The Best Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe – perfect light, fluffy baked potatoes with a crispy skin right from your air fryer!
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Baked Potatoes in the Air Fryer
I know it might seem crazy to find a recipe for a simple baked potato – but this is no simple baked potato recipe!
These baked potatoes are light and fluffy, with an insanely crispy, crunchy skin that is bursting with flavor – these are the best baked potatoes you’ll ever make!
You’re going to wish you’ve been making baked potatoes in the air fryer all along – they are so delicious and so easy, plus it doesn’t heat up your whole house running the oven. Air frying is really kind of a misnomer, since air fryers are really more like small convection ovens, but they are amazing for making baked potatoes, Easy Air Fryer French Fries, Air Fryer Ribeye Steaks, The Best Air Fryer Bacon , The Best Air Fryer Keto Rolls, and so much more!
Serve these baked potatoes with sour cream, chives, green onions, fritos, pepper, salt, chili – whatever you love to top chili with!
You can make a big batch and serve them as meal prep ideas, since baked potatoes make a perfect easy lunch for work or school (if you have access to a microwave.)
How To Air Fry Baked Potatoes
To make this recipe, we will need the following ingredients:
- Russet potatoes. Russet potatoes have a thick outside skin, and light, fluffy starch interior making it the perfect potato for baking.
- Sea salt. Salt enhances the flavor of baked potatoes, and using a coarse sea salt gives you a bit of extra crunch and texture!
- Olive oil spray. Olive oil spray, or a bit of olive oil brushed on the skin of the potato, helps to crisp the potato skin and and helps it get a delicious, crunchy exterior.
- Butter. Baked potatoes aren’t the same without rich, delicious butter – the added fat helps to make the potato more savory and delicious, and butter makes everything better!
- Prep. Scrub potatoes well under cold running water, making sure to remove any excess dirt. Poke potato all over with a fork or sharp knife. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle salt over potato. Arrange in air fryer basket, without overcrowding, so potatoes have plenty of room to let air circulate around them.
- Air Fry. Cook in basket at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. Flip potato and cook another 5-20 minutes, depending on size – cook until potato is easily pierced by butter knife or fork with light pressure.
- Serve! When potato is ready, cut open and add pat of butter to top and serve!
Tips to Perfect Air Fryer Baked Potatoes and FAQs
Air frying baked potatoes is super simple – it’s just wash, spray, and cook – but there are a couple tips to make sure your potatoes are perfect, every time.
Use olive oil spray. If you’d like to skip using cooking spray, you can also rub potatoes with olive oil or a bit of melted butter before air frying. Rubbing with oil and salt helps flavor and crisp your potato skins in the air fryer, so you’ll want to gobble up every crispy, crunchy, delicious bit!
Pierce holes in potatoes. Make sure to pierce lots of little holes in your potato so there is plenty of room of steam to escape – we don’t want any exploding potatoes in the air fryer!
Use sweet potatoes. This method can be replicated for sweet potatoes as well.
Love air fried potatoes? Try making them the main dish with our Taco Stuffed Potatoes or Country Rib Stuffed Potatoes – or spoon some Double Beef Chili, Easy Beef Green Chile or Easy Green Chile Sauce to spoon over your air fryer baked potatoes!
Don’t overcrowd. Dont overcrowd your air fryer – the number one tip to perfect air fryer baked potatoes is to not overcrowd your air fryer, since the air fryer needs to have room for the air fryer to circulate hot air around so the potato skin can crisp up nicely.
Test doneness. Test for doneness – since potato size varies so much, you will need to determine when your potato is done to your liking. Give it a squeeze or poke with a fork to determine how soft your potato is and keep cooking if it is not soft enough for you yet.
Air fry baked potatoes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can use any kind of basket style air fryer for baked potatoes – including Instant Pot air fryer crossover models like Ninja Foodis and Instant Pots with the broiler lid attachment and air fryer basket.
Part of the tastiest part of air fryer baked potatoes is the crispy, crunchy potato skin – go ahead and eat it! It’s great with a little extra melted butter!
Russet potatoes bake well to light and fluffy and give the classic baked potato flavor, but any potato can be baked.
Other Potato Recipes You’ll Love
Find some of our favorite recent potato recipes like Roasted Pork Loin and Sweet Potatoes Recipe, Bacon Ranch Potato Salad, Italian Potato Salad, Garlic Butter Roasted Potatoes, Herb Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes, and more here:
You can find the rest of our potato recipe archives here.
If you’re looking for other delicious, easy air fryer recipes, please check out our air fryer recipe index here.
Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
The Best Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe - perfect light, fluffy baked potatoes with a crispy skin right from your air fryer!
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup butter
- Scrub potatoes well under cold running water, making sure to remove any excess dirt.
- Poke potato all over with a fork or sharp knife.
- Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle salt over potato.
- Arrange in air fryer basket, without overcrowding, so potatoes have plenty of room to let air circulate around them.
- Cook in basket at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Flip potato and cook another 5-20 minutes, depending on size - cook until potato is easily pierced by butter knife or fork with light pressure.
- When potato is ready, cut open and add pat of butter to top and serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 300Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 31mgSodium 406mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 5g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.