Looking to take your french bread and olive oil dip routine to another level? The best easy bread dip is bursting with flavor from garlic, basil, thyme, parmesan, and other Italian herbs with olive oil and salt for a rich and delicious bread dip that is savory and satisfying!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Olive Oil and Herb Dip
If you love dipping french bread in olive oil as much as I do, you're going to love this delicious and easy way to enhance the flavor of your olive oil. By adding salt, herbs, and spices - along with some parmesan cheese - we're loading up every bite of bread with a ton of flavor, you won't be able to resist the urge to double-dip!
I love to serve this bread dip on cheese plates, with appetizer spreads, with fresh baked breads and rolls, or with baguettes. It is delicious brushed over toasted baguettes for bruschetta, and even tossed with pasta or salad for an extra burst of flavor!
I hope you love this simple and delicious recipe as much as I do.
How to Make Bread Dip
To make this bread dip, you will need the following ingredients:
- Parmesan cheese - grated parmesan cheese gives a salty, nutty flavor to bread dip that is rich, savory, and delicious.
- Basil - dried basil brings an earthy, light, almost mint and anise-like flavor that is a classic Italian flavor perfect to pair with briny olive oil.
- Thyme - thyme's pungeant earthy flavor is delicious and almost lemon and peppery.
- Rosemary - rosemary has an addictive, seductive aroma and a lemon-pine flavor that is perfect to cut through the fat of olive oil and nutty salty parmesan cheese.
- Oregano - oregano's lightly bitter flavor is a nice balance to the earthy, pungeant and citrussy Italian herbs and salty cheese.
- Marjoram - marjoram is often called the "sausage herb" and has a delicate, citrussy flavor.
- Italian herbs seasoning - if you'd like to skip individually measuring the basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and marjoram, you can use an Italian herbs seasoning blend instead.
- Celtic sea salt -
- Red pepper flakes -
- Olive oil - use a high quality olive oil whose flavor you love.
To make this bread dip, we will use the following method:
- You can mix the herbs, salt, and red pepper flakes months in advance and store in an airtight container like a jar.
- When ready to serve, mix with grated parmesan cheese and olive oil.
Tips and Tricks to Make Bread Dip & FAQs
Use Italian herbs seasoning. Don't want to measure out all of your herbs? Skip the spoons and replace the basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, and marjoram with a tablespoon of Italian Herbs seasoning mix instead.
Use coarse salt. Using a crunchy, coarse salt with texture adds salty flavor without additional sodium, as well as adding texture to your dip.
Give as a gift. You can mix up the herbs and place in a jar with a handmade label or decoration for a neighbor or teacher gift that is delicious and thoughtful!
Skip the cheese. If you're dairy-free or looking for a cheese substitute, you can use nutritional yeast, vegan parmesan, or just skip the parmesan altogether.
Dip mixed with parmesan should be used within three days if stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator.
Herbs and spices without parmesan and oil can be stored for up to four months.
Oil and herbs can be mixed and stored in an airtight container and kept in a cool, dry place for up to four months.
Fennel, Aleppo pepper, cayenne pepper, crunchy garlic, roasted garlic cloves, everything bagel seasoning mix, and lemon pepper seasoning all mix in deliciously into bread dip.
We love serving this with french bread, sourdough bread, baguettes, rolls, and any savory bread that is sliced for dipping.
What to Serve With Bread Dip
Our delicious Easy No Knead Bread and Easy Beer Bread are amazing dipped in olive oil and herbs - just like Yeast Rolls, french bread, focaccia, pita bread, or other savory breads!
We also like to drizzle this bread dip over noodles for a quick and easy pasta or in Pasta Salad!
While not all these breads below are sweet - or great for dipping in olive oil - you can find more of our bread recipes below:
The Best Easy Bread Dip Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Best Easy Bread Dip
Delicious oil and spice bread dip with fresh grated parmesan is the perfect starter.
- ½ teaspoon dried basil*
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme*
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary*
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano*
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram*
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 4-5 tablespoons of Olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix herbs and salt. If not serving immediately, place in a jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to four months.
- When ready to serve, pour herbs and salt onto a plate. Top with grated parmesan cheese, and drizzle olive oil over plate.
- Serve with crusty bread, breadsticks, or crackers to dip in olive oil.
*or 2 tablespoons Italian herbs seasoning blend
Serving Size1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving Calories 157Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 1mgSodium 290mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Leave a Reply