Get ready for this delicious Dr. Seuss Grinch flavored popcorn! Your kids will be delighted with this marshmallow coated green popcorn for your family Holiday movie night!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Sweet and Salty Grinch Popcorn
Mr. Grinch was a mean one with a heart two sizes too small, this sweet and salty popcorn would have put a smile on even his face! My kids love popcorn as a snack and as a treat while we are watching movies. I like to use an air popper to make popcorn and my kids just love watching the kernels hop in the blower until they pop!
Our family has always been really into Christmas movies, and I will admit I still love the Grinch movie even as an adult! I wanted to create a fun sweet popcorn that would reflect the Dr. Seuss spirit and of course green it was! This delicious sweet and salty popcorn uses a marshmallow coating with food coloring to make it a fun Grinchy green. See tips and tricks below for how to make an easy natural green food coloring!
How to make Grinch Popcorn
To make Grinch Popcorn first assemble the following ingredients:
- Popped Popcorn - you can use popcorn that is popped in a bag in the microwave or home-popped corn. Either way you don't want the movie theater buttered popcorn. If your popcorn is microwave bag popcorn just go for the plain sea salt type.
- Salted Butter - I use salted butter to thin the marshmallow a bit. It is very difficult to not burn melting marshmallows without butter in the pan. You can substitute margarin in an equal amount.
- Mini Marshmallows - mini marshmallows are ideal for melting since they melt much more evenly and quickly than regular marshmallows. You can substitute traditional sized marshmallows if you want just make sure you stir more frequently.
- Green Food Coloring - I like to use food coloring gel but you can use liquid food coloring if you prefer. See FAQs section below for tips on how to make a natural green food coloring.
- Christmas M&Ms - M&Ms add a rich chocolatey taste and also a festive pop of color. You can use regular M&Ms if you can't find the seasonal red and green ones.
Once you have assembled the ingredients use the following method:
- Melt your mixture. In a heavy bottom saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mini marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and add green food coloring until you get that Grinchy green.
- Coat. Coat the popcorn with the marshmallow mixture well. Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the coated popcorn onto it.
- Add and finish. Add the M&Ms to the popcorn while the marshmallow is still warm. Let it cool then enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Grinch Popcorn
See our tips and tricks and frequently asked questions below for perfect tasty Grinch popcorn.
Take it slow with the green. When adding the food coloring remember you can always add more but you can't take it back. Its best to add a little at a time and mix well after each addition till you get the desired color.
Mix it up. You can add other candies and sprinkles in addition to or instead of the M&Ms recommended in this recipe. The possibilities are endless!
If you want to use oil instead of butter, I recommend you use an equal amount of coconut oil. Coconut oil solidifies at room temperature as opposed to most oils which makes it ideal for this popcorn since you don't want it to feel oily to the touch.
If you want to make your own natural green dye you can do so by cooking 3 cups of spinach in a pan on the stovetop. After you have cooked it down put it in some cheesecloth and squeeze the green juice from the spinach into a small bowl. The juice is a natural green food coloring, and it won't affect the taste of your popcorn at all!
You can store leftover popcorn in a Ziplock bag on your countertop for 3-4 days.
What to Enjoy With Grinch Popcorn
You will love any of these festive drinks alongside your Grinch Popcorn - we love slow cooker hot chocolate, homemade eggnog, homemade hot cocoa mix - and of course, all of our delicious easy Christmas cookies!
For more Christmas recipes click here!
Grinch Popcorn Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Your kids will love this Dr. Seuss themed Christmas popcorn!
- 10 cups Popped Salted Popcorn
- 3 tablespoons Butter, salted
- 3 cups Mini Marshmallows
- Green food coloring
- ½ Cup Mini Marshmallows
- M&M Christmas Candies
- Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Add mini marshmallows to pan and stir until melted.
- Turn off heat.
- Add green food coloring to the marshmallow mixture, until it reaches that perfect Grinch color
- Coat popcorn with marshmallow mixture stirring quickly.
- Pour coated popcorn into a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Add M&M's while popcorn still warm and toss to coat.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Cook N Home Tri-Ply Clad Stainless Steel Stockpot with Lid, 8 Quart, silver
Food Coloring Set - 12 Color Food Grade Vibrant Food Dye Cherrysea Tasteless Liquid Color for Cake Decorating, Baking, Easter Egg, Icing, Fondant, Cooking, Slime Making DIY Supplies Kit - 0.35 Fl. oz (10 ml)/Bottles
Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows Miniature, 10 Oz
M&M Solid Milk Chocolate Christmas Candy - "Peanut" + "Peanut Butter" + "Holiday Mint" 9.9 - 11.4 Oz - Pack of 3 - Holiday Xmas Candies For Home Office School
Franklin's Original Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Machine Popper. Delicious & Healthy Movie Theater Popcorn Maker. FREE Organic Popcorn Kit. Makes Popcorn Just Like the Movies.
Presto 04821 Orville Redenbacher's Hot Air Popper
Amount Per Serving Calories 155Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 10mgSodium 113mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 14gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Leave a Reply