Easy Buttercreams Candy Recipe
Aug 31, 2020, Updated Mar 06, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy Buttercreams Candy Recipe – delicious easy candies loaded with buttercream frosting flavor for a classic nostalgic recipe the whole family loves!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Chocolate Dipped Buttercream Candy
We love these adorable easy candies in our house – they taste like a big bite of chilly buttercream icing, with a perfect chocolate shell that melts in your mouth with sweet buttery icing flavor that tastes just like sweets grandma used to make.
This delicious candy is super easy to make, and loaded with nostalgic charm – they are totally adorable.
If you love buttercream icing, and you love chocolate, these easy candies are going to be your next favorite treat!
Buttercreams are made from both chocolate and icing, which can melt when hot.
These easy candy treats will hold up for parties, but I like to chill them in the fridge before serving to keep them with a little bit of a chocolate crunch when you bite into them – this also keeps them from melting all over.
Store buttercreams in an airtight container (I line mine in parchment paper to prevent sticking or to keep them from taking on a plastic flavor) in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Buttercreams candies can be frozen for up to four months – pop one out next time you need a sweet treat, they naturally defrost quickly.
How To Make Buttercreams
To Make This Recipe, You’ll Need:
- Large Bowl Used to mix together the butter, cream cheese, salt, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar to create the buttercream filling.
- Stand mixer, hand mixer, or mixing spoon. Used to combine the ingredients for the buttercream filling, depending on the preferred method.
- Cookie Scooper. Used to portion out the buttercream filling into evenly-sized balls for easy shaping.
- Baking Sheet . Used to place the buttercream balls on before freezing and dipping in chocolate.
- Parchment Paper. Prevents the buttercream balls from sticking to the baking sheet and allows for easy removal.
- Dipping Tool (for a whole dipping tool set click here.) Used to dip the buttercream balls into melted chocolate and to remove them from the chocolate without creating fingerprints or smudges.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds a rich and creamy flavor to the candies and also helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Cream Cheese: Brings a tangy and slightly tart flavor to the candies and helps to balance out the sweetness of the powdered sugar.
- Salt: Enhances the other flavors in the candies and provides balance to the sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds a sweet and fragrant flavor to the candies and helps to enhance the other flavors.
- Powdered Sugar: Provides sweetness and helps to thicken the mixture into a dough-like consistency that can be molded into candies.
- Chocolate Melting Wafers: Provides a rich and chocolatey coating for the candies, adding a contrasting texture and flavor to the sweet and creamy buttercream filling.
- Sprinkles (optional): Adds a decorative touch to the candies and also provides a slight crunch and additional sweetness.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following process:
- Prep. In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Add in the sugar a cup at a time mixing between each addition until smooth.
- Chill. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- Shape & chill. After chilling, use a medium cookie scoop to measure out even balls of the buttercream mixture and place them on the prepared baking pan. Refrigerate for 2 more hours.
- Dip in chocolate. Melt the melting wafers ( I usually do this in two rounds to keep the chocolate fresh) in a glass. Dip the buttercreams in the chocolate with a spiral dipping tool, toothpick, or fork until fully coated and place back on the baking sheet.
- Add sprinkles & set. Add sprinkles after every few you dip because they will begin to harden and won’t stick after a couple of minutes. Allow the buttercreams to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes then transfer back to the refrigerator to chill for an additional 30 minutes to harden.
- Enjoy! Enjoy or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Tips to Perfect Buttercreams
Prep Ingredients. Gather buttercreams ingredients before creaming together frosting – once you get started, you want to get each step done quickly to prevent anything melting. Since we will be letting the candies set before dipping in chocolate candy, don’t worry about getting chocolate together until candies have set and are ready to be dipped.
Cream Butter, Cream Cheese, and Sugar. For easier creaming, use room temperature ingredients – but do not let cream cheese and butter become melted, or your candies will be oily and could separate giving you a weird texture.
Chill. Let mixture refrigerate before rolling out with cookie scooper (or your hands). If candy mixture is too soft, you will have blobs instead of perfect candy balls. Let candies chill again after forming into candy truffle shape so they can dip and retain a perfect shape.
Dip. Melt chocolate and dip candies into chocolate. You can use a toothpick, fork, or a dipping tool. Be sure to let set for a moment to let chocolate set – if you immediately place in refrigerator, the chocolate will whiten. Use time chocolate is setting to add sprinkles!
Chill to Set. Let buttercreams set in the refrigerator after dipping in chocolate to firm them and keep their perfect shape! These buttercreams are easy, but there are a few tricks to make them perfect, pretty, and out of this world delicious every time.
Roll Them Out. You can roll the buttercreams into balls, but I prefer to press the scoop up against the edge of the bowl to create a flat surface and let them be a half circle.
Temper Your Chocolate. The chocolate needs to sit at room temperature for a few minutes after dipping because if you put them in the refrigerator too soon then the chocolate will start to get a white color to it.
Use A Glass To Dip. I like to use a wide mouth drinking glass to melt the chocolate because it makes the chocolate deeper which makes it easier to dip the buttercreams.
Other Delicious Treats You’ll Love
If you adore this candy as much as I do, please check out some of our other favorite easy and delicious treats, candies, and desserts!
All are simple with common ingredients – and are loaded with flavor your family will love!
Easy Classic Buttercreams Candy Recipe
If you love this easy buttercreams recipe, please be sure to rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 cup chocolate melting wafers
- Sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
- Add in the sugar a cup at a time mixing between each addition until smooth.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- After chilling, use a medium cookie scoop to measure out even balls of the buttercream mixture and place them on the prepared baking pan.
- Refrigerate for 2 more hours.
- Melt the melting wafers ( I usually do this in two rounds to keep the chocolate fresh) in a glass.
- Dip the buttercreams in the chocolate with a spiral dipping tool, toothpick, or fork until fully coated and place back on the baking sheet. Add sprinkles after every few you dip because they will begin to harden and won’t stick after a couple of minutes.
- Allow the buttercreams to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes then transfer back to the refrigerator to chill for an additional 30 minutes to harden.
- Enjoy or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Nutrition InformationYield 48 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 140Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 11mgSodium 32mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 0gSugar 17gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.