Easy Peppermint Buttercreams Candy Recipe – delicious easy candies loaded with peppermint and buttercream frosting flavor for a classic nostalgic recipe the whole family loves!
If you’re looking to quickly get to the recipe, please click the “skip to recipe” button above in the top right corner, click on the specific section you’re looking to get to in the table of contents below, or scroll to the bottom of the page.
We get lots of questions and requests for more information – as well as readers who want to get straight to it – and adding these options is our way to make everyone happy!
Table of contents
Christmas Buttercream Candies
Do you love the flavor of buttercream frosting?
We do so much, we love making buttercream candies – dipped in chocolate – that melt in your mouth and are loaded with classic nostalgic dessert flavor.
These easy Christmas buttercream candies are just like our Easy Buttercreams recipe – but loaded with peppermint flavor and are great for neighbor gifts and cookie exchanges!
If you love this delicious easy recipe, be sure to visit our dessert archives and check out some of our Christmas Cookie Party suggestions below!
How To Make Buttercreams
Buttercreams are incredibly easy to make – but they do require a bit of chilling and proper prep work for a perfect texture.
Follow the steps below to get perfect easy candies!
This recipe uses common kitchen tools , so you won’t need too worry about finding a bunch of random items to make these buttercreams.
If you’d like to buy my suggested items, please click my affiliate links below:
- Large Bowl
- Stand mixer, hand mixer, or mixing spoon
- Cookie Scooper
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Dipping Tool (for a whole dipping tool set click here.)
- Prep. In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, cream cheese, peppermint, extract, vanilla, and salt until smooth.Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time mixing until smooth between each addition.
- Chill. Cover the mixing bowl and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.After chilling, use a medium cookie scoop to measure out even balls of the buttercream mixture and place them on the prepared baking pan. Refrigerate the balls for 2 additional hours.
- Melt. Melt the melting wafers (I usually do this in two rounds to keep the chocolate fresh) in a glass.
- Dip. Dip the buttercreams in the chocolate with a spiral dipping tool, toothpick, or fork until fully coated and place back on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkles. Add sprinkles after every few you dip because they will begin to harden and won’t stick after a couple of minutes.
- Chill. Allow the buttercreams to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes then transfer back to the refrigerator to chill for an additional 30 minutes to harden.
- Enjoy! Enjoy or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Tips to Perfect Buttercreams
Use room temperature ingredients. For easier creaming, use room temperature ingredients – but do not let cream cheese and butter become melted, or your candies will be oily and could separate giving you a weird texture.
Chill. Let mixture refrigerate before rolling out with cookie scooper (or your hands). If candy mixture is too soft, you will have blobs instead of perfect candy balls. Let candies chill again after forming into candy truffle shape so they can dip and retain a perfect shape.
Dip with a toothpick or fork. Melt chocolate and dip candies into chocolate. You can use a toothpick, fork, or a dipping tool.
Chill to set. Let buttercreams set in the refrigerator after dipping in chocolate to firm them and keep their perfect shape!
How to store buttercreams. Buttercreams are made from both chocolate and icing, which can melt when hot. These easy candy treats will hold up for parties, but I like to chill them in the fridge before serving to keep them with a little bit of a chocolate crunch when you bite into them – this also keeps them from melting all over. Store buttercreams in an airtight container (I line mine in parchment paper to prevent sticking or to keep them from taking on a plastic flavor) in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Freeze buttercream candies. Buttercreams candies can be frozen for up to four months – pop one out next time you need a sweet treat, they naturally defrost quickly. These buttercreams are easy, but there are a few tricks to make them perfect, pretty, and out of this world delicious every time. Please check out my tips below for perfect results every time!
Roll them out. You can roll the buttercreams into balls, but I prefer to press the scoop up against the edge of the bowl to create a flat surface and let them be a half circle.
Temper chocolate. The chocolate needs to sit at room temperature for a few minutes after dipping because if you put them in the refrigerator too soon then the chocolate will start to get a white color to it.
Use a glass to dip. I like to use a wide mouth drinking glass to melt the chocolate because it makes the chocolate deeper which makes it easier to dip the buttercreams.
- What are peppermint buttercream candies?
- Can I use other flavors instead of peppermint?
- How long do the candies last?
- Can I make the candies ahead of time?
- Can I decorate the candies with sprinkles or other toppings?
- How do I prevent the chocolate from melting when handling the candies?
Peppermint buttercream candies are small bite-sized candies made with a creamy buttercream filling that is flavored with peppermint extract and coated with chocolate or candy melts.
Yes, you can use other flavors of extracts such as vanilla, almond, or orange, to flavor the buttercream filling.
Can I use milk or dark chocolate instead of candy melts?
Yes, you can use milk or dark chocolate instead of candy melts to coat the candies. However, keep in mind that the texture and taste of the candies may be slightly different.
The candies can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Yes, you can make the candies ahead of time and store them in the fridge or freezer until ready to serve.
Yes, you can decorate the candies with sprinkles, crushed candy canes, or other toppings to make them more festive and colorful.
To prevent the chocolate from melting when handling the candies, use a toothpick or fork to dip the candies into the chocolate and tap off any excess before placing them on a lined baking sheet to harden. You can also refrigerate the candies for a few minutes after dipping them in chocolate to help the chocolate set.
Other Holiday Treats
Buttercreams are one of our favorite easy holiday treats – I hope you love them as much as we do!
If you’re looking for even more sweet treats and cookie party ideas, please check out some of our following recipes:
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Butter Cookies Recipe
- The Best Easy Chewy Sugar Cookies Ever Recipe
- Chewy Molasses Cookies
- The Best Easy Peanut Butter Bread Recipe
- Gooey Butter Red Velvet Cake Cookies
- Candy Cane Cake Batter Microwave Fudge
- Candy Cookie Dough Fudge
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
Easy Peppermint Buttercreams Candy Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Easy Peppermint Buttercreams Candy Recipe
Easy Peppermint Buttercreams Candy Recipe - delicious easy candies loaded with peppermint and buttercream frosting flavor for a classic nostalgic recipe the whole family loves!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 cup chocolate melting wafers
- Sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, cream cheese, peppermint, extract, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time mixing until smooth between each addition.
- Cover the mixing bowl and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- After chilling, use a medium cookie scoop to measure out even balls of the buttercream mixture and place them on the prepared baking pan.
- Refrigerate the balls for 2 additional hours.
- Melt the melting wafers (I usually do this in two rounds to keep the chocolate fresh) in a glass.
- Dip the buttercreams in the chocolate with a spiral dipping tool, toothpick, or fork until fully coated and place back on the baking sheet.
- Add sprinkles after every few you dip because they will begin to harden and won’t stick after a couple of minutes.
- Allow the buttercreams to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes then transfer back to the refrigerator to chill for an additional 30 minutes to harden.
- Enjoy or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Amount Per Serving Calories 140Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 11mgSodium 32mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 0gSugar 17gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Leave a Reply