The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe- Rich and decadent, this chocolate cake is made from scratch so it’s moist and delicious. Topped with homemade chocolate pudding frosting, this is a chocolate lover's delight!
Here at Sweet C's, we have lots of types of readers - those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Black Magic Chocolate Cake
Made with espresso or black coffee to deepen the rich chocolatey flavor, buttermilk to make it moist and flaky, and topped with a mouse-like chocolate pudding frosting, your taste buds are in for a real treat. If you love chocolate, this is the ultimate chocolate lover’s dessert.
There are plenty of claims out there for the best chocolate cake recipe, but this one had every single person who ate it raving about how it was the best chocolate cake ever! It’s rich, moist, and decadent. There really isn’t another cake quite like this one.
If you’re worried that you aren’t good at baking, don’t be. This recipe is as easy as whipping up a cake from a box. Just use exact ingredients and follow the instructions.
How To Make The Best Chocolate Cake Ever
This moist, decadent chocolate cake pairs perfectly with my homemade chocolate pudding frosting! Get on your baker’s hat and let’s make the best cake you’ve ever had.
- First, preheat your oven to 350?. Then, grease two 9x2 inch round cake pans with butter and flour or cooking spray. Line the bottoms with parchment paper (see tip).
- Next, whisk together your dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs, buttermilk, espresso, oil, and vanilla into the dry ingredients on medium speed for 2-minutes.
- The batter will be thin. Divide it between the two prepared pans.
- Bake both cakes for 40-45 minutes.
- While the cakes are cooking, make your homemade chocolate pudding frosting.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool for at least 10-minutes. Then, transfer them to a cooling rack for 1-hour.
- After the cakes have cooled, place your first cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Then, pipe or spread a thick layer of frosting all over the top of the cake to create the filling layer.
- Place the second cake on top of the first cake. Then, coat the second cake with frosting.
- Give your cake a crumb coat and chill for 30-minutes. Then, add a final coating of frosting.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Chocolate Cake and FAQs:
- For best results, use bake-even strips. You can purchase bake-even strips or you can use this homemade method which I used in the photos since my strips were otherwise engaged.
- Check the cakes with a toothpick. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake, and if it comes out clean, it's done.
- Feel free to replace the frosting with your favorite chocolate frosting recipe.
- You can also skip the frosting layer between the cakes and opt for a chocolate ganache filling.
For this recipe, you will be baking your cakes in the oven. You want the oven to be 350?.
minutes of prep time to prepare your cakes, 45-minutes to cook, and an hour to cool. So, altogether, this recipe will take you about 2 hours and 55 minutes.
Yes, this cake can be made in advance. A fully frosted cake can be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature for 1 day uncut. The frosting will thicken when cold and have more of a firm ganache texture as opposed to its silky soft and whipped texture right after making. If you let the cake sit at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours after removing it from the refrigerator, the frosting will soften up again. Just make sure not to leave it in a really warm area or in direct sunlight.
r for up to 3 days. Or, you can store the cake in the refrigerator for up to a week. Additionally, you can freeze the cake unfrosted. Let them cool completely, and then wrap in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag, squeezing out any excess air. You can freeze the unfrosted cake for up to 3 months.
Absolutely! You can make a 4-layer cake using 6-inch cake pans, divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake each cake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Other Cakes You’ll Love
Baking is a fun way to show your family and friends how much you love them. And, my Easy Chocolate Chinese Five Spice Cake, Easy Caramel Apple Spice Cake, or my Oreo Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Freak Cake are all sure to make everyone feel loved!
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Are you looking for the best chocolate cake ever? You’re in luck because this chocolate cake recipe is perfectly rich, moist, and delicious!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup hot espresso, brewed black coffee, or water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease two 9x2-inch round cake pans with butter and flour or cooking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper. For best results, use bake-even strips.In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat in eggs, buttermilk, espresso, oil, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, the batter is going to be very thin.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared 9-inch pans.
- Bake the cakes for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick comes clean from the center.
- While the cakes are baking, begin preparing your frosting since it will also need to cool for 1 hour.
- Cool the cakes in pans for at least 10 minutes and loosen from the sides of the pans before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- After the cakes have cool and the frosting has been prepared according to the recipe directions, place one of the cake layers on a cake stand or serving plate.
- Pipe or spread a thick layer of the frosting all over the top of the layer to create the filling layer.
- Top with the other cake layer and give it a crumb coat and chill for 30 minutes before adding the final coating of frosting.
Amount Per Serving Calories 244Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 35mgSodium 293mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 1gSugar 26gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.