Hot Cocoa Mix
Nov 17, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cozy evenings with the fireplace crackling aren’t complete without some of this quick and simple hot cocoa in your hand and a big jar of mix in your pantry for your kids to raid. It also makes an awesome gift!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Who doesn’t like a big steaming hot mug of hot chocolate? One of my big gripes with store bought hot cocoa mix is that the good mix usually comes individually packaged and I feel like by the time I make 4 cups of cocoa for my family I have a bunch of packets that are just going to go into a landfill. Making your own mix is more environmentally friendly and only takes 5 minutes and a few basic ingredients.
Homemade hot cocoa mix also makes a great gift this holiday season for your family and friends. Just fill some cute jars with cocoa mix, tie some red ribbon around them and you will have a meaningful, useful, and budget friendly gift this holiday season.
How To Make Hot Chocolate Mix
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Powdered nonfat milk – you need milk in the mix to make it creamy and powdered milk works very well and stays good for a really long time. You can find powdered nonfat milk in the baking aisle of your grocery store. You will be combining the mix with warm milk when you make your hot cocoa so don’t worry about the milk fat content. See tip #2 below for more info.
- Powdered sugar – the fine consistency of powdered sugar makes it ideal for this mix since it will dissolve quickly in water. See tip #1 below for information on how to adjust the sweetness.
- Dutch process cocoa powder – Dutch process cocoa powder is unsweetened which is what we want for this recipe since there is already powdered sugar. If you do not have Dutch process cocoa powder, you can use unsweetened cocoa powder. I do not recommend using sweetened cocoa powder with this recipe because it will make your mix too sweet.
- Mini marshmallow bits – mini marshmallows bits are smaller than mini marshmallows which makes them cute and dissolve quickly to add richness to the hot cocoa. If you can’t find mini marshmallow bits you can use 1 cup of mini marshmallows.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Mix- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until they are completely combined and the marshmallows are distributed evenly. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Make Cocoa – When you are ready to make your hot cocoa, heat 1 cup of milk and add ½ cup of cocoa mix to make the perfect consistency.
- Sip – Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Hot Cocoa Mix:
See these tips and tricks for perfecting your cocoa mix.
Sweeten to Taste. If you have people in your family who want their mix more or less sweet you can reduce the amount of powdered sugar (my half max) and let each person sweeten their own.
Adjust the milk if you mix it with hot water. If you prefer to mix your cocoa mix with hot water instead of hot milk, be sure to use powdered whole milk (instead of nonfat) in the mix. It will still not be as rich but it will be much closer to a milk hot cocoa consistency and taste.
Can I adjust how chocolatey it is? – If you want a richer chocolate flavor I recommend you add a few semi-sweet chocolate chips to your mug before you add the hot milk and cocoa mix. They will melt in the hot milk and give a stronger chocolate flavor.
What’s the best way to keep this mix and how long will it keep? This mix will keep in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Other Favorite Drinks
If you like this cocoa mix you will also like, Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe, Horchata Spiked Latte, White Cocoa Peppermint Latte, Iced Peppermint Chocolate Cookies, Easy Double Chocolate Chunk Muffins Recipe, The Best Homemade Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate.
Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 ½ cups powdered nonfat milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ¾ cups Dutch process cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ½ cup mini marshmallow bits
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until they are fully combined. Make sure that the marshmallow bits are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour the mix into an airtight container until ready to use.
- Mix ½ cup of cocoa mix with 1 cup of warm whole milk and stir until no dry pockets remain.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Set of 3 Glass Mason Jar with Lid (1 Liter) | Airtight Glass Storage Container for Food, Flour, Pasta, Coffee, Candy, Dog Treats, Snacks & More | Glass Organization Canisters | 34 Ounces
Hoosier Hill Farm Mini Dehydrated Marshmallows, 1 Pound
Eat Well Premium Unsweetened Cacao Powder - 32 oz | Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder | Pure Dark Chocolate Powder for Baking & Drinking | 100% Natural Unsweetened Powdered Cocoa | Raw & Vegan Friendly
C&h Powdered Sugar 4 Lbs (1)
Anthony's Non Fat Milk Powder, 2 lb, Instant, Gluten Free & Non GMO
Nutrition InformationYield 35 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 49Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 8mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.