Edible Brownie Batter Recipe – delicious rich fudgy brownie batter that is made to eat raw so you can lick the whisk, worry-free!
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Simple Delicious Edible Brownie Batter
If you love to lick the whisk when making brownies, this batter is made safe to eat raw!
Try this chocolatey and fudgy edible brownie batter. It’s so fast and easy to make, with just five minutes of prep time.
Brownie Batter is delicious, and it’s a great dessert to share.
I know when you’re making brownies, it’s tempting to lick the spoon, but you know you’re not supposed to. Now you can get that flavor safely!
Try this easy recipe with a variety of toppings, pairings, or mix-ins – this is a simple base recipe to use as an opportunity to get creative!
I print this recipe and keep it on hand then mix it up!
How To Make Edible Brownie Batter
This is the easiest edible brownie batter recipe to make. It only takes five minutes!
How to Heat Treat Flour
The first step is heat-treating the brownie box mix because it contains raw flour.
Pour the box mix powder into a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave it in four 30-second intervals, stirring it in between, until it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant-read kitchen thermometer.
Mixing Edible Brownie Batter
Mix in melted butter and cream until fully combined. I prefer to do this with my stand mixer (LINK) as it helps to get that perfect fluffy texture.
Allow the batter to chill for at least 30 minutes for it to firm up. I like to let it cool completely for the best texture.
Mix in chocolate chips or other toppings or mix-ins before serving. I prefer the mini chocolate chips because I like the way they distribute in this batter. Feel free to get creative with this step!
Tips To Perfect Edible Brownie Batter and FAQs
This edible brownie batter is super simple to make and mix, but there are a couple of tips and tricks to make it perfect, every time.
How to use an instant-read kitchen thermometer
When using an instant-read kitchen thermometer, make sure to insert the end of the thermometer into the middle of the mix—either not inserting it far enough or allowing it to touch the edges of the bowl, as that can give you inaccurate results.
Storage and freezing instructions
Edible brownie batter can be stored in a covered container for up to five days in the refrigerator. This is also easy to freeze and save for later.
I prefer to freeze this batter in smaller single-serving batches. Simply spoon individual servings onto a baking sheet with parchment paper and allow them to freeze partially, then double-wrap the balls. When pulling it from the freezer, allow it to thaw naturally.
Toppings, mix-ins, and compliment ideas
Try these toppings, mix-ins, or compliments. One fun idea is to set out several of these options and allow each person to customize their own!
- Fudge Sauce – what is more classic than a cholocatey brownie batter with fudge sauce drizzled on top? It’s a decadent treat. I like my fudge sauce either at room temperature of even slightly warmed up.
- Whipped cream – brownie batter with a dollop of whipped cream on top is the perfect dessert.
- Nutella – Nutella, a hazlenut cocoa spread, has gained popularity in recent years, with good reason. It’s the perfect way to offset the gooey goodness of the brownie batter.
- Sprinkles – Sprinkles can make anything into a celebration! Try sprinkles to match the season for some added fun!
- Strawberries – The chocolate from the brownie batter mixed with the brightness of ripe strawberries perfectly captures that classic flavor combo!
- Walnuts – There’s a reason so many people add walnuts to their baked brownies, and they’re just as good in brownie batter too!
- Butterscotch chips – I love how butterscotch chips can amp up this delicious brownie batter!
- Peanut butter chips – Like butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips can completely change the flavor of this yummy treat. Try these for the peanut butter lover in your life!
- Ice cream – There’s nothing as good as a few spoonfuls of brownie batter in a bowl coupled with ice cream. The perfect combo!
- A bold red wine – Look, some days you just need a bowl of brownie batter and a bold Cabernet or a spicy Shiraz. We’ve all been there.
Although it is possible to bake this batter, I would not recommend it. Since it doesn’t have eggs it won’t turn out very well.
Flour doesn’t seem like a risk to eat raw, but it does carry a risk and should be heated to over 165 degrees to remove the risk of food-borne illness before consuming.
If you have leftovers I store in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Other Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love
If you’ve got a hankering for something chocolatey, look no further than some of our favorite recipes, like Edible Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, German Chocolate Cookies, and even The Best Slow Cooker Chili – yes, it really has chocolate in it!
Edible Brownie Batter Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Edible Brownie Batter Recipe - delicious rich fudgy brownie batter that is made to eat raw so you can lick the whisk, worry-free!
- 1 box brownie mix heat treated
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chocolate chips optional
- To heat treat brownie mix, place mix in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for four 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the mix reads 165°F on an instant-read kitchen thermometer.
- Add the melted butter and heavy cream to the heat-treated brownie mix and mix until fully combined.
- Let cool in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes to help let the batter thicken.
- Mix in the chocolate chip before enjoying if desired.
- Store this Edible Brownie Batter in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to five days. You can also freeze it for up to three months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
ThermoPro TP19H Waterproof Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling with Ambidextrous Backlit and Motion Sensing Kitchen Cooking Food Thermometer for BBQ Grill Smoker Oil Fry Candy Thermometer
Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - 12 oz - 3 pk
Duncan Hines Brownie Mix, Dark Chocolate Fudge (3 Pack)
Rusticity Wood Serving Bowl - Small | Handmade | (4 inch)
Amount Per Serving Calories 146Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 32mgSodium 71mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.