oven broiled lobster tails every time! The best of the recipes to lobster tail in the oven for a restaurant style lobster tail dinner in under 10 minutes.
Hearty and extremely delicious, this one pot hamburger cabbage soup is easy to make and always a huge hit! Simple ingredients for a family favorite soup everyone loves!
Easy Baked Pork Chops Recipe - the best easy baked pork chops ever in under 20 minutes with simple ingredients! Your family will beg for these pork chops all the time!
The Best Baked Garlic Pork Chops Recipe Ever is the best oven baked pork chop recipe ever - perfect rich, tender, juicy garlic baked pork chops that are incredibly easy and restaurant quality. With tons of tips for juicy baked pork chops, how to bake pork without drying it out, and how long to bake pork chops for perfectly tender pork!
Lemon Garlic Parmesan Baked Chicken Wings Recipe - delicious easy keto oven baked chicken wings with a rich garlic parmesan flavor and tons of lemon!
Easy, crunchy, delicious Baked Ranch Chicken Thighs are a super simple one pot baked chicken thigh recipe everyone loves - bursting with ranch flavor in only five ingredients! Low carb, mess free, a deliciously crunchy crust, in a huge family favorite that is sure to make anyone a fan of chicken thighs in under 40 minutes!
Any chance to use less stove burners to leave room for the bigger foods to make, I'm all in. Gotta have them taters for the holidays!
This is the perfect slow cooker potato recipe you'll ever find! My family loves this with LOTS of garlic!